Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I have an announcement
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
Pages: 1, 2, 3
elakdawalla
Well, I don't want to make a fuss, but if I were interacting with a community in any public forum other than on the Internet it would be blatantly obvious to everyone by now that I'm expecting a baby (I'm due August 10, so I'm just a little past five months). I'm determined not to be boring and talk about this (much) in my blog or elsewhere but every once in a while I'm finding that not mentioning it is like not mentioning the thousand-pound gorilla in the room! So I thought I'd get the announcement out there. I'm feeling great, having no complications other than being generally scatterbrained and distracted and mood-swingy and finding myself literally staring at my belly button (watching for those kicks and punches to poke out of my abdomen like the Alien) instead of working. Which is not meant to excuse my occasionally not being in top form, but which hopefully might explain it...

--Emily
djellison
Panic not people, I've already advised against a Planetary Society naming competition smile.gif

I think I speak for everyone here in wishing you and D all the very best - you'll be missed, but I don't think anyone can feel anything but happy for you - we'll survive!

Now - does Cafe Press do baby wear wink.gif

Doug
mhoward
Congratulations! I hope it's just a baby, not a thousand-pound gorilla smile.gif Seriously, we wish you all the best.

Are you going to keep working then, or take an extended time off? Doug's message kind of suggests the latter. Or do they just drum you out of the Planetary Society service if you have a baby?

Mike
elakdawalla
Thanks guys! I will be taking a 12-week leave, though I will probably be unable to keep away from this board from time to time. We've been talking about what to do with the blog. We've decided that just stopping it for 12 weeks is bad, but also that picking one substitute would be risky. So instead we're looking at a string of guest bloggers for one-week stints. I'll post more about that on the blog when we get it more organized.

And here's a bit of trivia for you, in the last several years The Planetary Society has many times been awarded "most family friendly office" by the Pasadena Chamber of Commerce. There's always kids underfoot and I've gotten quite an education from the babies I've watched growing up here! So as soon as I feel like I can get my train of thought back on track I'll be back to work with the baby on my lap. Should be interesting smile.gif

--Emily
Richard Trigaux
I wish you much happiness, you and the baby, elakdawalla. Having babies and little children is a great thing.

Hope he will see a better world, and especially many discoveries in astronomy and space exploration.
ljk4-1
As the old US Army ads used to say, having a raising a child will be
"The toughest job you'll ever love."

Congratulations and good luck, Emily.

Don't think about this too much, but do you realize by the time New Horizons
reaches Pluto he or she will be in the fourth grade!

Yes, it goes faster than it will seem especially at first. So make the
most of every moment.
odave
Fantastic news, Emily! Best wishes for the rest of your ATLO, a smooth launch, and a healthy little package ready for exploration smile.gif
helvick
Let me add my own congratulations. As has been said it's lots of work but time flies and its all very much worth it. I've just come back from a week in Paris with my two teenage girls which was loadsa fun that on it's own very much made up for the intermindable sleepless nights of their youth.
ElkGroveDan
Congrats Emily. I remember the arrival of my first like it was yesterday. It was the highlight of my life. (In fact we delivered her just over the hill from you at Glendale-Verdugo). Take your time, take care of yourself and enjoy every minute. Write everything down, how you feel, what you think, the kid will love it when he/she is older. We've now been through it five times and each time it was amazing as the first.
djellison
Well while we're comparing notes, Helen and I had our first last summer - a bit nervous at first but you get used to things very quickly, gives you a new perspective on things and we've even thought about having another at some point.

We're talking about cat's right?
chris
Emily,

Congratulations! You'll have to post some imaging products for us smile.gif

Chris
mhoward
We have five ourselves, seperated by about a year each except for the twins. One day I came home and there were two more that I didn't even know about. It's a nightmare, especially doing the vacuuming and cleaning the litter boxes... Oh wait, I guess I thought we were talking about cats too.
Bob Shaw
Emily:

You're having a sub-satellite! No, you're not, it's *you* that'll be in orbit around the new arrival, I think...

(end of astronomical jokes, none of which are *that* funny)

Remember to put all your best toys up high now, not later!

