Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Polar caps
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Mars
Adam
So, Phoenix is going to land in the north polar area but outside the polar cap itself? Would it be possible to land on the pole, or is it too dangerous? Would it be worth it? What would we see on the surface?
ustrax
QUOTE (Adam @ Jun 7 2006, 04:28 PM) *
So, Phoenix is going to land in the north polar area but outside the polar cap itself? Would it be possible to land on the pole, or is it too dangerous? Would it be worth it? What would we see on the surface?

The north pole would be, to say the least, a tricky place for a safe landing...:

http://ltpwww.gsfc.nasa.gov/tharsis/agu_f98.html

Edited: Maybe this topic should be moved to here: http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showforum=14
RNeuhaus
Not yet has confirmed definitely the selected landing place for Phonix. But up to now, the intent is to land inside the Mar's artic circle: at 120 degree W and 70 degree North which is insice the polar region. However, the landing zone looks it is not on a polar cap but a zone with water drifts and mud land mixed of snow.

I think that Phonix won't land on Polar cap since its scientific instruments are designed to uncover clues to the geologic history and biological potential of the martian arctic. It will look for land and water and not only snow. So its overall Mars science strategy is "Follow the Water" and will be instrumental in achieving the four science goals of NASA's long-term Mars Exploration Program

* Determine whether Life ever arose on Mars
* Characterize the Climate of Mars
* Characterize the Geology of Mars
* Prepare for Human Exploration

Rodolfo
Adam
Uhm, well, I didn't mean that phoenix should land there, just wondering why no one wants to send a mission there. Perhaps it's because of the risk to contaminate the ice?
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (Adam @ Jun 7 2006, 12:50 PM) *
Uhm, well, I didn't mean that phoenix should land there, just wondering why no one wants to send a mission there. Perhaps it's because of the risk to contaminate the ice?

I don't think it so. However they are also concerned of the contamination but it is not as the reason for selecting the landing site. I remember that at the beginning of the project, they were planning to send Phonix not to land on polar cap but around 70-80 degree north latitud. I suppose they are not interesed to land on pure ice but more on soft ice (mixed with mud and water) in which the excaver would be easier to dig the ice.

Rodolfo
BruceMoomaw
I've got LOTS on this whole subject, which I'll reveal as soon as I come out of hibernation later tonight.
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Jun 7 2006, 08:31 PM) *
I've got LOTS on this whole subject, which I'll reveal as soon as I come out of hibernation later tonight.

I am still looking forward in hearing from your promise! I am very interested in knowing why they selected to land around latitud north 70.

Rodolfo
BruceMoomaw
I'm cranking up for the effort now. (The biggest problem in doing this sort of thing is sifting through all my recorded Web documents, which at this point number about 9000 -- all of them labeled by journal, author, and VERY general subject matter, which means I actually have to glance at a lot of them to see if they're relevant. I'll be looking up a couple of other promised subjects at the same time.)
ustrax
On the current proposed landing site:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...indpost&p=57527
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Jun 9 2006, 12:49 AM) *
I'm cranking up for the effort now. (The biggest problem in doing this sort of thing is sifting through all my recorded Web documents, which at this point number about 9000 -- all of them labeled by journal, author, and VERY general subject matter, which means I actually have to glance at a lot of them to see if they're relevant. I'll be looking up a couple of other promised subjects at the same time.)

Ooppsss. Take it easy. ohmy.gif I appreciate much your comments! biggrin.gif Sure, after a good coffee drink and some wading mind you will be able to find the wanted topic.

QUOTE (ustrax @ Jun 9 2006, 04:29 AM) *

Thanks cool.gif

Rodolfo
ustrax
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jun 9 2006, 02:14 PM) *
Thanks cool.gif

You're welcome Rodolfo (did you know that your country is the one in the world that I, since I can remember me, want to visit?... smile.gif )

If this eventually becomes the choice, and it will not take long for a decision, then we can start thinking about what will we see around there...
I've reduced the area of possible landing site in my previous image to this:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/ustr...chaiaRupes2.jpg

I believe the option will be for safer ground, southern from this area there are cliffs, northern there is large areas of ice...So, in the middle may be the virtue... wink.gif
Does anyone have the hability of finding images with higher resolution from this area?
The coordinates indicated are:
65 and 72 deg N and 120 and 140 deg E
climber
[quote name='ustrax' date='Jun 9 2006, 03:55 PM' post='57748']
I've reduced the area of possible landing site in my previous image to this

First time I see a rectangular elipse ! biggrin.gif
Benefit will be : we can target Corner Crater wink.gif
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (ustrax @ Jun 9 2006, 08:55 AM) *
You're welcome Rodolfo (did you know that your country is the one in the world that I, since I can remember me, want to visit?... smile.gif )

Let me know when you come to Peru. I will be your a very good host!

Rodolfo
ustrax
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jun 9 2006, 04:43 PM) *
Let me know when you come to Peru. I will be your a very good host!

Rodolfo

I've got this planned route map for a long long time...:
Lima > Pisco > Ica > Nazca > Arequipa > Puno (and Titicaca) > Cuzco > Machu Picchu (following the Inca Trail) > Huancayo > Lima

Maybe next year...
smile.gif
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (ustrax @ Jun 9 2006, 10:58 AM) *
I've got this planned route map for a long long time...:
Lima > Pisco > Ica > Nazca > Arequipa > Puno (and Titicaca) > Cuzco > Machu Picchu (following the Inca Trail) > Huancayo > Lima

Maybe next year...
smile.gif

Very good route. I would suggest a slight variations of route. I will send you a note.
Rodolfo

Rodolfo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.