Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mineral characteristics, indeed!
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Wyl2006
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Left: L456 middle: R246 right: R345

Interestingly, I was going to have a look on the PDS image catalogue these days. The Opportunity-pictures from Sol 616 are available now.

Using an similar technique as Mr. Harald Keppler (which was yelled down and the target of some childish jokes) some weeks ago, I got similar results: The R246- and R345-composites show distinctiv infrared colors which should due to a difference in chemical composition.

Another possibility would require a differential polarizing effect in optics and minerals, but I do not think so. I think, any effect due to time difference between the photos or glance refelction can be excluded. It is strange to see thes cobbles come alon in some changing appearance.

To make these pictures, the PDS-imagery was combined in photoshop as channels, then the saturation of the photo was increased by 80 percent and then auto levels to have more contrast in the picture. Nevertheless, the subtle color shading can be seen after the first step also without auto-levelling.

Wyl2006
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Wyl2006 @ Jun 1 2006, 10:12 AM) *
Using an similar technique as Mr. Harald Keppler (which was yelled down and the target of some childish jokes) some weeks ago, I got similar results:

I don't have an opinion here, however this appears to be a continuation of THIS discussion.
djellison
Now we have proper data - we can see that there are differences - one could do things such as plotting graphs of brightness values all the way through the 12 full filters and see where the peaks and troughs are on specific wavelengths and then co-register those with potential minerals as seen in the TES library....proper science biggrin.gif

There's nothing particularly odd about it all though - why shouldn't various different minerals appear in cobbles / gravels etc?

I'd have a go myself, but I'm off to York, Sunderland, Carlisle, Kendal, Coniston, Liverpool and Manchester starting tomorrow biggrin.gif

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.