Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bob, wherefore art thou?
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
dvandorn
You know, this forum, while still incredibly rich and fulfilling, just isn't the same without Bob Shaw's wit and wisdom. I sincerely hope all concerned can get this connectivity problem fixed and we can see Bob back here soon.

-the other Doug
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Aug 13 2006, 10:12 AM) *
You know, this forum, while still incredibly rich and fulfilling, just isn't the same without Bob Shaw's wit and wisdom.

I've been wondering what happened to Shaka.
remcook
holiday?
djellison
Shaka appears to have thrown his toys out the pram and left after a long history of nonsense posts that punctuate his troubled history in this place. His posting lacked an inner monologue much of the time, and quite a few posts had to be deleted. He's one of the few members of a special group of people who each have their own dedicated moderators discussion thread. He's not banned or on the IP deny list, and he's welcome to post here, but clearly the fact that I insist on certain standards offends him.

Bob just can't get onto the forum - it's a connectivity issue - the host totally deny responsibility - and there's nothing more I can do to sort the situation sad.gif

Doug
RNeuhaus
I enjoyed the presence of Shaka. It is certain that he is a special person who spoke with a incredible jargon language. About, Bob, I cannot believe it. Is there another ISP in UK, then try with the other? Otherwise, he must move the town if he loves the USMF! smile.gif

Rodolfo
ugordan
While we're discussing "missing" people, I've been wondering what happened to Joe Knapp a.k.a. jmknapp. He used to do all sorts of nice simulations including that nifty Cassini raw image analysis tool. I haven't seen him post for ages now, the last time he logged on was back in April according to his profile.
Does anyone know what happened to him?
djellison
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Aug 13 2006, 09:31 PM) *
Is there another ISP in UK, then try with the other?

He has - and indeed trying via another ISP he can get in, but he's on cable at home and stuck with NTL as I understand.

For such purposes - there is this place - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/unmannedspaceflight/

Doug
Bill Harris
I emailed the LongLostBob from the Yahoo Groups UMSF backup today but haven't gotten a reply back yet. I plan to send him an update via email, if he needs it, but we might want to post periodic updates at the Yahoo site as long as he's incommunicado.

Tis a pity...

--Bill
mars loon
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Aug 13 2006, 10:17 PM) *
I emailed the LongLostBob from the Yahoo Groups UMSF backup today but haven't gotten a reply back yet. I plan to send him an update via email, if he needs it, but we might want to post periodic updates at the Yahoo site as long as he's incommunicado.

Tis a pity...

--Bill

Bob was always very helpful and insightful. I'll try emailing him also and hope the connectivity problem is quickly resolved. We need him for the VC campaign. Can he at least read along?
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 13 2006, 11:29 AM) *
but clearly the fact that I insist on certain standards offends him.

If you have kids Doug, I just KNOW they are not going to be the types who write on the walls or jump on the furniture. (If not, I have found that acetone works really well to remove crayons from unpainted surfaces. For painted surfaces I recomend a soft cloth and a mild bleach based cleanser.)
djellison
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Aug 14 2006, 11:37 PM) *
If you have kids Doug, I just KNOW they are not going to be the types who write on the walls or jump on the furniture

Certainly not in someone elses house while there are visitors around...no smile.gif

Doug
RNeuhaus
Maybe that Bob is imprisioned by the bad firewall rules on some point in its way to UMSF? unsure.gif

Rodolfo
djellison
I'm not sure what you actually mean - but I've double checked and tripple checked that Bob is NOT on the IP ban list.
ngunn
I'd like to add my voice to those missing Bob's posts. I hope to goodness we can have him back soon. The problem, wherever and whatever it is can't be insurmountable. As a favour, could someone in direct contact with Bob forward this to him?

Doug - I'd also noticed the silence from Joe Knapp mentioned above - any info?

regards,
Nigel
djellison
QUOTE (ngunn @ Aug 15 2006, 04:44 PM) *
I'd also noticed the silence from Joe Knapp mentioned above - any info?

Nothing from this end. No bad words, no contact at all. People just sometimes drift away..it happens sadly.

We've already got people trying to get in touch with Bob though - perhaps he's on his hols or something? Believe me, no one is as frustrated and pissed off as I that Bob can't get on to the board from his NTL connection - but I have tried everything, and I mean EVERYTHING that I possibly can to sort the situation. I am fully out of ideas, options and choices in terms of sorting that situation.

Doug
Phil Stooke
I've been emailing Bob from time to time. He's still around.

Phil
ngunn
QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 15 2006, 04:52 PM) *
Nothing from this end. No bad words, no contact at all. People just sometimes drift away..it happens sadly.

