Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UMSF BBQ
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
Astro0
OK, this is it...the final version of the BBQ photo.
Finally Doug and Helen arrived (better late than never) wink.gif
Even though the venue lacked a little atmosphere, everyone agreed that it was worth the 400 million kilometre voyage, and of course the company was excellent!

EDIT Dec2010: Links broken to images on my old and now dead webspace.
Here's a small version to see who was at the BBQ.
Click to view attachment

Thanks to everyone who contributed.
It was a lot of fun cool.gif

Enjoy
Astro0
paxdan
Thanks Astro0 it's brilliant
dvandorn
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Jul 1 2006, 03:31 AM) *
...Even though the venue lacked a little atmosphere, everyone agreed that it was worth the 400 million kilometre voyage, and of course the company was excellent!

Yes, the company was quite excellent -- but for a BBQ, I think next time I'll suggest Venus. Because, at this event, no matter how fast I ate my food off the grill, it was always cold!

biggrin.gif

-the other Doug
nprev
TERRIFIC work, Astro0, and thanks so much for adding me late in the game...the beer is still enroute due to a prolonged aerobraking process for the delivery vehicle (you don't want to shake it up too much, ya know.... laugh.gif )
djellison
VERY cool smile.gif

Doug
Astro0
Thanks everyone.
Please note that I have amended the above files as I accidentally left out RNeuhaus. Also added a wallpaper version following an email request.

Enjoy smile.gif
Astro0
Bob Shaw
Astro0:

Well done! It's taken a long time, but most of us regulars finally made it! I see, however, that only one participant turned up in fancy dress (some guy in a spacesuit)!

Now, the next task: an animated .gif of the various images made on the way to the final one, showing us arriving...

Bob Shaw
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Jul 2 2006, 07:52 AM) *
Thanks everyone.
Please note that I have amended the above files as I accidentally left out RNeuhaus. Also added a wallpaper version following an email request.

Enjoy smile.gif
Astro0

Thanks Astro0 for your quick reaction!

Your idea to use a BBQ in an very exotic place, such as close to Hill Columbia and Spirit, that every fan HARDCORE want to be is a brillant! smile.gif wink.gif

Rodolfo
lyford
Wonderful, thanks for all your work...!
dilo
Thanks again, Astro0. Who's interested to legend-included version, will find below.
mars loon
beautiful work Astro0. thank you biggrin.gif

maybe add the Sol for posterity and I like Bob's gif idea

any plans for a Victoria Crater arrival celebration ?

ken
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (mars loon @ Jul 2 2006, 10:16 PM) *
any plans for a Victoria Crater arrival celebration ?

ken

Ken:

I think some of the folk in the other thread (you know, The One That Must Not Be Named) might only be satisfied with an image featuring a steep cliff and a lot of lemmings). I'll stick to the BBQ...

Bob Shaw
ustrax
Great work Astro0!!!
Surely a great way to celebrate the gathering of so many different personalities in this forum! smile.gif
ngunn
A Big thanks to Astro0 -and whoever first thought of the idea - was it Bob? Superb work and a grand souvenir.

Now from the sublime to the ridiculous. I suggested before that our next UMSF day out could be a balloon trip over Titan. Nobody responded then, so now that the BBQ is complete I have deployed my entire image handling knowhow (Word and Publisher) to create this promotional mock-up:

Click to view attachment

Just think how grandly we could travel with the aid of some decent artwork - a glass-walled gondola slung beneath a sleek zeppelin perhaps . . .
Astro0
A trip to Titan! Well, Huygens would make a nice BBQ plate. wink.gif
However, I think I'll leave that one to another of the digital artists out there. I'm worn out from the BBQ pic for a while at least.
I'm thinking that a gathering at Victoria might be nice.
I can place certain people on the 'far rim' and others on the 'near rim'.
Just kidding! smile.gif

Cheers
Astro0
nprev
I'm certain that Victoria will prove to be a MOST interesting place for a BBQ....just let me know & I'll schedule the delicious liquid refreshment launch appropriately! biggrin.gif
ngunn
QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 4 2006, 01:50 AM) *
I'm certain that Victoria will prove to be a MOST interesting place for a BBQ...

....or an open-air rock concert? (We must have a few members for the band, surely???)
CosmicRocker
Astro0: Your work is most amazing. What fun this has been. ngunn, sign me up for the ballon trip while tickets are still available...
ngunn
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jul 5 2006, 06:46 AM) *
Astro0: Your work is most amazing. What fun this has been. ngunn, sign me up for the ballon trip while tickets are still available...

Glad you fancy the balloon trip. But first we require the services of an image wizard (other than Astro0 who has certainly done his share) to do the following:

1. Take the top (near-horizon) half of one of the Huygens-derived 360 degree panoramas and make an 'endless' movie of it scrolling very slowly past to act as backdrop.

2. Locate or create a suitable balloon gondola or airship observation lounge for us to ride in with our scarves, binoculars or whatever (beer?).

Do we have a volunteer? If and when we do then I think that saintly person will be in charge of the tickets.
volcanopele
I can't believe I didn't notice these threads before. Here is the most recent full body shot of me that I am aware of (from the other day):

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~jani/randompic.../100_3383_.html

Or me sitting preparing to be outraged (as you can see from the above pic, and the fact I am wearing an Italy shirt, I wasn't):

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~jani/randompic.../100_3364_.html
helvick
I think I may have missed the boat but here's me hanging out with some columnar basalt last weekend.
Click to view attachment
dilo
Astro0, I suspect you have to make a post-final version, do not forget also our returned friend Nirgal (Bernhard, give us a picture!).
Volcanopele, I'm very glad to know you're an Italy soccer fan!!! wink.gif
Astro0
The BBQ is definitely over. However, a new get together over at Victoria Crater may happen once Oppy arrives and checks the lay of the land for us.

Keep an eye out for invitations to that one.

As for Italian footaball...can I forgive their players theatrics that meant that Australia's Socceroos were knocked out of the World Cup!!! sad.gif

Still, it was fun while it lasted. Blame the referee I guess blink.gif

Astro0
nprev
Astro0, is there indeed another BBQ planned for Victoria after a suitable image set is acquired...? smile.gif

(Sorry to noodge...but loved the first gathering!)
Astro0
QUOTE (nprev @ Sep 7 2006, 04:27 PM) *
Astro0, is there indeed another BBQ planned for Victoria after a suitable image set is acquired...? smile.gif
(Sorry to noodge...but loved the first gathering!)

Hi nprev,
Yes, I think that an appropriate gathering around the rim of VC would be great.
Let's see what the other image-gurus come up with.
There'll be another BBQ, it's just a matter finding the right place.

Astro0
nprev
Great news, and thanks!!! biggrin.gif I'll try to acquire a pic of myself that looks a bit more appropriate for the occasion...
Pertinax
Oh what wonderfull news!! I missed the first BBQ and was rather glum about the whole thing for several days.

I'll have to go get ready.... (BYOB? tongue.gif )

-- Pertinax
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.