Full Version: Jim Bell Q'n'a, July 3, 2006
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Forum Guide and Announcements > Forum News
elakdawalla
Biggest Doug'n'Jim show ever...
Rover Audio Updates

Enjoy!

Emily
djellison
Special thanks to Emily, as for obvious reasons she's more than a little busy at the moment!

As you can tell from Jim's last few words, he's enjoying doing these - and I'm having a blast - add them up and we've had 2hrs 41mins of Pancam-o-rama.

Kudos to Jim for working on the Monday that most people take off for a 4 day Indep. W'end smile.gif

Doug
RNeuhaus
Does anyone interested to transcript the Doug's interview?

Rodolfo
mcaplinger
I have to take exception to one thing that Jim said, about the Pancam field of view. It isn't necessarily as simple as taking the IFOV and multiplying it by the number of pixels, because most optical systems with fields of view more than a few degrees have optical distortions that cause the IFOV to vary slightly from the center to the edge of the field. I'm not sure if the Pancams have appreciable distortion, but the Navcams certainly do.
ustrax
Great 1/2 hour Doug! It is always a pleasure to ear you and Mr. Bell talking about what you like... smile.gif

When I sent you the question my interest was mainly on the undergradute students' role, I'm glad Jim Bell followed that path, and even more for seing that he can establish a bridge between the him and Squyres and the new kids in town...
A great future in Mars exploration is guaranteed back there at Cornell. smile.gif
lyford
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jul 4 2006, 12:01 PM) *
Does anyone interested to transcript the Doug's interview?
Rodolfo

I can take a little bit later on but I am really busy now getting ready to move in July... more on this later tongue.gif

Thanks Doug, these are really special - I download them and play on iTunes in my car during the commute.

Though judging from Jim's comments about the BBQ pic I fear we may have "defamed" his art! Glad he has a sense of humor about it...

PS - ustrax - did Doug pronounce your name right on the tape? Because I always imagined it differently in my head.....
ustrax
QUOTE (lyford @ Jul 5 2006, 05:09 PM) *
PS - ustrax - did Doug pronounce your name right on the tape? Because I always imagined it differently in my head.....

The origin of 'ustrax' is in a celtic-latin word which means fire...Due to that I say it with a different pronounce, my own, nearer the latin one, it would sound something: 'u' as the 'o' in 'to', the 's' as the 'sh' in 'show', 'trax' was quite near only the 'a' should be a little bit more open as in 'potáto'.
To resume, it should sound like: oshtráx...Or something like that...Sorry if it sounds confusing... blink.gif
But it was great to ear it! smile.gif
djellison
QUOTE (lyford @ Jul 5 2006, 05:09 PM) *
Though judging from Jim's comments about the BBQ pic I fear we may have "defamed" his art! Glad he has a sense of humor about it...

You didn't hear us chatting about it before I hit the metaphorical record button smile.gif It was hillarious"

"MY BEAUTIFUL PANORAMA....!!!"

smile.gif

Doug
David
QUOTE (ustrax @ Jul 5 2006, 04:32 PM) *
'trax' was quite near only the 'a' should be a little bit more open as in 'potáto'.

That must be a British pohtahtoh, rather than an American pertayter. ohmy.gif
lyford
Well, I hope we cleaned up after the BBQ.... hate to have littered.
ElkGroveDan
Maybe next time you could ask him about the longer term plans for Spirit...surely they must be discussing what they want/can do if she makes it through the winter.
Nix
QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 5 2006, 06:55 PM) *
You didn't hear us chatting about it before I hit the metaphorical record button smile.gif It was hillarious"

"MY BEAUTIFUL PANORAMA....!!!"

smile.gif

Doug

laugh.gif

This was a very interesting Q 'n A ! I enjoyed it very much. smile.gif

Nico
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (lyford @ Jul 5 2006, 11:09 AM) *
I can take a little bit later on but I am really busy now getting ready to move in July... more on this later tongue.gif

