Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: T14 (May 20, 2006)
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Titan
AlexBlackwell
I guess it's never too early. biggrin.gif

Titan-14 Science Highlights

Ultraviolet Imaging Spectrometer (UVIS) – will probe haze optical properties, atmospheric nitrogen emissions and hydrocarbon absorption, and absorption by methane of the Lyman-alpha interplanetary background which helps us understand the distribution of methane in the thermosphere of Titan.

Radio Science Subsystem (RSS) - A T14 ingress/egress occultation of Titan will provide high spatial-resolution electron number density profile of the ionosphere, temperature-pressure and absorption profiles of the neutral atmosphere , as well as information about the small-scale structure of the atmosphere (gravity waves, turbulence, layers). An inbound and outbound RSS bistatic scattering observations of Titan's surface will provide information about the dielectric constant, nature, and roughness of the region probed.

Composite Infrared Spectrometer (CIRS) - will perform high spectral resolution studies of Titan's limb in the far-infrared regime unseen by Voyager, to search for new species and to map the vertical distribution of CO, CH4, HCN and H2O. CIRS will also continue existing campaigns of global temperature and composition mapping, extending spatial and temporal coverage.

Radio and Plasma Wave Spectrometer (RPWS) – Study the interaction of the magnetosphere with Titan at intermediate distances for evidence of ion pickup, radio emissions, density profiles, and the general wave environment.
volcanopele
At the rate you are going Alex, you will posting the T44 preview in a couple of weeks wink.gif
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (volcanopele @ Mar 21 2006, 08:05 PM) *
At the rate you are going Alex, you will posting the T44 preview in a couple of weeks wink.gif

Oh, I'll let T44 clear Aftermarket first biggrin.gif
Big_Gazza
I thought T14 was going to include a SAR pass? Starting in southern Shangri-La, and heading east skirting southern Belet before dipping down and fizzing out before reaching Tsegihi.

Is this still the plan? I'm a certifiable SAR-junkie craving for a hit, so I certainly hope so biggrin.gif
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (Big_Gazza @ Mar 22 2006, 11:42 AM) *
I thought T14 was going to include a SAR pass? Starting in southern Shangri-La, and heading east skirting southern Belet before dipping down and fizzing out before reaching Tsegihi.

Is this still the plan? I'm a certifiable SAR-junkie craving for a hit, so I certainly hope so biggrin.gif

Cassini RADAR team member Ralph Lorenz put it best during the T11-T14 TOST Preview meeting: "T14 - nothing."
volcanopele
T14 is a bistatic pass, not a RADAR SAR pass. I think the tracks shown on the Cassini Cam page include both RADAR SAR and Bistatic passes and don't differentiate between the two.

For SAR junkies, the next SAR pass will take place on July 22 for T16. This pass comes very close to the north pole (swath reaches as far north as ~80N). All the passes from T16 through T19 have SAR. T17 (Sept. 7) is a half-SAR pass (only the time after, or before can't remember which, C/A has SAR), and covers western Fensal and northeast Xanadu. T18 (Sept. 23) is another half swath at north polar latitudes reaching as far north as ~67N. Finally, T19 (Oct. 9) will be another North polar pass (reaching as far north as 82N), overlapping the T16 swath in some areas.
BruceMoomaw
Well, bistatic radar is not to be sneezed at in understanding the place.
The Messenger
QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ May 10 2006, 03:35 PM) *
Well, bistatic radar is not to be sneezed at in understanding the place.

http://www.aas.org/publications/baas/v32n3/dps2000/121.htm

QUOTE (Marouf et al)
Bistatic-scattering is a well-established technique for determination of the nature and physical properties of planets and their satellites...Information regarding surface properties is recovered from analysis of the received echo intensity, polarization, and spectral properties. In particular, echo polarization over the Brewster-angle-range of icy surfaces (50-65 deg.) yields direct estimates of the (composite) surface dielectric constant independent of surface roughness (if surface scattering is dominant). Observations over a range of scattering angles yield additional diagnostic information regarding the nature of the scattering mechanism and related physical surface properties (liquid vs. solid, surface vs. volume, surface roughness, …etc).

After a few of these passes, we should have a much better idea about how wet the sand is wink.gif
Decepticon
Does this Bistatic-scattering create a image?
BruceMoomaw
I would imagine that -- if they point the spacecraft's radar dish in an appropriate way -- analysis of the echoes of the radar pulses received on Earth for signal strength, timing and Doppler dispersion could allow us to break them down into at least a low-resolution imaging map, in just the same way that the spacecraft itself does so when it recieves its own radar echoes. Bistatic radar was used a number of times on Magellan, but I don't know how good the spatial resolution of the resultant echoes was.)
Phil Stooke
Some Venus bistatic data have been presented as maps... it's a long time since I looked at it, but I think it was Venera data - probably the earlier Venera orbiters - and in Cosmic Research or some such place. The coordinates given were hard to interpret, I seem to recall (E or W? N or S?). They only covered very small areas.

