Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mars Exploration Timeline
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future
aldo12xu
After seeing some of the great historical images that were posted in the Spacecraft Images thread, I was inspired to put together a webpage compiling all the past, present and future Mars exploration missions. Thanks to Don Mitchell and the various links he recommended, I was able to find photos of almost every spacecraft lauched to Mars. I've put links for each mission to the NSSDC database and the most recent press releases for future missions.

I hope everyone finds it a useful collection. If there are any errors, ommissions or inconsistencies, let me know.

Cheers,
Aldo.
helvick
Aldo,

Nice collection. I'm not sure what criteria you want to use for future<potential future missions but I think that the Mars Science and Telecommunications Orbiter should be (tentatively) inked in for 2011/2013.
aldo12xu
Thanks, Helvick, I've added it to the list. I didn't know about that one!
aldo12xu
I've just added a Mars lander location map to the Exploration Timeline page. I've also included the potential Phoenix landing site and the four most favoured MSL landing site candidates. It's kinda nice to have them all on one map.
DonPMitchell
Very well done website!
Stephen
QUOTE (aldo12xu @ Jun 10 2006, 03:44 PM) *
After seeing some of the great historical images that were posted in the Spacecraft Images thread, I was inspired to put together a webpage compiling all the past, present and future Mars exploration missions. Thanks to Don Mitchell and the various links he recommended, I was able to find photos of almost every spacecraft lauched to Mars. I've put links for each mission to the NSSDC database and the most recent press releases for future missions.

I hope everyone finds it a useful collection. If there are any errors, ommissions or inconsistencies, let me know.

Very well done as usual, Aldo. Just one question: for the Phoenix lander you have "Target site near 70N/225W" but the Phoenix website still has "to be determined" for the landing site and the gossip on the Phoenix threads on UMSF still seem to suggest a choice of sites is still being looked at.

Have the Phoenix team made a decision yet, at least with that general locale of "near 70N/225W"?

======
Stephen
Phil Stooke
Check out this discussion:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...=45&#entry58369

The decision has not yet been made.

Phil
aldo12xu
I guess I should've said "Potential target site at 70N/225W". I was actually surprised that the Phoenix site selection hasn't been finalized by now. But then again, launch is still more than a year away.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.