Bob Shaw
elakdawalla
QUOTE (chris @ Apr 27 2006, 01:21 PM) *
Congratulations! You'll have to post some imaging products for us smile.gif

You joke but it's amazing what those ultrasound machines can do these days. I'd have a 3D picture to post already except at the first opportunity she was determinedly facing backwards with her hands in front of her face -- hopefully next time! I'll bet that not many expectant moms compare their ultrasound experiences to SAR imaging smile.gif

--Emily
Bill Thompson
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Apr 27 2006, 04:59 PM) *
Well, I don't want to make a fuss, but if I were interacting with a community in any public forum other than on the Internet it would be blatantly obvious to everyone by now that I'm expecting a baby (I'm due August 10, so I'm just a little past five months). I'm determined not to be boring and talk about this (much) in my blog or elsewhere but every once in a while I'm finding that not mentioning it is like not mentioning the thousand-pound gorilla in the room! So I thought I'd get the announcement out there. I'm feeling great, having no complications other than being generally scatterbrained and distracted and mood-swingy and finding myself literally staring at my belly button (watching for those kicks and punches to poke out of my abdomen like the Alien) instead of working. Which is not meant to excuse my occasionally not being in top form, but which hopefully might explain it...

--Emily

Congrats!!

See my son at www.gelsana.com

He is photographed and quoted here as well:
http://www.aaas.org/news/releases/2006/0219sciencefun.shtml
Bjorn Jonsson
Congratulations, wish you all the best.

I assume everyone here is familiar with SAR images of several solar system objects with Venus being the most familiar example but there are some very small asteroids as well smile.gif.
dvandorn
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Apr 27 2006, 03:38 PM) *
...I'll bet that not many expectant moms compare their ultrasound experiences to SAR imaging smile.gif

Never fear, Emily, that was only the results from the F1 encounter. There are several more RADAR passes scheduled before the birth, right?

biggrin.gif

Congrats -- I wish you luck, patience, and foresight. In that order. smile.gif

-the other Doug
lyford
Fantastic News! O Joy Unconfined! O Daipers To Be Changed!

Here's hoping for a smooth EDL...

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Apr 27 2006, 10:34 AM) *
..I'll bet that not many expectant moms compare their ultrasound experiences to SAR imaging

QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 27 2006, 10:34 AM) *
Panic not people, I've already advised against a Planetary Society naming competition smile.gif

Just when I think I have seen the funniest post on this board, this thread hits me with a double whammy - I literally did a spit take on this one!
mchan
Congratulation! Best wishes for a smooth, nominal trajectory. smile.gif
tasp
Fission?

Budding?

Spores?

Oocyte?

Fruiting body?

{I am being informed the poster is most likely a human being}

Oh! My mistake!

Congratulations and please don't post any pics of the

um . . . . .

er . . . . .

ah . . . . .

you know, when it appears.

I'm sqeamish enough as it is.

biggrin.gif
Nix
woaw - missed this one yesterday..

Congratulations !!! You're in for one of the best things in life -not considering sleep though tongue.gif

But really, there's so much more to life with kids..one of my daughters likes to talk about colors, and why Mars has two moons and we only have one!

We wish you all the very best,

Marie-Hailie, Louise-Billie, Anne, Nico
Tesheiner
Great news, congrats Emily!

Enjoy this time 'till the birth, and enjoy her (*) growing. It's a wonderful experience.

(*) If I understood correctly your previous post.
ynyralmaen
Emily,

I'm mostly a lurker around here, but thought I'd pop out of the shadows to wish you big congratulations and very best wishes.

The extra fun of having these little noisy offspring things far outweighs the hassle!

Prepare yourself for a wonderful time.
Geraint smile.gif
(currently with three young daughters, including one Los Angelena! cool.gif )
Toma B
Best wishes Emily!!! biggrin.gif

P.S.
Sleep whenever you can, because you will not have the chance to sleep more than few hours at the time for at least 100 sols...You will see for yourself...
This was actually advice from my wife... smile.gif
And advice from my son would be:
Click to view attachment
MahFL
Congradualtions Emily.
pancam.gif
helvick
B)-->
QUOTE(Toma B @ Apr 28 2006, 03:19 PM) *

P.S.
Sleep whenever you can, because you will not have the chance to sleep more than few hours at the time for at least 100 sols...
[/quote]
My kids were obviously built by the same team as the MER's then - I didn't get more than 2 hours contiguous sleep for the first 2486 Sols. smile.gif
chris
If you stop cleaning them, they may slow down when the dirt has accumulated enough. Or not...

Chris
helvick
QUOTE (chris @ Apr 28 2006, 04:57 PM) *
If you stop cleaning them, they may slow down when the dirt has accumulated enough. Or not...