Nothing wrong with drifting away (electronically) but sometimes worse things happen to people. It's only natural to wonder if the 'disappeared' are actually OK. Obviously no cause for personal concern in Bob's case though, and thanks for all your efforts.
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 15 2006, 09:29 AM) *
I'm not sure what you actually mean - but I've double checked and tripple checked that Bob is NOT on the IP ban list.

You aced it!

What I am saying is that every ISP or any connection provider might have set up a firewall and some might made a mistake in definition of ban IP list that might block the traffic message. If you didn't get the IP response by the ping command, it might be one of the indications that it is already filtered or the message has already arrived at some point and that point is not allowed to reply (silent). You mentioned that he is not in the IP ban list in your site? If that is case, so you have already cleared it.

Rodolfo
dot.dk
Could he try connect to the site going through a proxy server perhaps?
Maybe that could be a way to get past a possible firewall unsure.gif
mcaplinger
I feel compelled to be that pedantic ass who points out that "wherefore art thou" means "why are you", not "where are you". See, e.g., http://www.cjr.org/issues/2003/3/lc.asp
ljk4-1
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Aug 15 2006, 03:01 PM) *
I feel compelled to be that pedantic ass who points out that "wherefore art thou" means "why are you", not "where are you". See, e.g., http://www.cjr.org/issues/2003/3/lc.asp

63% of Americans don't know that Mercury is the closest planet to the Sun,
so how can it be expected that they know some minor aspect of 500 year-old
English?

wink.gif
dvandorn
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Aug 15 2006, 02:01 PM) *

Yes, I knew that, Mike -- but I felt that the Shakespearian reference was appropriate, and besides, everyone knew what I meant. Which means that, whether or not I abused the original Olde English meaning of the word, I did effectively communicate what I wanted to get across... smile.gif

-the other Doug
chris
QUOTE (dot.dk @ Aug 15 2006, 06:21 PM) *
Could he try connect to the site going through a proxy server perhaps?
Maybe that could be a way to get past a possible firewall unsure.gif

I'm talking with Bob about this very thing. We shall see....

Chris
Phil Stooke
A Shaw by any other name would smell like feet?

Phil

(Come on Bob, I can't keep this up much longer)
odave
Be not afraid of bad ISPs; some are born with bad ISPs, some achieve bad ISPs, and others have bad ISPs thrust upon them...

[I know it's from a different play, but I'm just back from the Stratford (Ontario) Festival and that line was in my head wink.gif]
hendric
Wherefore art thou an ass, Mike?
Why do you ride the Internet Donkey of Pedantism?

smile.gif
djellison
http://www.b3tards.com/uploads/pedants.jpg

Pedants r us.

Doug
Phil Stooke
We could leave the wherefore business behind with a judicious application of "inflationary language".

Bob, Bob, wherefive art thou Bob?

Phil
Jeff7
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Aug 15 2006, 08:45 PM) *
A Shaw by any other name would smell like feet?

Phil

(Come on Bob, I can't keep this up much longer)

Alas, poor Bob Shaw, I knew him well!
stevo
QUOTE (Jeff7 @ Aug 16 2006, 09:45 PM) *
Alas, poor Bob Shaw, I knew him well!

I know it was probably deliberate, but as a charter member of pedants R us I am legally and morally obligated to point out that the correct quote is:

"I knew him, Horatio. A fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy" etc.

Steve
djellison
And no one said "Play it again Sam" either..
Rant over
Phil Stooke
Doug: And no one said "Play it again Sam" either..

Sure they did - people have been saying it ever since the movie came out. It's not in the movie, but it's been said just about everywhere else. In fact it's such a fixture in pop culture that the movie really ought to be 'corrected' to match expectations, like when old B/W movies are colorized. Correct the past, not the future - it's easier.

Phil
stevo
Ah Phil, you beat me to it. wink.gif

And incidentally, Jeff7 picked a pretty good quote for Bob.
"Alas poor Bob Shaw. I knew him, Horatio. A fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy"
Sounds a lot like Bob, aside from Yorick being dead and all.
edstrick
Maybe... somebody used him in place of a PaperClip?
ugordan
Just thought to let you know I contacted Joe Knapp. Everything's fine with him, which is nice to hear. He's just been too busy with other things lately to drop by more often. He'll be back, sure enough.
Bjorn Jonsson
QUOTE (ugordan @ Aug 22 2006, 10:48 AM) *
Just thought to let you know I contacted Joe Knapp. Everything's fine with him, which is nice to hear. He's just been too busy with other things lately to drop by more often. He'll be back, sure enough.

That's great news, his posts were usually highly interesting. Actually a slight relief as well since I emailed him a few months ago and didn't get a reply.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.