No problem, there is no hurry to read it! The flavor of reading won't miss at any time biggrin.gif

Rodolfo
Analyst
Great as always. Just listened to it on my way to work. It's a pleasure these people take time to explain their work to us. I hope there will be a MER press conference in the near future. It's been a long time since the last one. I am also looking forward to read Jim Bell's blog at the Planetary Society. And yours Doug, too. smile.gif

Analyst
djellison
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Jul 4 2006, 10:38 PM) *
I have to take exception to one thing that Jim said, about the Pancam field of view. It isn't necessarily as simple as taking the IFOV and multiplying it by the number of pixels, because most optical systems with fields of view more than a few degrees have optical distortions that cause the IFOV to vary slightly from the center to the edge of the field. I'm not sure if the Pancams have appreciable distortion, but the Navcams certainly do.

From JB

In case anyone wants to know them, the similar IFOV numbers for the Navcam is 0.82 mrad/pixel, and for the Hazcam is 2.1 mrad/pixel.
This is ultimately the origin of statements like "Pancam has 3 times the resolution of the Navcams", etc. For reference, the MI gives 0.42 mrad/pixel, MPF IMP had 0.99 mrad/pixel and the Sojourner rover had 3.1 mrad/pixel, and the Viking Lander cameras had two modes that gave 0.70 and 2.1 mrad/pixel. These numbers are referenced and derived for the MER engineering cameras in a paper Justin Maki et al. wrote in JGR, vol 108, No. E12, pages 12-1 to 12-24, 2003.

Determining the total size of the field of view for these other cameras is not as simple as it is for Pancam, however. That's because most wider-field camera systems have appreciable geometric distortion. So you can't just take Navcam's 0.82 mrad and multiply by 1024 and convert to degrees. That will get you close, but not spot on, and the calculation is even worse for the Hazcams, which have an enormous amount of distortion. The details of those cameras' fields of view can be found in Justin's paper--which I hope is posted online somewhere for folks to access, but I am not sure. The reason that the simple "multiply 0.273 by 1024" equation works for Pancam is simply because there is *no* geometric distortion in the optical system. We tried hard to measure it so we could characterize and correct for it, if needed, but as we wrote in our 2003 JGR paper we couldn't detect *any* distortion down to a residual of 0.01% or so across the field--even in the corners. The Cooke triplet lenses, designed by optics guru Greg Smith (see Chapter 31 of Greg's book at http://www.zemax.com/kb/articles/103/1/The...r-Camera-Lenses
, http://www.mwoa.org/Ch31.pdf , and
http://bookstore.spie.org/index.cfm?fuseac...roductid=660181
for details), are just absolutely spectacular--as you can tell.

wink.gif

Doug
centsworth_II
"The reason that the simple "multiply 0.273 by 1024" equation works for Pancam is simply because there is *no* geometric distortion in the optical system." -- Jim Bell, quoted by DE

I'm impressed. As an innocent bystander to the various technical threads on imaging it has all seemed so complicated to me. Can it be? Finally... a simple truth?
mcaplinger
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Jul 7 2006, 07:31 AM) *
"The reason that the simple "multiply 0.273 by 1024" equation works for Pancam is simply because there is *no* geometric distortion in the optical system." -- Jim Bell, quoted by DE

Well, Jim certainly knows more about Pancam than I do, but it's a little surprising to me. Maybe it's because the lenses are so optically slow. The radial distortion parameters in the CAHVOR model for Pancam are certainly not zero, but that may be an artifact of the way the CAHVOR pinhole model works.
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 7 2006, 01:31 PM) *
Jim Bell - Determining the total size of the field of view for these other cameras is not as simple as it is for Pancam, however. That's because most wider-field camera systems have appreciable geometric distortion. So you can't just take Navcam's 0.82 mrad and multiply by 1024 and convert to degrees. That will get you close, but not spot on, and the calculation is even worse for the Hazcams, which have an enormous amount of distortion. The details of those cameras' fields of view can be found in Justin's paper--which I hope is posted online somewhere for folks to access, but I am not sure.

