Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PDS released RADAR swaths
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Titan
Pages: 1, 2
Decepticon
Can someone point me in the right direction to any full Radar Swath releases.

For some unknown reason I can't find mine on my PC. sad.gif

Thanks.
volcanopele
QUOTE (Decepticon @ May 13 2006, 10:12 AM) *
Can someone point me in the right direction to any full Radar Swath releases.

For some unknown reason I can't find mine on my PC. sad.gif
Thanks.

only the Ta and T3 SAR swaths have been publically released, through the PDS. If someone asks nicely, I might convert what is in the PDS to a more easily readable JPEG format. The other swaths have not been publically released in full, except for those small size versions posted in the photojournal a few weeks ago. A large chunk (~50%) of the T8 swath was released on the Photojournal yesterday, though.
Decepticon
biggrin.gif Pretty Please!
BruceMoomaw
With sugar on it. (Fructose, since that's healthier.)
Decepticon
With Ustrax on it!:P
peter59
I have Ta and T3 Swath, but I can't publish it here, because I'm
not sure whether it is legal or illegal. So I present only thumbnails.

You can download Radar Swath from PDS archive. PDS
You must download it on your computer, unzip it and use NasaView
program.

Warning:
These files are very large ( 335MB in orginal size 26368 X 4096).

I suggest download file BIBQF48N071_D035_T00A_V01.ZIP
(only 0,3MB in size 3296 X 512)
angel1801
QUOTE (peter59 @ May 15 2006, 04:06 AM) *
I have Ta and T3 Swath, but I can't publish it here, because I'm
not sure whether it is legal or illegal. So I present only thumbnails.

You can download Radar Swath from PDS archive. PDS
You must download it on your computer, unzip it and use NasaView
program.

Warning:
These files are very large ( 335MB in orginal size 26368 X 4096).

I suggest download file BIBQF48N071_D035_T00A_V01.ZIP
(only 0,3MB in size 3296 X 512)

I'm sure that any downloading of any space imagary based products are legal. NASA even states that almost (99.9%) all images are "Copyright Free" for personal and scientific use.
tedstryk
QUOTE (angel1801 @ May 14 2006, 06:58 PM) *
I'm sure that any downloading of any space imagary based products are legal. NASA even states that almost (99.9%) all images are "Copyright Free" for personal and scientific use.

If you downloaded it from the PDS, it is definitely legal. If it was given to you by the scientists, I would say it is still legal but immoral, as it would be a betrayal of trust.
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (tedstryk @ May 14 2006, 09:51 PM) *
If you downloaded it from the PDS, it is definitely legal. If it was given to you by the scientists, I would say it is still legal but immoral, as it would be a betrayal of trust.

That's the nail struck squarely upon the head!

Bob Shaw
BruceMoomaw
TA Swath, at least, is definitely publicly available on one of the LPSC abstracts, and T3 Swath MAY be publicly available. I'll *very heavy sigh* go through my records to try to find them...
BruceMoomaw
Well -- although I imagine this is where Jason got his thumbnails -- you can find TA on both http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2005/pdf/2294.pdf and http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/object/in...fobjectid=37161 , and T3 on http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2006/pdf/1497.pdf , all in highly enlargable form. As for the others, there's a lot available on the Nov. 2005 CHARM presentation ( http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/prod...CHARM_RADAR.pdf ), with extensive notes.
volcanopele
LPSC abstracts aside, the entirety of the Ta and T3 swaths are freely and publically available, and can be posted in JPEG format on this site. If peter59 doesn't do so before me, I will post jpeg version of swaths in the PDS tomorrow, at either 128 or 256 pixels/deg. It is the other swaths (T7, T8, and T13) where you would have at the very least ethical issues that I am not sure Doug wants to deal with.

There are some neat stuff there, though the Ta swath is probably my least favorite of the five returned thus far. Outside of the cutouts posted in the Photojournal (like of the Sisi's cat "lake", Ganesa Macula, and near flows and what not), the Ta swath is pretty bland. The T3 swath is much more interesting with two impact craters, Omacatl Macula, channels, mountains (though far fewer than in T13 and T8), and dunes.
alan
T3SAR downsized from 17000 x 2200 to fit under 1MB.
volcanopele
Moved discussion of Ta and T3 radar swaths, and radar swath availablity to its own thread.

