Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pioneer Jupiter/saturn Orbiter
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future
gndonald
Amongst the documents available on the Spaceflight PDF website, is a report released by the Ames laboratory in the aftermath of the Pioneer 10 and Pioneer 11 flybys of Jupiter. It proposes modifying the basic Pioneer spacecraft so that it could be used to carry out orbital missions to Jupiter and Saturn (The 14mb file can be downloaded here.).

The proposed modifications would have left the instrument fitout essentially unchanged while providing increased power through the use of Voyager model RTGs. Launches in 1982 (Leave Earth 01/Jan/82, Arrive Jupiter 10/Mar/85) and 1985 (Leave Earth 14/Apr/85, Arrive Jupiter 04/May/87) and in 1983 (Leave Earth 05/Jan1983 Arrive Saturn 10/Dec/1987) and 1986 (Leave Earth 20/Jan/1986 Arrive Saturn 03/Jan/1991) were contemplated.

As we all know these missions finally materialized as Galileo and Cassini.

One has to wonder what the scientific results would have been if these (admittedly lesser) craft had been sent to Jupiter and/or Saturn in the aftermath of the Voyager flybys.

Any ideas?
mcaplinger
QUOTE (gndonald @ Feb 13 2006, 09:36 AM) *
One has to wonder what the scientific results would have been if these (admittedly lesser) craft had been sent to Jupiter and/or Saturn in the aftermath of the Voyager flybys.

Any ideas?

Interesting stuff. Such a spacecraft at Jupiter would have been able to concentrate on particles and fields stuff, and
left Galileo free to concentrate on imaging and remote sensing, instead of the overly-complex,
spun/despun section, do-everything-poorly design it was ultimately stuck with.

Of course, the money wasn't there to do this mission. It's hard to get a straight answer about the ultimate scientific return
of the Galileo mission. Certainly it didn't provide the sort of eye candy that Cassini has; I was recently looking through
a coffee-table book about the Galileo mission (MOONS OF JUPITER by Kristin Leutwyler) and was struck at how poor
most of the imaging was. Obviously the mission was terribly constrained by the antenna failure, but all the happy talk about
how well mission objectives were recovered seems hard to support with the end product.

I'm sure there's a fascinating book to be written about the Galileo mission (infighting between Ames and JPL, all of the delays,
all of the in-flight problems) but I've not seen it yet.
Sunspot
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Feb 13 2006, 07:19 PM) *
Of course, the money wasn't there to do this mission. It's hard to get a straight answer about the ultimate scientific return
of the Galileo mission. Certainly it didn't provide the sort of eye candy that Cassini has; I was recently looking through
a coffee-table book about the Galileo mission (MOONS OF JUPITER by Kristin Leutwyler) and was struck at how poor
most of the imaging was.

Are you sure about that? lol. Have you seen the mosaics that Exploitcorporations has made and posted in this thread?

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showforum=48
JRehling
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Feb 13 2006, 11:19 AM) *
It's hard to get a straight answer about the ultimate scientific return
of the Galileo mission. Certainly it didn't provide the sort of eye candy that Cassini has
[...]
Obviously the mission was terribly constrained by the antenna failure, but all the happy talk about
how well mission objectives were recovered seems hard to support with the end product.

I'm sure there's a fascinating book to be written about the Galileo mission (infighting between Ames and JPL, all of the delays,
all of the in-flight problems) but I've not seen it yet.

I've thought about a thread assessing what it would be like to have (had) Cassini-style imaging performed with Galileo's flightplan. I haven't tapped the Galileo raw images to make a fair comparison, but I never saw any image products from a single Galileo flyby on the scale of the recent Cassini Enceladus flybys.

On a release basis, and on a scientific basis, the hedge in "defense" of the gutted Galileo dataset is that twice the imagery usually means less than twice the science. A given world has only so much variety of terrain, and seeing the same phenomenon twice (or ten times) may not improve the understanding.

On the other hand, surveying the variability in a phenomenon (like gullies on Mars or cycloidal rifts on Europa) does benefit from seeing multiple versions of it. For example, until you see lots of them, you can't notice that they tend to be on poleward-facing slopes.