From Maki et al. [2003]:

"The Hazard Avoidance Cameras (Hazcams) are shown in Figures 8a and 8b. The Hazcams are an f/15 optical system with a focal length of 5.58 mm. The Hazcam optics are f-theta fish-eye lenses with a 124° × 124° horizontal/vertical field of view and a 180° diagonal FOV. The angular resolution at the center of the image is 2.1 mrad/pixel."

[...]

"The Navigation Cameras (Navcams, Figures 4a and 4b) are optically identical to the Descent camera: f/12 cameras with a 14.67 mm focal length. Each Navcam camera has a 45° × 45° field of view (60.7° diagonal), which is roughly equivalent to a 40 mm lens on a 35 mm camera. The angular resolution at the center of the field of view is 0.82 mrad/pixel. The depth of field of the Navcam camera ranges from 0.5 m to infinity, with best focus at 1.0 m."
fredk
QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 7 2006, 01:31 PM) *
From JB

The reason that the simple "multiply 0.273 by 1024" equation works for Pancam is simply because there is *no* geometric distortion in the optical system. We tried hard to measure it so we could characterize and correct for it, if needed, but as we wrote in our 2003 JGR paper we couldn't detect *any* distortion down to a residual of 0.01% or so across the field--even in the corners.

Doug, thanks for directing me to the more appropriate thread.

I have to disagree with that figure for distortion of 0.01%. There is a fundamental intrinsic distortion present in any optical system, completely independent of the quality of the optics (indeed it exists for a pinhole camera!). It arises because the goal of imaging is always to represent a section of an imaginary sphere surrounding the camera on a flat image plane. In exactly the same way that you cannot represent a section of the earth without distortion on a flat map, any flat image contains fundamentally irreducible distortion (ie even image processing cannot eliminate it).

I suspect the distortion figure that Bell was quoting referred to the amount of pinhole or barrel distortion. These can be eliminated. Thus if we image a grid of straight lines on a card normal to the line of sight, the lines will be straight on the image. But distortions remain, in particular radial and azimuthal angular image scales will have to differ.

Just as with maps of earth, the irreducible distortions increase with the size of the section of the sphere we're imaging, ie with the field of view. It's straightforward to calculate the size of the irreducible distortion.
Suppose we're imaging a circle, normal to the line of sight, whose radius subtends angle theta(radians) at the camera. Then it's angular circumference will be 2 pi sin(theta). Lets suppose the angular image scale is constant in the radial direction. Then, working from the image, if that image scale gives us theta for the radius of the circle, it must give us 2 pi theta for the circumference, in disagreement with the actual circumference of 2 pi sin(theta).

The relative error is specified by the ratio, R = 2 pi sin(theta) / 2 pi theta = sin(theta)/theta. As expected this ratio approaches unity, ie distortion approaches zero, as fov theta approaches zero. For pancam we have theta = 8 degrees, which gives R = 0.9968. Therefore the radial and azimuthal angular image scales must differ by (1 - R) = 0.32%. (Actually the value will be even larger in the corners.) This irreducible distortion is much larger than the quoted value 0.01%.

This ratio R is important when converting pixel separations to angular separations, since the scale factor used to do this (0.273mrad/pixel) must vary by at least 0.32% across the frame and for different orientations. Eg, when comparing a line through the centre of the fov (radial) vs. a line across one edge (more or less azimuthal).

Of course in the end the effect is still small. 0.32% corresponds to an error of only 3 pixels for a 1024 pixel line! Indeed according to the Bell et al JGR (2003) paper, the fov's of the 4 pancams vary by a comparable amount! (It's not clear if this is just measurement uncertainty).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.