Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for Michael A. Minovitch
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Conferences and Broadcasts
Jay Gallentine
Hello All,

My name is Jay Gallentine and I am researching a book on unmanned space probes. It's a nontechnical approach, stressing the human side of things.

Short of knocking on doors, I've been unable to get in touch with Mike Minovitch, the former JPL part-time employee who, some might say, discovered what ultimately led to Voyager.

Perchance, does anyone know whether he's still with us, where he might be, his phone number, etc. etc.? I'd love to chat with him.

Please feel free to contact me any time.

Thanks to all,
Jay Gallentine

jay at firingroom dot com
Cel 612-387-6481
Bob Shaw
Jay:

Would that be the Michael A Minovitch of Phaser Telepropulsion Inc (based in Los Angeles), who was certainly contributing papers to the AAS and JBIS in the early 90s, generally relating to new propulsion concepts...

Bob Shaw
babakm
My last name in Minovi and I would've killed for a part-time job at JPL. Does that help? biggrin.gif
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (babakm @ Jun 25 2006, 10:39 PM) *
My last name in Minovi and I would've killed for a part-time job at JPL. Does that help? biggrin.gif

Only if you sorta single-handedly invented (well, 'found') the whole business of gravitational slingshots! Mike Minovitch is one of *the* heroes of unmanned space exploration!

Bob Shaw
tasp
Someone named Flandro (hope I spelled it right) IIRC was also involved.

Also, although I don't suspect he did any math on it, I believe Arthur Clarke was aware of the possibility in a reference to it in the Sands of Mars published in the early fifties.
Jay Gallentine
Hi Folks, you are amazing. Looks like it's the same guy at Phaser. I will try ringing him tomorrow.

Whether it's him or not, I'll let you know!

Jay Gallentine
PhilCo126
That's correct tasp, both Gary FLANDRO and Michael MINOVITCH were involved in plotting the Grand Tour for the Voyager spacecraft wink.gif

http://www.utsi.edu/Faculty/facres/gflandro/flandr_r.html
Jay Gallentine
Hi Folks,

Looks like the number for Phaser Telepropulsion comes up as a fax machine.

The number I have is 323-644-0375.

I think I might actually try sending a fax to this, politely asking if it's still home to Phaser and, by extension, Dr. Minovitch.

If anyone else has contact info, I'd be interested!

Best,
Jay Gallentine

jay at firingroom dot com
Cel 612-387-6481
Jay Gallentine
Howdy,

I was able to locate Dr. Minovitch by other means. Had a brief yet nice chat with him on the phone this evening and I look forward to interviewing him soon.

Thanks for the interest and help, everyone!

Jay Gallentine
Bob Shaw
Jay:

Remember to post a link when the article is published - as you noticed, there's a certain amount of interest hereabouts in the subject!

Bob Shaw
PhilCo126
Bob,
Jay is in fact preparing a ( long-awaited ) book on Unmanned spaceflight !!!

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.