Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saturn, Tethys, Mimas and more!
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini general discussion and science results
ugordan
A neat RGB set recently came down, similar to another one previously released. It features Tethys, Mimas lit by saturnshine and another small moon at the right edge of the image, suspended in the rings.

Click to view attachment

My money is on either Epimetheus or Janus.
At the time, distance from Saturn was 2.6 million km and phase angle was around 112 degrees.
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (ugordan @ Mar 14 2006, 08:22 PM) *
My money is on either Epimetheus or Janus.

I'm pretty sure it's Janus. In fact, one of the two "Kodak moments" planned for S19 is a March 13, 2006, image very similar to the thumbnail you posted.

Click to view attachment
ugordan
Wow. Are you actually involved in the project or just know people who know people?

Janus it is, then! cool.gif
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (ugordan @ Mar 14 2006, 08:38 PM) *
Wow. Are you actually involved in the project or just know people who know people?

Neither, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night biggrin.gif
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Mar 14 2006, 08:28 PM) *
I'm pretty sure it's Janus. In fact, one of the two "Kodak moments" planned for S19 is a March 13, 2006, image very similar to the thumbnail you posted.

Click to view attachment

As I understand it, the other KODAKMMT planned for S19 is slated for April 2, 2006:

Click to view attachment
BruceMoomaw
QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Mar 14 2006, 08:46 PM) *
Neither, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night biggrin.gif

So THAT explains my successes.
pat
QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Mar 14 2006, 09:28 PM) *

Click to view attachment

It is indeed Janus
ugordan
Here's an (approximately) true color shot of Saturn taken on March 16 with the wide angle camera. I wish there were more of these lovely crescent, PR shots.
Click to view attachment

Note a small, dark speck just below the ringplane. According to Joe Knapp's excellent raw image analysis tool, it's either Pan or Epimetheus.
dilo
Did someone noticed this family portrait? (Rings, Enceladus, Rhea and... Pandora?):
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...9/N00055061.jpg

Edit: using raw image analysis tool, just verified is Pandora and... we should have also Atlas somewhere!
pat
QUOTE (dilo @ Mar 19 2006, 08:21 PM) *
Did someone noticed this family portrait? (Rings, Enceladus, Rhea and... Pandora?):
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...9/N00055061.jpg

Edit: using raw image analysis tool, just verified is Pandora and... we should have also Atlas somewhere!

Ahh, its not Pandora, its Janus. And its Tethys not Rhea.
pat
QUOTE (ugordan @ Mar 19 2006, 10:55 AM) *
Here's an (approximately) true color shot of Saturn taken on March 16 with the wide angle camera. I wish there were more of these lovely crescent, PR shots.
Click to view attachment

Note a small, dark speck just below the ringplane. According to Joe Knapp's excellent raw image analysis tool, it's either Pan or Epimetheus.

Without knowing which images this is all I can say is that its too big and too far out of the ring plane to be Pan so I'd go with Epimetheus.
ljk4-1
A Crescent Saturn

Wed, 19 Apr 2006 - This view of Saturn shows a thick crescent of the planet bathed in sunlight with the rest in shadow. Three moons are visible in this photograph: Mimas, Ryea and Tethys. Cassini took this photograph on March 11, 2006 when it was approximately 2.8 million kilometers (1.8 million miles) from Saturn.

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/ti...rn.html?1942006
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.