JPEG versions of the PDS released Ta and T3 radar swaths are now up:

http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~perry/RADAR/
Decepticon
Excellent! smile.gif
edstrick
The first two titan radar passes were posted in quite high resolution on

http://www.stanford.edu/group/radar/

and the links are still there, but sometime in the last year, you get "Object Not Found" when clicking the link.
Thorsten
QUOTE (volcanopele @ May 15 2006, 09:04 PM) *
JPEG versions of the PDS released Ta and T3 radar swaths are now up

Great stuff, thanks a lot!

By the way, is Omacatl Macula this strange dark splotch between the "Dark Terrain" (PIA07367) and the northern "coastline" of Fensal?
volcanopele
QUOTE (Thorsten @ May 16 2006, 09:40 AM) *
By the way, is Omacatl Macula this strange dark splotch between the "Dark Terrain" (PIA07367) and the northern "coastline" of Fensal?

that is fact Omacatl. I really need to go back to that guy...
elakdawalla
By the way, I've posted a page with the full swaths (thanks, Jason, for retrieving those from the PDS for us all) -- as well as my attempts to reconstruct the patches of the swaths that haven't been fully released yet -- here. I also got a list of future SAR passes from a friend and posted it at the bottom of the page. I hadn't seen that list anywhere on the Web before so I thought it might be useful. Here it is, for the curious:

Future flybys that are currently planned to include SAR imaging:
T16 (July 22, 2006)
T17 (September 7, 2006) - ride-along (with INMS), possibly at less than optimal attitude
T18 (September 23, 2006) - ride-along (with INMS), possibly at less than optimal attitude
T19 (October 9, 2006)
T21 (December 12, 2006)- ride-along (with INMS), possibly at less than optimal attitude
T23 (January 13, 2007)
T25 (February 22, 2007)
T28 (April 10, 2007)
T29 (April 26, 2007)
T30 (May 12, 2007)
T39 (December 20, 2007)
T41 (February 22, 2008)
T43 (May 12, 2008)
T44 (May 28, 2008) - maybe; the planners are carrying two options, one of them SAR.

A little story about the Ta and T3 swaths -- I downloaded them from that Stanford website when Jason posted about their availability in his blog, and re-posted them on the Society's old website. They were still available on the old pages when we switched to our new site design last October, but I hadn't yet ported them over to the new site. Then, in December, I got an email from a RADAR team member, asking me how I'd come by them, because a paper had appeared by some in press by some non-Cassini scientists analyzing some of the data, which was not yet released to the PDS. (Jason talked about that here.) It seems that in the interim, the RADAR team had shut down the "leak" from Stanford (from a team member who apparently didn't understand the data release process), but hadn't known that I'd reposted them...oops. I hadn't meant to contribute to that bit of uncool scientific behavior. Fortunately the RADAR team didn't cast any blame on me for the incident; they were quite nice about it, actually. At the RADAR team's request I removed the images from the old website last December -- but since they appeared in the PDS in January it was safe for me to put them back up.

--Emily
Decepticon
Emily You ROCK! biggrin.gif
Thorsten
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ May 23 2006, 03:25 AM) *
By the way, I've posted a page with the full swaths (thanks, Jason, for retrieving those from the PDS for us all) -- as well as my attempts to reconstruct the patches of the swaths that haven't been fully released yet

Wow! Thanks a lot, Emily!

BTW, I’m not sure if this is helpful for you, but in one of the Titan vision studies from the October 6–7, 2005 OPAG Meeting (http://www.lpi.usra.edu/opag/oct_05_meeting/jpl_titan.pdf) there are two beautiful parts from – what I believe is – the T7 (Sept. 7, 2005) SAR radar swath. The image on Page 6 of the vision study is northwest (left) of PIA03564 (Canyonlands of Titan) and shows some mountainous/hilly region probably in Central Tsegihi. The region shown on Page 8 is between PIA03565 (Titan's Rain Drains to the Plains) and PIA03563 (Shoreline on Titan?). You can see the rivers of PIA03565 flowing into that strange RADAR bright stuff.
However I don’t know if it is illegal or immoral to post these parts of the T7 swath because they are actually not yet publically released. Hope, I’m not involved in any kind of scientific misconduct right now!
elakdawalla
I don't think you have to worry, Thorsten; you can see that much of the swath from the various context images that the RADAR team has started releasing, for example:
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA03571

Those context images were pretty useful in figuring out approximately where the press-released bits fall on each swath. I'm glad the RADAR team has started doing that, they're very helpful.