Of course, since the actual Galileo dataset is what we have, we can't guess what we're missing. Except by retrospectives on how much our knowledge of other places has improved when we've gotten "the Cassini version" after already having had "the Galileo version". And the tendency has been that we have kept learning more with more observations.

MOC @ Mars is an interesting case. Have the novel discoveries tapered off? Exponentially, logarithmically, etc?
ljk4-1
I wonder if because the Galileo mission began its survey of Jupiter back
when the World Wide Web was just getting underway and instant Internet
information was not quite as common as it is now (and there were fewer
home PCs) has something to do with the fact that we don't see as much
Galileo data - in addition to the fact that stuck antenna did a number on
image return.
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Feb 13 2006, 08:18 PM) *
I wonder if because the Galileo mission began its survey of Jupiter back
when the World Wide Web was just getting underway and instant Internet
information was not quite as common as it is now (and there were fewer
home PCs) has something to do with the fact that we don't see as much
Galileo data - in addition to the fact that stuck antenna did a number on
image return.

Galileo was totally ignored by the media in the UK as it approached Jupiter; it was only via the WWW that i was able to pursue information at the time of orbit insertion (though, it must be said, the comet impact images *did* garner some footage in the press). I well remember the terrible-quality OpNav first image of a quarter-Jupiter, defaced by bars of missing data - I was *so* pleased to see it!

Then, things went quiet once more, until the WWW caught up. For my money, MGS and NEAR were where the real torrent of public data got going.

Bob Shaw
ljk4-1
QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Feb 13 2006, 04:06 PM) *
Galileo was totally ignored by the media in the UK as it approached Jupiter; it was only via the WWW that i was able to pursue information at the time of orbit insertion (though, it must be said, the comet impact images *did* garner some footage in the press). I well remember the terrible-quality OpNav first image of a quarter-Jupiter, defaced by bars of missing data - I was *so* pleased to see it!

Then, things went quiet once more, until the WWW caught up. For my money, MGS and NEAR were where the real torrent of public data got going.

Bob Shaw

And Mars Pathfinder - NASA had so many hits on its Web site they frequently
threatened to overload.

http://mpfwww.jpl.nasa.gov/default.html

http://research.microsoft.com/~mbj/Mars_Pathfinder/
BruceMoomaw
Interesting stuff. Such a spacecraft at Jupiter would have been able to concentrate on particles and fields stuff, and
left Galileo free to concentrate on imaging and remote sensing, instead of the overly-complex,
spun/despun section, do-everything-poorly design it was ultimately stuck with.

It was pointed out by one of Galileo's managers that, had it been designed in the 1990s, it would probably have been split up into three spacecraft: flyby entry probe carrier, spin-stabilized fields and particles orbiter, and fully stabilized remote-sensing orbiter. (It WAS after all, split into two missions at one point.) Keep in mind, though, that in the late 1970s NASA was absolutely determined to make all its spacecraft as big as possible in order to require that they be launched on its winged White Elephant rather than on expendable boosters. Cheap and sensible deep-space missions were just one more victim of the Shuttle Fraud.
mcaplinger
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Feb 13 2006, 11:39 AM) *
Are you sure about that? lol. Have you seen the mosaics that Exploitcorporations has made and posted in this thread?

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showforum=48

Some of those are astonishingly good. I wonder if someone with a real Web site could host these in a more browsable form.

QUOTE (JRehling @ Feb 13 2006, 12:06 PM) *
MOC @ Mars is an interesting case. Have the novel discoveries tapered off? Exponentially, logarithmically, etc?

Tough question. Since we've imaged such a small fraction of the planet at MOC resolution there could be another major discovery in an image we just took today. In terms of papers in SCIENCE, on the other hand, the discovery rate has tailed off, but that might be in part because of the science analysts also working on other stuff (MRO, MSL, etc.) I don't think you could find very many LPSC abstracts about Mars that didn't use MOC data, though.
edstrick
A mission that I'm wondering whether it was proposed and how much it might have been studied is a Mariner 9+ Venus orbiter. Take the Mariner 9 design, modify it for Venus thermal and communications requirments, maybe take out the telephoto camera, add a near-infrared spectrometer and/or radar altimeter and you'd have had a hell of a mission.

