Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MVACS proposal science description
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > Phoenix
AlexBlackwell
Several years back, there used to be a PDF (or PostScript) version of a high-level description on the web of the proposed science for the Mars Volatiles and Climate Surveyor (MVACS), which formed the core of the Mars Polar Lander science payload. In fact, I believe this document was part of David Paige's MVACS proposal that he submitted (and which was ultimately selected) for the Mars Surveyor Lander 98 announcement of opportunity. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Despite several Google searches, I can't find it anywhere on the web. Does anyone happen to have a copy or know where an online version is?

Thanks.
BruceMoomaw
I MAY have it -- I've certainly got two or three Web documents about this mission recorded on CD-ROM that are no longer available on the Web. I'll take a look.
elakdawalla
QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Mar 1 2006, 04:54 PM) *
Several years back, there used to be a PDF (or PostScript) version of a high-level description on the web of the proposed science for the Mars Volatiles and Climate Surveyor (MVACS), which formed the core of the Mars Polar Lander science payload. In fact, I believe this document was part of David Paige's MVACS proposal that he submitted (and which was ultimately selected) for the Mars Surveyor Lander 98 announcement of opportunity. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Despite several Google searches, I can't find it anywhere on the web. Does anyone happen to have a copy or know where an online version is?

Have you tried asking Dave Paige for it directly?

--Emily
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Mar 2 2006, 01:07 AM) *
Have you tried asking Dave Paige for it directly?

Not yet biggrin.gif

QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Mar 2 2006, 01:07 AM) *
I MAY have it -- I've certainly got two or three Web documents about this mission recorded on CD-ROM that are no longer available on the Web. I'll take a look.

Thanks, Bruce. I think I have it archived somewhere, but I'd have to search through (literally) scores of CDs to find it. By web standards, it's a pretty old document (ca. 1999 or so).
AlexBlackwell
Thanks for trying, Bruce. I already have the PS PIP, which, by the way, is on the web. If I can't find the document I'm looking for in my CD collection, I'll contact Paige. For the record, here is the info that was on the cover page:

NASA AO No. 95-OSS-3

Mars Volatiles and Climate Surveyor
(MVACS)

Integrated Payload Proposal for the
Mars Surveyor Program ‘98 Lander

Volume 1
Investigation and Technical Plan

Principal Investigator
David A. Paige
University of California, Los Angeles
AlexBlackwell
A couple of things:

(1) Thanks to Bruce for looking through his archive for the document I am looking for. One of the reasons I posted this request is that I've known a few of this forum's participants for several years now, and I know some of them (like me) like to squirrel away documents.

(2) I thought I would run gauntlet (1) before trying out David Paige. However, after coming up empty on the search, I finally contacted him today. He told me he'd look through his files and send me copy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.