Phil
edstrick
The first bistatic planetary radar observations, I believe, were by Mariner 6 and/or 7! A plot of the received spectrum of the signal as the spacecraft were going into (I think, don't know about exiting without digging in the "stacks" for a probable xerox of a paper in Icarus) occultation, shows the carrier frequency of the signal and a doppler shifted weak reflected signal that converged with the direct signal and disappeared at occultation. Viking orbiters did a few experimental bistatic passes too.

I believe plots exist of bistatic signals from the Pioneer Venus probes bouncing off the surface before impact. Not much signal, lots of noise, but "kewl"
Thorsten
T14 Flyby page is up!

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/prod...description.pdf
Decepticon
I'm looking forward to seeing images of Elba Facula.

When ESO took images of this part of titan it has always struck me as being a massive crater/basin. Since then there really doesnt seem to be much evidence for that.

Here's the image I'm am talking about.
volcanopele
QUOTE (Decepticon @ May 16 2006, 06:37 AM) *
I'm looking forward to seeing images of Elba Facula.

When ESO took images of this part of titan it has always struck me as being a massive crater/basin. Since then there really doesnt seem to be much evidence for that.

Here's the image I'm am talking about.

Our best imaging of Elba Facula came in T11.
Decepticon
Got them all saved up. biggrin.gif
Decepticon
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...heQ=0&storedQ=0

Some pics Up!
ugordan
This has indeed been a flyby concentrating on atmospheric observations.
Nevertheless, here's a sight you don't see every day:
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...eiImageID=76196

Solar System Simulator view here
That would be Rhea being dwarfed by Titan's limb.
Bob Shaw
Gordan:

A slightly more familiar perspective - I wonder who'll claim to have been holding the camera *this* time?

Bob Shaw
The Messenger
QUOTE (ugordan @ May 22 2006, 01:31 AM) *
Nevertheless, here's a sight you don't see every day:

Oh, I get my thumb on the lens all the time tongue.gif
climber
[quote name='The Messenger' date='May 22 2006, 08:17 PM' post='55300']
Oh, I get my thumb on the lens all the time tongue.gif

Thumb is kind of old fashioned. I wonder how many ear's pictures are shot everyday with cellular phones wink.gif
dilo
A false color view based on MT3+IP+Blue filters:
remcook
very pretty! smile.gif
BruceMoomaw
Ron Baalke has just sent out the latest Cassini status report, confirming that the T14 flyby was totally successful:

"A 'quick-look' analysis of the signal intensity profiles computed from the 1 KHz bandwidth recorded data indicate high quality S-, X-, and Ka-band ionospheric and atmospheric occultation data were acquired on both the ingress and egress sides. Signal frequency data was also collected and appears to be of equally good quality.

After a 'quick-look' analysis of the recorded 16 KHz bandwidth T14 data analyzed last night, the RSS Team is happy to report the successful detection of the first ever bistatic echo received from the surface of Titan. It is a whisper, as if Titan is trying to hold back on one more of its secrets, but is no doubt real, and is beautiful! The detection is, of course, the first step towards the goal of finding out what the echo tells us about the surface region probed."

The next Titan radio occultation won't be until T27.
ljk4-1
They won't be trying to save the data from Titan 15 should an
outage occur during playback:

Monday, June 12 (DOY 163):

After examining the situation, Cassini scientists have agreed that an
attempt should not be made to recover science data from Titan 15 should an
outage occur during playback. The Mission and Science Planning teams
studied the specifics of the T15 high-value data recording and playback in
detail. The conclusion was that little high-value data recovery was
feasible via an after-the-fact response. The majority of the high-value data
will either be played back too late in a pass for a real-time response and
then overwritten shortly thereafter, or played back too early in a pass and
then overwritten too soon by real-time engineering and MAPS data.

And those of you in or near London should stop by and say Hi:

Many individuals from the Cassini science teams are out of town this week
for the MAPS workshop being held at Imperial College in London, England.
The workshop begins today and concludes on Friday, June 16.

Team meetings
for Ion and Neutral Mass Spectrometer, Magnetospheric Imaging Instrument,
and Magnetometer Subsystem will be held today and tomorrow. On Thursday
there will be a Titan workshop, and on Friday morning a workshop on
planetary rotation modulation phenomena, and in the afternoon, Saturn's
magnetosphere: plasma regions, boundaries, and transport.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.