Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You know you're a UMSF fan when...
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
Pages: 1, 2
David
You know you're a UMSF fan when:
You have to get your UMSF fix every morning before leaving for work.

But you know you're a hardcore UMSF fan when:
Your co-workers have started commenting on the number of bathroom breaks you take so you can log into UMSF from your laptop.

You've got the Cassini encounter schedules entered in your PDA a year in advance.

You take vacation time off to coincide with Cassini encounters.

Your walls are covered with posters showing the view from the top of Husband Hill.

You've replaced all the windows in your home with backlit screens showing the view from the top of Husband Hill.

You know the area between Endurance and Victoria better than you know the streets within half a mile of your own home.

You turned your entire backyard into a to-scale model of the area between Endurance and Victoria.

You go "squee!" when Steve Squyres appears on NASA-TV.

You recently went shopping for a gilded frame for the picture on your Steve Squyres altar at home.

You name your pets "Spirit" and "Opportunity".

You name your children "Spirit" and "Opportunity".

Your kids want to be rover drivers when they grow up.

You want to be a rover driver when you grow up.

You're more interested in possible methane showers on Titan than whether it's going to rain tomorrow.

You carry an umbrella especially designed to repel methane showers.

You know exactly how old you're going to be when New Horizons reaches Pluto.

You checked the annuity tables to find out what your risk is of dying before New Horizons reaches Pluto.

You decorate your Christmas tree with models of planets, moons, and interplanetary spacecraft.

You celebrate launch and flyby anniversaries instead of Christmas.

You wrote a letter to Congress when DAWN was cancelled.

You made a bargain with the space gods that they should take your life instead of DAWN's.

You remember exactly where you were when the first plume was observed on Enceladus.

You remember exactly where you were on Sol 465.

You think there ought to be a mission dedicated to exploring Uranus.

You think there ought to be a mission dedicated to exploring Uranus, and THAT'S NOT A JOKE!
djellison
That...is GENIUS...seriously - I scheduled my last major holiday at a period when I knew there wouldn't be too much MER activity smile.gif

Doug
volcanopele
QUOTE (David @ Jun 20 2006, 08:40 AM) *
You've got the Cassini encounter schedules entered in your PDA a year in advance.

You take vacation time off to coincide with Cassini encounters.

To the first, only a year? I spent a couple of hours inputting Emily's entire encounter table onto mine.
As to the second part, would mine be instead that I work for 24 hours straight during Cassini Encounters (okay, not anymore)
Richard Trigaux
Today the weather is very hot, it would be fine if I had an UMSF fan to blow some cool air. Maybe I should go shopping in the UMSF goodies page.

Er, what's wrong? blink.gif
Phil Stooke
Brilliant!

Phil
Bjorn Jonsson
I wonder into which category the following (some of which I am a bit familiar with biggrin.gif) falls:

(1) You remember every targeted and nontargeted Galileo flyby of the Galileans (e.g. the G8 Ganymede images and the Callisto images during that same orbit, the G28 Ganymede images, the very high resolution E12 Europa images and the Ganymede Gilgamesh images from the same orbit etc.). You also remember the approximate dates of these flybys...

(2) You had to get yourself a bigger computer and extra hard disks to be able to process and store PDS images from various spacecraft.

(3) You don't know how many PDS images you have on your computer but saying that you have tens of thousands is an understatement.

(4) You left your computer running for 200+ hours to do a big animation of the Cassini SOI...
Richard Trigaux
Perhaps not a fan of UMSF, because I was already sick from long ago:

-when I look at the sunset, I don't see the sun lowering behind the horizon, but the earh rotating and hiding the sun

-looking at the moon (by day) while holding an orange in my hand, and see the same crescent on the moon and the orange.

-when looking at the sunset, I sit down and them get up to follow the last contact for about half a second

-Once when taking a rendez-vous with a social worker, I told her that I cannot accept the date she proposed because of the venus transit. What's the heck, serious things first.

-looking space odissey 2001 in a loop, and change only to see space odissey 2010. And I am still not happy, I'm waiting for 2068 and 3001 in movie.