--Emily
volcanopele
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ May 22 2006, 06:25 PM) *
By the way, I've posted a page with the full swaths (thanks, Jason, for retrieving those from the PDS for us all) -- as well as my attempts to reconstruct the patches of the swaths that haven't been fully released yet -- here. I also got a list of future SAR passes from a friend and posted it at the bottom of the page. I hadn't seen that list anywhere on the Web before so I thought it might be useful. Here it is, for the curious:

Your placement of the T13 releases is a little off. Check out my post from last week or so on the placement of the released crops in the swath:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...indpost&p=53445
elakdawalla
Oops. Fixed. Thanks. --Emily
BruceMoomaw
Believe me, Thorsten, if those swaths were shown in an OPAG presentation, they are public property and nobody will jump you for trying to fit them into context. (The managers of the COMPLEX meeting that I attended cheerfully mailed me, without a peep, hard copies of all the Powerpoint presentations shown -- including a huge one by Elizabeth Turtle packed with SAR views from the T8 swath that were publicly shown for the very first time at that meeting. Maybe it's time I looked at those again.)

One thing I'm starting to notice in recent scientific presentations is that bloggers are starting to get explicit credit from the scientists for their work in putting useful image mosaics together -- especially in the case of the Huygens images.
The Messenger
This is probably already on the board somewhere, but I don't see it:

http://planetary.org/blog/
The official publication on the second Titan RADAR swath is out
QUOTE (Emily)
Also somewhat mysterious is the fact that the paper doesn't mention the altimetric data at all. The RADAR instrument gathers altimetric data on each end of nearly every SAR swath. The fact that it's not published here likely means that something is making it hard for them to make sense of the data. I am very curious about that story!
Tom Tamlyn
The permalink to Emily's post on the second Titan RADAR swath is here.
TTT
volcanopele
I have added the T7 swath to my RADAR swath page:

Unlike Alan, I used the BIFQI version of the file. From the looks of it, the pixel values range from 0.05 to 1.4 or so, so I am guessing in this product, the pixel values have been converted to dielectric constant or some RADAR equivalent to I/F, like I do with ISS images while the BIBQI version uses the actual brightness values. the "F" version may also be corrected for incidence angle (or emission angle or what ever...). I would ask our resident RADAR team member, but I'm not sure he is in town.

I should also point out that the file has been rotated 90 degrees CCW from what is in the PDS. Also, if anyone wants lat-lon gridded versions at 128 pixels/deg., let me know.

EDIT: If I looked in the label file, I would find my answer... "The data values in this file are Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) normalized backscatter cross-section values. The values are physical scale (not in dB) and have been corrected for incidence-angle effects. The raw backscatter values have been multiplied by the function f(I), where I is the incidence angle and f(I) = 1.4142*sin(I)."
volcanopele
I will be posting the T8 swath, released on the PDS earlier this week, in a few hours. This swath is quite large (not to mention there is a seperate, short segment from that pass) so it will take a little bit.
Decepticon
ohmy.gif

Soon?! unsure.gif
peter59
I have, I have, I have !!!

T8 swath
Click to view attachment
volcanopele
Sorry, network was really slow yesterday. Too many people trying to download that Victoria crater image. I'll try to have the whole thing up this weekend.
Decepticon
I tried at updating the Cassini RADAR coverage map. It's not 100% correct. Does look better with the area filled in.

Flyby T13 (Apr 30, 2006) Was added. biggrin.gif
JRehling
QUOTE (Decepticon @ Nov 6 2006, 11:38 AM) *
I tried at updating the Cassini RADAR coverage map. It's not 100% correct. Does look better with the area filled in.

