Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NYT: Conversation with Neil deGrasse Tyson
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Conferences and Broadcasts
AlexBlackwell
The New York Times: Conversation with Neil deGrasse Tyson

In this interview, Dr. Tyson explains why he thinks America should spend billions of dollars to return to the moon. He also discusses scientific illiteracy in America and the challenges he faced becoming an astrophysicist.
deglr6328
I second. I never heard him speak in depth about much of anything before I saw this and always just thought he was another eh whatever semi-interested popularizer. But after watching that it is obvuious he is thoroughly worthy of his newfound fame (well "fame"). His exuberance and frank but eloquent exposition is really something. If you're in the US, expect to see lots more of him.
marsman
I heard him lead a panal on Robotic vs. Manned Space Exploration at the National Space Symposium this past spring. He was very animated, articulate, and passionate about exploring space. He's good at cutting through the bureacratic speel about the shuttle, the exploration initiative, and the like. Noting we spend billions on the shuttle and space station every year, he asked one of the panelists representing manned spaceflight, "Name one significant scientific achievement of the space station research activities?" No one had an answer. He had no answer. It was a great moment. Hope to hear from him more. Go Neil!
Myran
Hmm I wonder, a black guy, a planetarium and the name Tyson (and not getting sidetracked thinking of the boxer - ooops ust did!) but even I have head about this man. I think it was printed around the time he got the job in fact, part a personal portrait but he spent considerable time focusing on raising the interest in science among 'people of colour' since this was a bit back I dont think he's that 'new' escpecially since very little trickle down in my direction. tongue.gif
dvandorn
I have been very, very impressed with what I've seen of Dr. Tyson. He is extraordinarily well-spoken, has passion for his subject, and has the ability to convey his enthusiasm. Not all that many scientists have had these gifts -- Steve Squyres is one, and Carl Sagan was another. There are maybe another five or six scientists in the world today who possess these gifts to the same degree.

I'm very glad that Dr. Tyson seems to be aware of his gifts, and intends to use them for the betterment of science and of mankind.

-the other Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.