Mariner 10 ended up flying as the first Mercury recon with a very useful Venus flyby with non-optimum geometry and instruments for Venus. Pioneer Venus Orbiter did a lot with a smaller spacecraft, though a terrible scientific loss was the failure of the infrared atmosphere radiometer which was one fine instrument that only lasted some 1/5 of the primary mission.
tedstryk
I took a look at Moon's of Jupiter. Frankly, although the Galileo set is indeed limited, that book's poor quality goes beyond that. All they did was collect press release images, and often scaled them poorly. A much product could be made.
Exploitcorporations
I feel compelled to jump in on this one. It almost appears that Galileo was abandoned from a PR standpoint in terms of imagery. Hundreds of stunning photographs of Europa were returned, most from the multiple extended missions. Several large swaths of terrain recieved excellent medium-resolution coverage, any many small-scale features were covered with tightly defined footprints(perhaps impossible for Cassini) that reveal some of the most freakishly contorted landforms in the solar system. Bob Pappalardo mentioned that it had been planned to release the mosaics constructed by the Galileo SSI team over the internet, but the effort fell by the wayside. He has also pointed out that MTF(modulation transfer function) filtering has not been run on Galileo's images, which would sharpen them considerably. Color data is limited but certainly usable. More than enough material is available from this truncated but very sucessful mission to fill an attractive, well produced coffee-table volume, or a comprehensive website for that matter. It is a mystery to me why, considering that the dataset is but a tiny fraction of those produced by Mars missions, more of an effort has not been made by NASA to visually turn the Galilean satellites into actual worlds for the public.

Edit:
mcaplinger: a website is under construction, albeit slowly, and should be up by about mid-March.
Decepticon: yes, at least until carpal-tunnel syndrome sets in or Europa thaws out.
Decepticon
Exploitcorporations Are there any more images that your still working on?
Jyril
QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Feb 14 2006, 12:23 AM) *
And Mars Pathfinder - NASA had so many hits on its Web site they frequently
threatened to overload.

In fact, it was the most visited website for a while.
AlexBlackwell
I'm sure there's a fascinating book to be written about the Galileo mission (infighting between Ames and JPL, all of the delays, all of the in-flight problems) but I've not seen it yet.

I had heard that, at one point, the NASA History Division was to have published the "official" history of the Gailieo Project by 2003, presumably something simliar to On Mars: Exploration of the Red Planet, 1958-1978. NASA SP-4212.

Since that has not happened as of yet, I guess to get a flavor of Galileo's trials and tribulations, we're left with vignettes in others' books, for example, Bruce Murray's Journey Into Space: The First Three Decades of Space Exploration.
Chmee
Well a big difference in what would have been returned if we had the Pionneer-type orbital craft at Jupiter would have likely been at least one craft there in orbit when the comet Shoemaker-Levy crashed into its surface in 1994. The imagery from a craft in orbit would have been outstanding!

Of course, if the Challenger acident had not happened the Cassini itself would have been there by 1990 and would have see it as well.

Bad timing all around! sad.gif
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (Chmee @ Feb 14 2006, 05:39 PM) *
Of course, if the Challenger acident had not happened the Cassini itself would have been there by 1990 and would have see it as well.

I presume you meant Galileo, right?
BruceMoomaw
Actually, that's NOT true. One of the bizarre ironies of the Galileo Saga (which is definitely worthy of a book; it took up literally half of my entire life) is that, if it hadn't been for every single one of the delays -- including the one caused by the Challenger tragedy -- Galileo would have failed completely before even reaching Jupiter, and it wouldn't even have been America's fault!