-others
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Richard Trigaux @ Jun 20 2006, 08:52 AM) *
Perhaps not a fan of UMSF, because I was already sick from long ago:

Me too. I was forced to spend the July 4th holiday in 1997 at my mother-in-law's house for a family barbecue. I had cable television service installed ahead of time so that I could watch Pathfinder coverage.
Nix
Guilty of;

- checking UMSF before going to work
- 'decorating' half of the living room with Mars pans, after having painted the walls in caramel and brown tints
- having spend about $ 800 on hard disks to cope with raws and pds downloads and memory to run big pans
- about to invest another $ 2000 for a second 'off-the-net' computer and a 21" high-quality lcd
- went to Cambridge to meet up with Doug, Helen and of course Steven, while I was actually very tired at the time (little -adorable- growing kids..). Though I'm sure Steven was the one who was really exhausted..

- sleeping insane hours to get the most out of preparing a panorama-DVD and learning colorimetry
- having a daughter calling every brownish item resembling Mars
- neglecting friends and family to follow the rovers' every step
- dreaming of a one way trip to Mars when my kids have grown up -spending some time walking through the big valley and when my supplies are thru, find a nice spot and take off the helmet.. (yes, I am serious, no; I'm probably not that sane -but I don't care smile.gif )

Nico
climber
Only trouble for me is that all of this started by december 1968 during Apollo 8 flight and it's not gona give up for quite a while...
paxdan
you start buying models again after a 20 year hiatus...
Click to view attachment
um3k
QUOTE (Richard Trigaux @ Jun 20 2006, 12:52 PM) *
-when I look at the sunset, I don't see the sun lowering behind the horizon, but the earh rotating and hiding the sun

"But the fool on the hill sees the sun going down, and the eyes in his head see the world spinning round..."
Bob Shaw
Guilty as charged, M'Lud, and I'd like another twelve similar 'enthusiasms' taken into account.

Bob Shaw
nprev
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jun 20 2006, 10:32 AM) *
Me too. I was forced to spend the July 4th holiday in 1997 at my mother-in-law's house for a family barbecue. I had cable television service installed ahead of time so that I could watch Pathfinder coverage.

I was actually on the third day of my honeymoon then, and my wife was quite upset that I insisted on watching CNN coverage of Pathfinder at the hotel and deferred, uh, more traditional activities... rolleyes.gif

Hard-core? You bet, since Mariner 9! (Hmm...is there another "you know you're a..." there if you remember missions more than 30 years old?) I should get an UMSF tattoo... tongue.gif
Richard Trigaux
QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 21 2006, 12:33 AM) *
I was actually on the third day of my honeymoon then, and my wife was quite upset that I insisted on watching CNN coverage of Pathfinder at the hotel and deferred, uh, more traditional activities... rolleyes.gif

This is a very good motive, which had very much pleased your woman, of course.

QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 21 2006, 12:33 AM) *
Hard-core? You bet, since Mariner 9! (Hmm...is there another "you know you're a..." there if you remember missions more than 30 years old?) I should get an UMSF tattoo... tongue.gif

The stage further hardcore: UMSF fundamentalist WARIOR

but I'm afraid it becomes illegal, please continue this discution privately ph34r.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (Nix @ Jun 20 2006, 07:11 PM) *
Guilty of;

- dreaming of a one way trip to Mars when my kids have grown up -spending some time walking through the big valley and when my supplies are thru, find a nice spot and take off the helmet.. (yes, I am serious, no; I'm probably not that sane -but I don't care smile.gif )

I know what you mean... smile.gif
Borek
You know you're a UMSF fan when you try to access unnmannedspaceflight.com every morning even if you know that it won't work - just in case something has changed.

Sorry, guys, I am on of those poor souls whose home IP address is blocked from the UMSF site's host.

Borek
djellison
THEN SEND ME A TRACERT AND I'LL FWD IT TO THE HOSTING GUYS

If you can't help me..I can't help you.
ilbasso
You know you're hardcore if...
... you have bitterly broken off a longstanding friendship because of the near rim/far rim debate
climber
[quote name='djellison' date='Jun 21 2006, 12:23 PM' post='59269']
THEN SEND ME A TRACERT AND I'LL FWD IT TO THE HOSTING GUYS
If you can't help me..I can't help you.

