Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Third HSRC Release!
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > Mars Express & Beagle 2
Pages: 1, 2
jaywee
ESA released new set of HRSC images from orbits 1225 and 1863, which are map projected and radiometrically calibrated. At this moment you have to get them through the PSA interface

A color composite of a stripe of Meridiani Planum (includes Victoria) can be found here (2MB)
dilo
QUOTE (jaywee @ Apr 26 2006, 04:21 AM) *
A color composite of a stripe of Meridiani Planum (includes Victoria) can be found here (2MB)

In fact, this is a 90deg rotated analglyph ( huh.gif )... I'm not able to identify Victoria, even though there are many simil-Victoria crates... could you kindly show me where should be?
jaywee
Actually, it's just simple color composite - exactly same as in Oppy subforum. I know the color doesn't feel right somehow but it's not rotated. Look for the 3 big lined craters on the right about 3/4 down the image. Then in the lighter "rectangle" left of the topmost crater, is Victoria. Pixelwise it's [1180;15588] Or look at the Victoria crop for context smile.gif
dilo
Perhaps not intentional, but channel shift around this crater (located at 1/5th of image height) is really 3D if rotated 90deg clockwise and seen through 3D glasses cool.gif
dilo
...and this crater is even more intriguing:
Click to view attachment
(3D too)
slinted
As with the calibrated MER images, there are radiance offsets and factors that need to be applied to get each image into absolute units. They are in the PDS tags. Hilariously, in the map projected images, there are two tags for offset and two tags for scaling, labeled identically. They are significantly different in value, and there's no mention of which is actually supposed to be used...but by trial and error, I think it's the second of each that is appropriate to the map projected images (could be COMPLETELY wrong about this.)

Here's a couple simple image->RGB channel color versions, but with the scaling factors applied (not even close to true color, but a step in the right direction)

The Meridiani image, thumbnail is rotated (left is south), full size has an arrow pointing at Victoria:

And a crop of the full swath containing the water-ice crater on Vastitas Borealis

I'm surprised they didn't mention the larger ice sheet north of the crater in their original releases. It is quite a sight.
Nix
Great work -as always, Daniel ohmy.gif

The larger ice sheet is indeed very impressive.

Nico
djellison
BJORN - img2png has another 'requriement' smile.gif

Dan - did you get those via the map interface or elsewhere? The bottom image is superb.

Doug
slinted
Thanks Nix, Doug!

Doug: classical interface, searching by orbit number, which works like a charm.
Having just discovered these radiometric map projected images (thank you jaywee!!!), well, I'm in 'little kid meets candy store' land to say the least smile.gif

Here's another from much earlier in the mission.

In the Water at Martian South Pole image release, we saw an OMEGA false color image, and a b/w closeup of the South polar cap.

Here's that same area, in color (cropped, and at half res):

Nix
Man I'm enjoying these.. Keep the candy coming tongue.gif

Nico
djellison
Just getting stuff via the RSSD and I can see your folders on the server Dan smile.gif
djellison
You know how some MER mosaics are large....

The Gusev obs from Jan 16th '04....oh my...

4295 x 75,543 ohmy.gif - call it 325 Megapixels.

Doug
Nix
mad.gif I'm getting that interface too now, yet where do you get info on orbit numbers and such?

Nico
babakm
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 27 2006, 06:36 PM) *
You know how some MER mosaics are large....

I was playing with these a few months back and they made (what I thought was) a tidy computer setup slow to a crawl. I got bogged down in, what slinted calls "hilarious", tag hell and eventually gave up.
djellison
oooo- pretty

Orbit 648, nIR, G and B, not calibrated, but just adjust to look 'nice' smile.gif

Doug
djellison
The middle part of that huge 70k tall Gusev observation

Looking around, it seems that a lot more nIR,G,B obs have been done than RGB.

Doug
Bob Shaw
Doug:

About time, too! Happy mining!

Bob Shaw
djellison
I'm struggling to find meridiani obs using lat long search - what parameters are you using?

Doug
jaywee
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 27 2006, 10:15 PM) *
The middle part of that huge 70k tall Gusev observation

Looking around, it seems that a lot more nIR,G,B obs have been done than RGB.