Cool. That's 4.5 swaths done. The total number of swaths by the end of the extended mission may be as high as 30 or so. At the end, we'll have a piecemeal map of strips and stripes that should be pretty representative of the globe, but annoyingly "gap"py.
Decepticon
Are there 8 or 7 swaths still not added?

I'm not sure if one of the swath was lost?
volcanopele
I've updated the Titan RADAR SAR swath page to include all the RADAR swaths released on the PDS (now through T25). I also included the ISS-RADAR map showing the coverage up to T25:

peter59
QUOTE (volcanopele @ Jan 9 2008, 11:52 PM) *
I've updated the Titan RADAR SAR swath page :

T28 (April 10, 2007) - Northern Polar Region (Northern Lakes district, Northern Seas, Fensal, Aztlan, Western Quivira)
Arrives in the PDS April 2008
T30 (May 12, 2007) - Large Northern Sea and Points East
Arrives in the PDS April 2008
T36 (October 2, 2007) - Mid-Southern Latitudes
Arrives in the PDS October 2008
T39 (December 20, 2007) - South Polar Region, Western Mezzoramia
Arrives in the PDS October 2008

What's with T29 ??
volcanopele
I guess I forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me.
JRehling
Great stuff. I know there's an imperfect correlation between IR and radar (and even radar from two different angles, or IR with different phase angles), but the cartographer in me wants to fuse all of this info into a one-wavelength-fits-all map with as broad of coverage as possible. Slap a layer of low-res color based on VIMS on top, and call it a global map. It's getting pretty complete now, but I guess we may as well wait for Cassini to finish its work before doing the backbreaking cartography. But I've still got my 6-inch globe of Earth waiting for a Titan skin to get gored and pasted on.
Juramike
QUOTE (JRehling @ Jan 10 2008, 02:50 PM) *
I know there's an imperfect correlation between IR and radar (and even radar from two different angles, or IR with different phase angles), but the cartographer in me wants to fuse all of this info into a one-wavelength-fits-all map with as broad of coverage as possible.

It looks like IR and RADAR are not very correlated at all. Even at it's simplest, this becomes a multi-dimensional problem. Titan is deserving of a map of multiple layers so you can capture the "deep" data.

The best thing might be three different maps:
-Relative Altitude (which I suspect is correlated with IR in the Equatorial Zones)
-RADAR
-VIMS

Or you could try to use a whole bunch of colors in the pallette to try and hit all the myriad combinations (example: the RADAR bright, but IR dim, VIMS dark blue = medium blue; while RADAR medium bright,but IR dim, and VIMS dark blue = darker blue). But this will get really complicated (although very pretty) on a global scale.

Do you have 3 globes you'd be willing to sacrifice?

-Mike
Exploitcorporations
Thanks so much, VP! smile.gif
JTN
QUOTE (volcanopele @ Jan 9 2008, 10:52 PM) *
I've updated the Titan RADAR SAR swath page to include all the RADAR swaths released on the PDS (now through T25).

Thanks for this. I've put up Zoomified versions of the new stuff. (I haven't bothered with the distant stuff since it's generally small enough to view directly.) Same caveats as before.
Juramike
Thank you both very much both VP and JTN,

I've been hitting your pages like a hummingbird hits a feeder.

-Mike
volcanopele
The T28 and T29 RADAR swaths are now online in the PDS. I have added them to my RADAR SAR page and to the ISS-RADAR map:

Juramike
Thanks, VP!

-Mike

TheChemist
Many thanks, VP, some nice coastal property there.
Could I point out that the link to the 2nd part of the 256 pixels/deg of the T29 swath should be corrected, currently it opens up the 1st part.
Cheers !
volcanopele
Okay, I figured out what happened. Part 2 being uploaded.
Sunspot
T30 - "Large Northern Sea" ??? ohmy.gif
volcanopele
In that case, I mean Kraken Mare, and not the North Pole Sea.
peter59
The T30 RADAR swath is now online in the PDS. (22 Oct. 2008)
Click to view attachment
Little more (west edge) than image released by Photojournal.
PIA09218
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.