And it works beautifully...no more troubles for quite a while..
climber
Fan when you send your name on a spacecraft's chip
Hardcore when you want your picture on BBQ party

Not talking about you Boss, I promess, not talking about you biggrin.gif
mars loon
QUOTE (climber @ Jun 21 2006, 12:52 PM) *
Fan when you send your name on a spacecraft's chip
Hardcore when you want your picture on BBQ party

This qualifies me as hardcore alright

along with some others

now I just need to find the right place to hang that BBQ pic

when I printed it out at work, there were some strange stares.

Yeah David, this thread is brilliant

hardcore: memorize Davids ode and repeat at a UMSF Forum contest

and what shall be the prize?
PhilCo126
Quote:
You turned your entire backyard into a to-scale model of the area between Endurance and Victoria.
End quote.

O.K. who has (really) done this ohmy.gif ?
climber
QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Jun 22 2006, 12:52 PM) *
Quote:
End quote.

O.K. who has (really) done this ohmy.gif ?

JPL biggrin.gif
DFinfrock
QUOTE (Nix @ Jun 20 2006, 06:11 PM) *
Guilty of;

Nico

I have had this same fantasy Nico. What a way to go out. I also thought it would make a great ending for a movie.

David
climber
You know you're a UMSF fan when....
You hope Oppy & Spirit will try to use both MRO and Cassini as relay during superior conjunction blink.gif
Stu
QUOTE (DFinfrock @ Jul 1 2006, 02:57 AM) *
I also thought it would make a great ending for a movie.

Well, it would, but it was wasted in a RUBBISH movie - "Red Planet", remember? Where Val Kilmer and his equally unconvincing astronaut buddies take off their helmets, ready to die, only to find that - gasp! surprise! - they can breathe the air because martian beasties have breathed out oxygen and given Mars a breathable atmosphere...!

(Actually, confession time... I quite like parts of "Red Planet", even though it's as scientifically accurate as an episode of Button Moon. Cool robot, and Carrie Ann Moss as a kick-ass female spaceship captain... I could live with that! wink.gif )
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (climber @ Oct 19 2006, 10:32 AM) *
You know you're a UMSF fan when....
You hope Oppy & Spirit will try to use both MRO and Cassini as relay during superior conjunction blink.gif

You guys fidgeting through solar conjunction really need another hobby besides UMSF. cool.gif
tuvas
UMSF fan when you ditch class to see the first HiRISE science images come in.
Hard Core when it gets written in the local paper, and your teacher comments about it at the begining of class.

Well, that was me.
http://www.azstarnet.com/dailystar/news/149017 for the article.

"I'm going to be missing class," Pearson said as he decided to stick with the imaging group effort.
Patteroast
I'll let others decide where this ranks up, but I convinced my high school calculus teacher to let me watch NASA TV on the computer when Huygens landed during lecture. Everyone else in the class doing math, me in the corner with the computer's volume low pretending to be paying attention. wink.gif
tuvas
All I can say about this topic is, I'm glad I'm not the only one;-)
PhilCo126
Weird hé ... isn't it ?
wink.gif
Phil Stooke
Pateroast: "I convinced my high school calculus teacher to let me watch NASA TV on the computer when Huygens landed during lecture. "

Well.... I did a similar thing a long time before that, asking my school principal if I could take time off school to watch the Apollo 12 EVAs. Apollo 11 happened during the summer. As it turned out the TV camera failed early in the EVA (pointed at the sun). But then the principal - or headmaster as he was known there - knew I was interested, so when he heard that Apollo 13 had 'had a problem' he was the first to tell me.

Phil Stooke
tuvas
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 20 2006, 12:58 PM) *
Pateroast: "I convinced my high school calculus teacher to let me watch NASA TV on the computer when Huygens landed during lecture. "

Well.... I did a similar thing a long time before that, asking my school principal if I could take time off school to watch the Apollo 12 EVAs. Apollo 11 happened during the summer. As it turned out the TV camera failed early in the EVA (pointed at the sun). But then the principal - or headmaster as he was known there - knew I was interested, so when he heard that Apollo 13 had 'had a problem' he was the first to tell me.

