Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mars 500
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Mars
SkyeLab
Story @
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5221928.stm

" Six Russian volunteers are to get a taste of travelling to Mars, without ever leaving Moscow.

They will be locked up for 500 days in an airtight capsule resembling a spaceship, where they will eat sterile food and breath processed air.

The experiment is designed to help scientists better understand the demands of a long-haul space flight, in preparation for future Mars missions.

Researchers will start accepting the first applications this week. "

Project website @
http://www.imbp.ru/Mars500/Mars500-e.html

Volunteers????!?!?!?

Brian
djellison
If I didn't have a mortgage to pay, and could look after fhe forum from inside the capsule....I'd do it in a moment.

Doug
tedstryk
QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 28 2006, 07:13 AM) *
If I didn't have a mortgage to pay, and could look after fhe forum from inside the capsule....I'd do it in a moment.

Doug

I don't think I would do it even if they offered to pay off my morgage if I did.
chris
QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 28 2006, 08:13 AM) *

Doug

I'd check who your crewmates were first if I were you...
climber
QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 28 2006, 09:13 AM) *
Doug

I read yesterday that Steve Squyres applied to be an astronaut in 1984 (source : Espace magazine p97). We're lucky he was not accepted! wink.gif
I was happy enough to know that he likes climbing, now I read that he did the same, the same year as myself. I applied for France's astronauts corp in 1984.
Well, I didn't do quite as well afterwards biggrin.gif
Good on you Doug, but for me, Moscow is too far away biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif wink.gif
Nix
Hmm..I'd consider it if I didn't have two young kids to raise at this stage.

If they were offering a test-ride to Mars I wouldn't have to think though rolleyes.gif

Nico
ustrax
Any future opportunities?... rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.