Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3D Glasses
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
Bill Thompson
Lots of cool NASA sites have 3D images. I would imagine there would be a place or a way to get the 3D glasses for free. Anyone know anything about this?
lyford
These Folks keep coming up but I have never used them...
CosmicRocker
I purchased the better anaglyph glasses from the RainbowSymphony people for $7 US, and I am quite happy with them. If you are really interested in viewing anaglyphs, those plastic ones are well worth the price. They sell regular glasses or clip-ons. But their free, cardboard ones will work well enough for the casual observer.

I purchased thousands of their cardboard glasses for some presentations that I did, and I have several hundred of them left over. If you, or any other forum members have trouble getting free ones from RainbowSymphony, I'd be happy to mail some. I guess, if there is a large demand, I would ask that people send me a self addressed, stamped envelope to simplify the process. Most of those that I have are made of plain white cardboard, but I do have some that are printed with what appears to be a color background image of the ground from the Gusev plains, the names "Spirit" and "Opportunity," their landing dates, sketches of the rovers, and a short narrative about each rover on the inside. You can contact me through the forum message system, or at my forum name @gmail.

I don't expect that there will be a large demand for these, so if any of you who regularly do presentations would like larger quantities of them, let me know. I'll give them away until I run out.
Airbag
I just received my plastic glasses from the RainbowSymphony store, and I must say I am disappointed with them. The lens filters are not as accurate in terms of color filtering as my freebie cardboard ones from Sky and Telescope, and leave red and cyan ghosting, at least on my screen, which makes viewing the anaglyhs more tiring. The S&T ones do not do that.

Also, the glasses are very tight on my head, and my head isn't that big cool.gif

So, considering you also have to buy 2 miminum (OK for sharing I guess) plus pretty steep shipping fees, I would not recommend them.

Airbag
Michael Capobianco
I bought Rainbow Symphonies' clip-ons, and I'm pretty satisfied with them. They fit better on some kinds of glasses than others, however, and there is some ghosting. I've always assumed that the ghosting could be taken care of by changing the color adjusments on the monitor, but I haven't been motivated enough to try it. cool.gif

Michael
CosmicRocker
I've been happy with my clip-ons from rainbowsymphony, but Airbag's comments about ghosting made me curious. Now, I am questioning my happiness. laugh.gif Ghosting seems to be a problem for anaglyphs where there are large and abrupt changes in brightness, such as in those of Opportunity at Meridiani. It is hard to avoid ghosting with the very bright white outcrops contrasting with the very dark sand drifts.

I opened one of those with some obvious ghosting problems and viewed it alternately with the plastic clip-ons and a cheap cardboard pair. I was surprised to discover that the view through the el-cheapo glasses was indeed less affected by the ghosting. I'm at a bit of a loss to explain it, since the clip-on filters seem to have the same color density (Is that the right terminology?) in red as the cardboard glasses, and the cyan filter seems to be denser. unsure.gif
MahFL
I bought the plastic glasses too from Rainbow and they are tight on my head too, and my hat size is 6 7/8th's, which is not big.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.