I just knew we were doing something wrong. Now why couldn't I have had this discussion 15 years ago...
elakdawalla
smile.gif Thanks everybody! Yes, the doctor seemed pretty sure it's a she, but I think the readers of this board know very well how facts can change when new data are received. I'll have to wait for, umm, a closer flyby for me to be totally confident.

Edit: chris: that joke was priceless. biggrin.gif
Rakhir
Congratulations Emily !
I wish you all the best.

We had twins two years and a half ago so I completely agree with Toma B's advice "Sleep whenever you can".
BTW, I should perhaps try to experiment with the dirt accumulation process suggested by Chris.
dilo
Congrats Emily !
biggrin.gif
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Apr 28 2006, 06:58 PM) *
smile.gif Thanks everybody! Yes, the doctor seemed pretty sure it's a she, but I think the readers of this board know very well how facts can change when new data are received. I'll have to wait for, umm, a closer flyby for me to be totally confident.

Emily:

You need a flyby round the backside for that!

(ducks and runs)

Bob Shaw
tedstryk
Congratulations! Somehow I missed this thread until now.
jamescanvin
Congrats Emily!

And congrats to everyone for making this another classic thread. UMSF humor, you've gotta love it!

James
slinted
Congratulations Emily!

It's hard to imagine the wonders of exploration she will witness of the course of her lifetime.
tasp
More inappropriate humor warning:

If delivery drags on several hours longer than you like, PM me for an interesting solution involving shock paddles . . . .

blink.gif

Seriously, best of luck, best wishes, and hopefully a little humor will make everything go a little better.
Stu
Congratulations Emily, that's great news! Somehow missed this thread until now, too.

No JPL "Naming Competition" for the little 'un, I hope... wink.gif

Seriously, my brain whirls at the thought of the things she will see when she grows up. People exploring Mars will be - hopefully - an everyday occurrence for her, and she'll be checking websites for the latest news on NASA's plans to send people to Europa.

Just think, for your daughter, the Mars Rovers' mision will be history... blink.gif
djellison
QUOTE (Stu @ Apr 29 2006, 04:45 PM) *
Just think, for your daughter, the Mars Rovers' mision will be history... blink.gif

Hopefully there will be a bit of overlap smile.gif

Doug
Stu
Hopefully there will be a bit of overlap

Yeah... I meant when she was grown up! smile.gif
chris
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Apr 28 2006, 06:58 PM) *
Edit: chris: that joke was priceless. biggrin.gif

We aim to please biggrin.gif
stevo
Congratulations Emily !
And pay no attention to these old nanny's worrying about lack of sleep. It's amazing how little sleep your body really needs to function well.

Now, where did I put my glasses ...
remcook
congratulations emily!
djellison
QUOTE (stevo @ May 2 2006, 03:11 PM) *
Congratulations Emily !

Under your pillow, but they're broken from when your head hit the pillow smile.gif

Doug
stevo
QUOTE (djellison @ May 2 2006, 10:13 AM) *
Under your pillow, but they're broken from when your head hit the pillow smile.gif

Doug

Not again sad.gif
Marcel
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 27 2006, 08:20 PM) *
..gives you a new perspective on things and we've even thought about having another at some point...

We got two at the time. They (twingirls) became 3 today ! They're aboard NH as well and they already know the planets by name just by looking at an image. It's far more beautifull to experience than anything else....together. Seriously. It's love at first sight that will never fade.....congratulations, take lot's of rest and enjoy every moment of the young life. He/she will be 3 before you know....time flies.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Marcel @ May 2 2006, 12:21 PM) *
We got two at the time. They (twingirls) became 3 today ! They're aboard NH as well

Well that explains the excess launch weight...
PhilCo126
Congrats Emily ... Having a child is a great feeling !
All the best !
climber

Believe it or not, I was walking yesterday at work holding a sheet of paper... and my eyes get to the right low corner to check... what the time was! blink.gif
Congratulations Emily and stay away from computers... but not from UMSF. wink.gif
paxdan
QUOTE (climber @ May 4 2006, 09:43 AM) *
Believe it or not, I was walking yesterday at work holding a sheet of paper... and my eyes get to the right low corner to check... what the time was! blink.gif

Ha ha ha. I do exactly the same thing all the time!

Congratulations Emily, all the best. I hope everything goes smoothly.
mars loon
Congratulations Emily,

Another Cosmic Miracle

made from "Stardust"

ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.