The HSRC doc says it has following filters:
nadir, outer stereo (2), photometric (2) 675±90 nm; blue 440±45 nm; green 530±45 nm; red 750±20 nm; near-IR 970±45 nm.

QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 27 2006, 10:32 PM) *
I'm struggling to find meridiani obs using lat long search - what parameters are you using?

I used the coords from Google Mars: -1.95 354.47
djellison
1087, 1154, 1096 - all polar obs with nIR, G, B - perhaps the ice acts as an 'auto-level' thus making these look reasonable sans-radiometric-calibration smile.gif

1201 just doesnt quite work out right - it needs that offset and scale processing I would imagine - and just for the sake of looking, I did the 1201 Super-Res channel mosaic as well.
slinted
Nix: those first couple were just me looking up the orbit number mentioned in the press releases, I'm just getting a feel for the interface now as well...

babakm: that wasn't the most appropriate word choice on my part, but if we aren't laughing then we're probably crying. I see this glass as being half-full of data (which, for the ESA, is pretty good!)

Doug: 1201, with the scaling factors applied, looks...cartoonishly orange. I'm seeing a lot of individual images that are coming out that color, with almost no chromatic range at all. I'm not sure if a: I'm misapplying these factors, b: the factors are wrong c: it really did look this red from a high phase or illumination angle, both of which would exacerbate the atmospheric filtering or d: the red filter (which is realistically a Near-IR filter itself, with its center outside of human vision) is a bad indication of visible red.
djellison
"Kid in Candy Store" T-Shirts now available...we're nearly there smile.gif

There seems to have been a systematic survey of the south pole during the 1000-1200 orbit numbers. And similarly, a LOT of images of Val-Mar. Mosaic-o-rama-a-go-go at some point smile.gif

Doug
djellison
There is a graph somewhere that plots 'Doug Productivity' vs ' Interesting Data Releases' - it's going to be pretty damning...

anyway - more fun...
djellison
Here's some interesting stuff....

A volcano ( I thought Ol.Mons but I have no idea to be honest - it isnt Ol Mons, a metaphorical cookie for whoever identifies it first ) from the HRSC, showing the coverage of the SRC - and then the SRC mosaic to match.

Because this is a stereo camera, and because there are some serious elevation changes in this lot, you get slight channel miss-match in places - especially with high altitude clouds ( as with some of the polar images )

The HRSC colour image is at a best res of 102 m/pixel - the SRC 3.5m/pixel ( but I've downscaled, so 7m/pixel )
SigurRosFan
Doug, great image of Pavonis Mons. wink.gif Too easy.

Yummy ...
djellison
You win....a metaphorical cookie smile.gif

Do you realise than in the space of 36 hrs we've output more HRSC images than ESA would do in about 6 months smile.gif

Doug
SigurRosFan
Thank you sooo much. wink.gif

My favorite is Pollack with White Rock. Nice contex image.
djellison
You noticed that one has SIX DD's on it...SIX - and all fairly large to be detected at that res.

Doug
SigurRosFan
You noticed that one has SIX DD's on it
No. Six?? Where?
djellison
Actually - I'm going to pitch for more like 12...and I've not highlighted them but there's potentially another 2 in there as well, possibly more. I used Blue, Green and nIR for these...

Blue
START_TIME = 2004-12-25T00:55:56.360Z

Green
START_TIME = 2004-12-25T00:55:37.866Z

nIR
START_TIME = 2004-12-25T00:55:04.547Z

So - given that the red image is 'leading' the blue by 52 seconds, the full res is 89.5 m/pixel, and I'm getting between 6 and 9 pixels of motion between thsoe two frames...I'd estimate a speed of between 10 and 15 m/sec in a SE direction - one problem would be figuring out how much of that apparant motion is because of the slightly different p.o.v. between filters - but I think 10m/sec is a fair estimation.

Look at me, getting all scientific smile.gif

Sadly - they didn't do all the filtes for this obs, but there's a normal red, and an ND filter obs that I've not looked at, so I'll try and do the maths with those later - see how well it ties in with 10-15m/sec

Doug
djellison
Anyone noticed the utterly CRAP flatfielding of the SRC images?

