Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old Maps of Mars
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Mars
David
I'm trying to track down a map of Mars for a friend who remembers seeing it years ago but no longer has a copy. As best as I can tell from the description, it was one of the earliest global maps made, and so presumably published soon after Mariner 9; and it seems to have been projected in two hemispheric maps, one centered on 0° longitude and the other on 180° longitude. I expect that if anyone can remember such a map, it would be somebody here. Many thanks in advance for any assistance.
Phil Stooke
Almost certainly you are referring to the National Geographic Society's Mars map, very widely distributed and well known. It should be easy to find in a second-hand book store (they often have a few old NGS maps)., or through Ebay etc.

Phil
David
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 14 2006, 04:00 AM) *
Almost certainly you are referring to the National Geographic Society's Mars map, very widely distributed and well known. It should be easy to find in a second-hand book store (they often have a few old NGS maps)., or through Ebay etc.

Phil

You could be right, but I actually have that map (February 1973) and it's projected in three hemispheres (centered on 120°, 0° and 240°) not two. So I was wondering if it might be something else.
Phil Stooke
Oh yeah! I forgot it was in three parts. When I get to my office tomorrow I will look through my maps and see if I can find another in two hemispheres. But now you point that out, I can't think of one now. The US Geological Survey, makers of most Mars maps, has not done one in two hemispheres, I am pretty sure. I think Edmund Scientific has a Mars map in two hemispheres, but it's much more recent.

Phil
ljk4-1
While perhaps not quite what you are looking for, here is an
image of a Mars globe with Mariner 6 and 7 photos pasted
across it:

http://beacon.jpl.nasa.gov/Histphotos/hpom/241-267.html
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 14 2006, 04:46 AM) *
Oh yeah! I forgot it was in three parts. When I get to my office tomorrow I will look through my maps and see if I can find another in two hemispheres. But now you point that out, I can't think of one now. The US Geological Survey, makers of most Mars maps, has not done one in two hemispheres, I am pretty sure. I think Edmund Scientific has a Mars map in two hemispheres, but it's much more recent.

Phil

Phil:

Isn't there also a *really* old mappe of Phobos somewhere?

Bob Shaw
Phil Stooke
David, I can't find a Mariner 9 era Mars map in two hemispheres. I think it's possible the memory of the two hemispheres is a mistake.

Bob - why yes, I believe you're right. It was so early, Nostradamus must have had a hand in it.

http://publish.uwo.ca/~pjstooke/phoborum.gif

Phil
dvandorn
Ecxellent work, Philhippus!

I just have one minor disappointment -- nowhere on the boundaries of your wonderful map do you tell us where there be dragons...

blink.gif

-the other Doug
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 14 2006, 05:08 PM) *
David, I can't find a Mariner 9 era Mars map in two hemispheres. I think it's possible the memory of the two hemispheres is a mistake.

Bob - why yes, I believe you're right. It was so early, Nostradamus must have had a hand in it.

http://publish.uwo.ca/~pjstooke/phoborum.gif

Phil

Phil:
The next camping time would be on the famous and giant Stickney crater of C-type (blackish carbonaceous chondrite). According to Phil's Phobos topography map in the Solarviews Web is that inside of Stikeyney crater might have an impresive view since the bottom floor is somewhat narrow (around 1-2 km) and the height of crater rims from the bottom should be of about 1.5km - 2km). Aren't correct these measures?

Rodolfo
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Mar 14 2006, 05:46 PM) *
Isn't there also a *really* old mappe of Phobos somewhere?

Yeah really old would be nice, like prior to the Stickney impact. I'd like to see that map.
ljk4-1
And here are some maps of Barsoom:

http://johncarterofmars.phantombookshop.co...om%20(Mars).htm
Myran
Phil Stooke said: It was so early, Nostradamus must have had a hand in it.

I would rather have guessed freiherr Karl Friedrich Hieronymus von Münchhausen. wink.gif
Bob Shaw
We've all seen the Stooke-O-Vision ™ exagerrated relief images of Mars (so much better than those old-fashioned Lovell-O-Gram © Lunar images) but now there's something better: 3-D 20x exagerrated relief *globes* of the Earth, Venus and Mars. The only problem is the cost: $600. Still, the Little Prince would be proud to live on such a body, and being an aristo he might have the cash to pay for it.

As they look exceptionally tactile, should they be described merely as being '3-D'? I toyed with names like 'Stooke-O-Fondle' but decided not to mention it, what with Phil's (ahem) 'enthusiasm' for Frankie Howerd and the like!

http://www.reliefglobe.com/

Bob Shaw
Phil Stooke
Bob, what Frankie and I get up to in our own time is no concern of yours.

But... interesting globes!

Phil
t_oner
For a cost of about 10 globes you can buy a desktop milling machine and create your own 3d maps, here is my first model, Toutatis. What do you think Phil?
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (Tayfun Öner @ Apr 9 2006, 07:19 PM) *
For a cost of about 10 globes you can buy a desktop milling machine and create your own 3d maps, here is my first model, Toutatis. What do you think Phil?

It looks sorta... ...rude.

Bob Shaw
Phil Stooke
A very nice model! I'd like to see more.

Phil

(Don't worry about Bob - he thinks everything is rude)
t_oner
Someone has even made commercial asteroid models http://serradesignsinc.com/ast_models.htm
Phil Stooke
Yes - but except for Eros, all are based on radar shape data, often very low resolution. Itokawa, for instance, is the pre-Hayabusa radar shape. It would be really nice to see models of Gaspra, Ida and Mathilde from shapes at the PDS Small bodies node.

Phil
ljk4-1
QUOTE (Tayfun Öner @ Apr 9 2006, 04:44 PM) *
Someone has even made commercial asteroid models http://serradesignsinc.com/ast_models.htm

I recall when you could by a large, accurate model of Phobos
for only $500. It looked like a big lump of coal to everyone else,
but you alone would know that you have a cool, expensive, and
accurate model of the largest moon of Mars.
t_oner
Instead of millling the object itself, I will make moulds next time, if I can cast them successfully one copy for you Phil. smile.gif
Bob Shaw
Not old maps of Mars, but a convenient source of Lunar maps. These appear to be largely A3 prints off of .PDF files, but are nevertheless good value if A3 colour printing isn't your thing! I recently bought the 44 sheet LAC set and was well satisfied for the price.

I wonder whether there's anything similar on the Mars front?

Bob Shaw
PhilCo126
I've written a few articles on mapping the planet Mars and its moons, Phobos & Deimos ... in fact Phil helped me out with some great MArtian Moons photos ... Contact me and I'll send You a .pdf version of those articles wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.