Phil Stooke

I can't see how a school wouldn't be watching such a momenteous moment in history... I mean, why teach history when you can live it, if only for a few minutes...
Stu
Ah, happy memories resurfacing.... by the time Apollo 14 came around I was at junior school, and we were all made (well, obviously I wasn't made, I wanted to!) to sit in the school hall and watch the TV coverage on The Big TV, which was a monster of a thing, wheeled into the room in sloooow motion, like it was one of the standing stones of Stonehenge, brought it on an enormous stand and planted at the front of the room like some big statue for us all to worship... eeeh, those were the days...

They don't do that in schools now, of course, at least not the schools I visit when I do my Outreach work. Shuttle missions aren't mentioned, the Mars rovers neither. When I visit schools I often want to bang some of the teachers' heads together within 10 mins of walking through the door, just because they don't have the sense of importance these things deserve. Not all teachers, I hasten to add, some are very much on the ball, but some teachers just don't care, and I've lost count of the number of times I've been told by kids that they didn't know people had walked on the Moon, or that astronauts had lost their lives in shuttle explosions, or that two brave little rovers are trundling around Mars right now, beaming back pictures for us all to see. Wrong, just wrong, damnit.

Sorry, rant over.
dvandorn
I was in grade school during the Mercury missions, and we all gathered in the auditorium and watched John Glenn's launch in February of 1962. Because the launch was delayed several times, we were gathered several times, and the last time, when the launch actually occurred, we all got there just before he went off.

The launch of Apollo 7 was 'cast through my junior high school's PA system, as well... they thought more highly of the space program in the schools back then.

-the other Doug
nprev
The only time my school system bothered to acknowledge spaceflight was for the first launch of Columbia (I was a senior in high school then). We got to watch it on a 19" TV.

On Feb 26, 1979, a total solar eclipse occurred across the NW portion of North America. I was fortunate enough to have a teacher that was as interested in space as I was, and she & I traveled to central Montana to witness totality. By contrast, my classmates back in Butte, MT on that day were instructed not to look out of the windows during the event while all the blinds were drawn in an apparent attempt by the school district to avoid lawsuits for blindness...I still wonder why they didn't go all the way and sacrifice a goat or something.. rolleyes.gif
mchan
I was out of school by the time of the Voyager 2 Neptune flyby, but I took two days vacation to attend the TPS Planetfest event in Pasadena. From the number of people watching a TV monitor at 4am, I'd say there are a lot of hardcore UMSF fans.
dvandorn
I still have a 17-year-old videotape of PBS's presentation of "Neptune All Night," when they covered the Voyager 2 Neptune encounter. With a member of Firesign Theater no less, doing his character of George LeRoy Tirebiter...

biggrin.gif

-the other Doug
climber
QUOTE (mchan @ Oct 21 2006, 04:49 AM) *
I was out of school by the time of the Voyager 2 Neptune flyby, but I took two days vacation to attend the TPS Planetfest event in Pasadena. From the number of people watching a TV monitor at 4am, I'd say there are a lot of hardcore UMSF fans.

I came from France to be at Planestfest 89 and I didn't know YOU were there blink.gif
That was something, wasn't it! And that's the reason I was back there for Spirit landing. That make me laught biggrin.gif when I remember they were saying she will last 90 sols. I still can't believe she'll be 1000 next week
hendric
OK, here's a challenge: Modify a Spirit image, with appropriate geriatric gear attached: cane, glasses, etc. smile.gif
Phil Stooke
Duh...

Phil

Click to view attachment
climber
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 23 2006, 08:45 PM) *
Duh...
Phil

Whoua! Very unlucky Spirit...the cleaning event went by very close biggrin.gif
nprev
Heh, heh, heh...well, she's still pretty hot in my book for an old lady! laugh.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 23 2006, 10:45 AM) *
Duh...

Phil

You forgot something Phil.
nprev
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif ...Dan, why'd you have to make it look so full? laugh.gif
Phil Stooke
That was very, very naughty of you, EGD...

Phil
lyford
As long as no one makes any Mars sample return comments....

Oops. tongue.gif
nprev
Well, at least there'd be no question of detecting organics... rolleyes.gif
icez
New Horizons was suposed to launch on my birthday but it was delayed for 2 days. I almost cried sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.