Doug
paxdan
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 28 2006, 03:43 PM) *
Anyone noticed the utterly CRAP flatfielding of the SRC images?

Don't hold back Doug, tell us what you really think! biggrin.gif

Great work mind you, it's nice to see some images from MEX. Keep 'em coming.

QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 28 2006, 03:28 PM) *
Actually - I'm going to pitch for more like 12...and I've not highlighted them but there's potentially another 2 in there as well, possibly more. I used Blue, Green and nIR for these...

i think i see at least another 7 dd.gif
djellison
If I said what I really though, I'd end up banning myself from the forum, which would result in a quantum administrative black hole and the forum would vanish in a cloud of irony.

smile.gif

As a heads up - the ND3 filter is much much higher resolution than the colour filters - me thinks colour overlay on greyscale is in order.

Doug
SigurRosFan
Thanks for pointing out the dusty whirlwinds.
djellison
Ooops - thought I'd get the ND3 of the early Gusev observation....and it's large..and you can't resume downloads ( very bad ).....eek....a single image product, 200 meg and still going.
jaywee
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 28 2006, 05:49 PM) *
Ooops - thought I'd get the ND3 of the early Gusev observation....and it's large..and you can't resume downloads ( very bad ).....eek....a single image product, 200 meg and still going.

After few weeks the entire dataset should be (I hope) also available at http://pds-geosciences.wustl.edu/geodata/

Just have to say - the polar images you made are simply stunning.
elakdawalla
Just have to toss in a "wow" here -- these images are tremendous! I agree with jaywee -- and those dust devil images are tremendous too! Wish I had time to play, but I'm perfectly happy to be a spectator to your fun -- just keep the images coming!

--Emily
tedstryk
Wow...this is incredible!
Phil Stooke
Really nice stuff. Well done everybody.

Phil
djellison
A bit of Val.Mar joy before bed smile.gif

Doug
djellison
The map interface for the PSA is crappy, and the classical PSA is as bug ridden as hell - null this, 1>=0 that, blah blah.....

Yuck

Doug
djellison
Emily will have some goodies to show you in the not too distant future re: the Dust Devils in the White-Rocks image...but meanwhile - another Gusev observation, this time Orbit 637, and I've changed my channel-mixing technique. I find using Colour Balance just on mid-tones is very effective ( +53, -10, -15 for those interested )

Doug
elakdawalla
Duly blogged; these images are fabulous! Thanks Doug!

http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00000561/
http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00000562/

--Emily
slinted
The images are top notch, but the dust devil movies are *incredible*. Excellent catch, and great presentation!
djellison
Wonder if I squeeze a paper out of it?

ANyway - meanwhile, after noting that my martian geography is so bad I couldnt tell the difference between the north and south pole, I thought I'd play with something a little less...'dynamic'...

Thats just about every Val Mar image I can find from the first 1250 orbits, I may have missed a few - but as you can see then tend to drop into 'batches' of similar observations from which I could probably generate some nice regional mosaics.

Doug
remcook
great job! this is so cool smile.gif

yay to more public releases
DDAVIS
QUOTE (remcook @ May 4 2006, 04:23 PM) *
great job! this is so cool smile.gif

yay to more public releases

Where can I find NASAVIEW for Mac OSX? it's not in the usual JPL location.

Don
djellison
Here - http://pds.jpl.nasa.gov/tools/software_download.cfm - I think.

Doug
jaywee
Doug,
I just can't stress enough how magnificent the DD animations you made are. I wonder if ESA knows what they have smile.gif (Have you shown them to Jim Bell?)

Anyway, as I said before - the archive is now available at http://pds-geosciences.wustl.edu/geodata/m...approjected-v1/ it's biggest advantage is easy accessibility of the thumbnail jpg images.

Oddly, eventhough the ESA page says it covers 1-1863, it ends at 1295. Have you found data from newer orbits in the PSA interface?
djellison
Yup - via the psa you can get to 1800andsomething

The browse JPG's are utterly perfect - they're exactly what was needed, and being able to just grab an orbits data instead of using the lengthy convoluted pain-in-the-backside PSA system is a big big BIG bonus - if you can catch up to 1863, it would be great.

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.