Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Martian Horizons
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Tech, General and Imagery
Nix
This is something I've had in mind for a long time and I uploaded the first part of it just now.

The way lighting conditions change on Mars got me thinking about a way to visualize it through some horizon-row pans, as most of the difference is in the sky/near the horizon.
While these are not scientifically perfect works regarding true color, the way Mars appears on different times should be apparent from these pans in the color and false-color pans.

Awalkonmars Home

Comments and further ideas appreciated!

Nico smile.gif
aldo12xu
Hey, Nico, that's really cool! Obviously a lot of work involved. I like the fact you included false colour and vertically exagerated versions. I can't look at the QTVR files at work but will when I get home. I'm looking forward to checking that out.

Cheers,
Aldo.
Ant103
Yessss!
I've just seen it! This is a greatful job, very clean and professionnal (yes! yes : you listen good : pro wink.gif)
Further, is it possible to have QTVR pano who cover fully the scene (with alla ground, from horizon to MER body, ans the sky, from 0° to 90°)? This could be very amazing, but, felicitation for yout great job.
Richard Trigaux
For me, "calibrated colours" mean an as realistic as possible colour rendering (accounting witht he filters used) so that we take three images, of three filters, and get a three channels color view, not a colorized greyscale view. For instance, if you look at the well known pano a Burns cliff, it looks realistic, but if you look at the color target (the thing with four color dots and a sun dial) it looks orange, telltale of an overal orange colorization of a greyscale image (which was even not shot with a visible light filter, as the target dots appear all of the same colour). So we don't really know yet what colour is Mars.
I remember on the yellow forum there was a discution with somebody saying that the marsian sky is blue. A somewhat surprising statement, but not completelly stupid: fine dust may look blue like smoke, with Raleight diffusion, exactly as the Earth sky. But how to know the truth, if all the martian images we see are just colorized greyscale? We could as well colorize them in green, and say that the martian sky is green.
djellison
QUOTE (Richard Trigaux @ Feb 15 2006, 09:34 PM) *
if all the martian images we see are just colorized greyscale?

They're not.

You can get the data here -
http://anserver1.eprsl.wustl.edu/navigator...rover=B&sol=294

That panorama, and specifically those frames happened to be taken at a point when the sun was directly behind the dial, and thus reflecting off its surface

You can see that even in the raw imagery
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...unity_p294.html

I've gone and made that 'column' of data, and straight out of my normal processing flow I get the first attachment, and the seconds attachment is that image, stretched to maximize dynamic range - and one gets a very similar result to that of the Athena release image.

Doug
paxdan
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Feb 15 2006, 09:18 PM) *
Yessss!
I've just seen it! This is a greatful job, very clean and professionnal (yes! yes : you listen good : pro wink.gif)
Further, is it possible to have QTVR pano who cover fully the scene (with alla ground, from horizon to MER body, ans the sky, from 0° to 90°)? This could be very amazing, but, felicitation for yout great job.

Ant103: This 360 degree QTVR of the husband hill summit pan was created by a UMSF member called Malmer and is spectatular. I guess most 360 pans could be converted into a 360 QTVR pans using a synthetic sky, and dropping in a standard deck pan section if it wasn't taken as part of the sequence.

shift: to zoom in
ctrl: to zoom out
click and drag with the mouse to move around
Nix
I use pano2qtvr for PTgui panosoftware which is a basic converter doing a great job.

Ant103, thanks, as for the 0°-90° (3/4-row pans) in qtvr, mail me if you'd like any of the full Nasa/JPL pans in qtvr.
I've been doing a lot of the official panos in qtvr and lately also the anaglyph navcam panoramas they've produced. They rock!

My full 360's are a SLOW work in progress since I'm trying to minimize the geometrical stitching errors in PTgui. Less final correction in PS on the individual layers means any pan I do can easily and rapidly be redone using other color/false-color/any single filter frames of the same sol/imaging sequence.
(by the 'replace' function in PTgui.)
So if I develop some skills one day rolleyes.gif into scientific true-color approach myself I can rerun any of the pans for online release or posters..I'd really like to get into printing one day. Though that time will come, it just don't need to be too soon, let those cuties drive around just a little bit longer tongue.gif

Are they still people around thinking Martian skies are bright blue? no way.

Nico
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.