Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Color mosaic picture of Saturn
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini general discussion and science results
Ant103
Hello,

I always build some Mars images from the Mars Exploration Rover mission, but, occasionaly, I work with the raw data of Cassini.

Here is a color mosaic from pictures taken on the 11th september 2006.

click on the picture to enlarge wink.gif

This is the fist part of the image, Cassini seems to take the whole disk of Saturn.
Ian R
Bravo! A brilliant mosaic, indeed. smile.gif
dilo
Congratulations! Waiting for the remaining ones (I think this is one of them)... wink.gif
Ant103
I have juste finish the stitching of the picture of the mosaïc.

The full resolution by clicking on the picture.

So, it was hard to have a good stitching and a pretty good equivalence of luminosity. Some of pictures have the flare of the sun, which is very close to the planet. That the reason why there is some blue, green and red spot on the rings. So, I estimate that is the best that I can do with those images.
Toma B
Very nice...
It was more than year (or two) since we last saw whole Saturn and rings panorama in hi resolution.
Great!
climber
Very nice (ouais, vraiment) Ant 103.
You've got a sattelite there :
Click to view attachment
Someone able to identify it ?
ugordan
That's not a satellite, it's probably noise or dust on the optics. A satellite wouldn't register so nicely because it would have moved in its orbit considerably in 2-3 minutes between 3 exposures.

BTW, Ant103 very nice mosaic! If only there was no scattered light...
dilo
Some amazing multi-filter polar views taken on Oct,11 from 272000 Km...
Click to view attachment (MT2+CB2+BL2) Click to view attachment (MT3+MT2+CB2)
(do someoene has an interplanetary arrow? tongue.gif ).
Following parallel eye stereogram suggests an elevated bright region around dark centre:
Click to view attachment

EDIT: hey, I missed this stunning one: http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...4/W00019036.jpg

EDIT2: corrected from "crossed eyes stereogram" to "parallel eyes stereogram". I apologize...
helvick
OK - That last polar shot is astounding.
t_oner
Click to view attachment
Looks like a spiral galaxy.
helvick
Oh my God it's full of stars....

I was expecting a twin vortex type thinggy but to my eye there appear to be 5 storms in the interior of the polar vortex. Stunning.
dilo
..the circular step around central vortex has a perfect shape! ohmy.gif
Wow, Tayfun! How did you reprojected this?
t_oner
I did not use real projection, I projected it on a sphere and changed the camera angle.
dilo
QUOTE (Tayfun Öner @ Oct 15 2006, 08:36 AM) *
I did not use real projection, I projected it on a sphere and changed the camera angle.

A simple but brillant idea! I will use it in the future, thanks!
Bill Harris
> projected it on a sphere and changed the camera angle

That is how earth-based lunar photographs used to be "rectified". If you had a crater or mare foreshortened near the limb, you would make a slide of the photograph and project the slide onto a sphere (or inclined screen) and photograph it again with the camera above the sphere. This way you could see the crater "from above" and not foreshortened.

In this image I see many "cumulus-like" spots; I figure that there is not enough shear this close to the pole and the convection hot-spots are not disrupted. Good puzzle piece.

Good image, Tayfun.

--Bill
t_oner
As Bill explains this is a very old method. I think I first saw it in an old issue of Life magazine. They were reprojecting Luna 3 images.
edstrick
William Hartmann identified Mare Orientalis as an impact basin and essentially established the idea of "impact basins" as the largest craters using rectified lunar images in the middle 60's.

Found on ABEBooks.com: (on demand reprint)

Rectified lunar atlas; Supplement no. 2 to the Photographic lunar atlas by E. A. Whitaker [and others] Produced with the technical assistance of the staff of the Lunar & Planetary Laboratory & the Air Force Aeronautical Chart & Information Center.
Whitaker, Ewen Adair.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.