West Germany's Messerschmidt was assigned the job of building Galileo's main engine and maneuvering thrusters. They used the same thrusters on West Germany's first direct-broadcast comsat, TVSat-1, launched in early 1987. The satellite immediately became useless for its purpose because one of the technicians had failed to take all the pre-launch retention latches out of one of the solar panels and it wouldn't unfold, reducing the satellite's power by half -- but they then decided to use it for engineering tests. Lo and behold, within just a few months the attitude thrusters all started to burn out; it turned out that Messerschmidt had made a serious design error and not tested them enough to catch it. Galileo's thrusters would similarly have burned out -- or exploded -- within a short time of launch. One JPL engineer told Aviation Week, "We would have tried to find a work-around, but I doubt we could have done it." NASA and Messerschmidt then began a frenzied program to redesign, retest and reinstall new thrusters before Galileo's late 1989 launch; they made it with just a few months to spare.

So -- notwithstanding the fact that the Challenger accident was also indrectly responsible for jamming Galileo's high-gain dish -- if it hadn't been for that tragedy and all the previous years of repeated delays, the mission would have been TOTALLY lost and had to be reflown.

QUOTE (edstrick @ Feb 14 2006, 10:02 AM) *
A mission that I'm wondering whether it was proposed and how much it might have been studied is a Mariner 9+ Venus orbiter. Take the Mariner 9 design, modify it for Venus thermal and communications requirments, maybe take out the telephoto camera, add a near-infrared spectrometer and/or radar altimeter and you'd have had a hell of a mission.

Mariner 10 ended up flying as the first Mercury recon with a very useful Venus flyby with non-optimum geometry and instruments for Venus. Pioneer Venus Orbiter did a lot with a smaller spacecraft, though a terrible scientific loss was the failure of the infrared atmosphere radiometer which was one fine instrument that only lasted some 1/5 of the primary mission.

They could have done that very easily indeed. Aviation Week, at the time, mentioned that a Venus orbiter was one of several alternative uses being considered for the Mariner 10 backup spacecraft. (Another was having it make a flyby of Comet Encke, albeit at a rather distant several thousand km because of the difficulty of installing dust shielding on it.) Needless to say, they ended up using it for nothing at all, and so it now hangs in solitary glory on the wall of the Air and Space Museum, near Voyager 3 and Viking Lander 3. (When I visited the Museum in 1983, I ground my teeth at that particular part of the displays.) I suppose it could indeed have been used to fly the Pioneer 12 mission at lower total cost -- although, since it wasn't spin-stabilized, its total observation time would have been a lot less.
edstrick
They came fairly close to flying the Mariner 10 backup vehicle. They had an Atlas Centaur reserved and everything, I think.

When Mariner 10 was launched, they had two immediate hardware failures.

The sun-facing part of the solar wind instrument never opened it's door to look at the direct solar wind, and all they got was data from the electron spectrometer that looked anti-sunward.

Potentially more disastrously, the heaters on the twin super-telephoto lenses on the imaging system's cameras failed to come on and the lenses's temps promptly headed for something like -40 or -60C.

They quickly improvised some imaging sequences (I'm not sure they had ANY planned for immediately after launch) and imaged the Earth, Moon and some star cluster, maybe the Pleiades while (I think) they started preparing a contingency launch of the backup. For the-great-old-ones-havent-told-us-why reasons, the cameras DID NOT defocus as they were expected to. For much of the mission, they kept the cameras powered up (inviting failure) to keep things as warm as possible, and some time later, maybe after the Venus encounter, the heaters decided to come on all by themselves, ending the problem. (And the lenses didn't promptly DEFOCUS, either!)

Go Figure.

So they cancelled the backup launch and mothballed the spare spacecraft.

Boeing built Mariner 10 instead of JPL. It had a several times higher inflight level of problems and glitches and failures than Mariners 69, Mariner 9 and the Viking Orbiters, all JPL built.
BruceMoomaw
Oh, yes. Bruce Murray's "Flight to Mercury" provides a splendid summary of that bizarre Perils of Pauline story -- they practically had pieces fall off the craft all the way to Mercury. The fact that it succeeded was a miracle -- the flight crew worked themselves literally into exhaustion devising solutions for the problems they could, and all the critical problems that they couldn't solve (such as a crack in the signal lead to the high-gain antenna) miraculously fixed themselves just in time. This was actually NASA's first experiment with the Better-Faster-Cheaper policy, and I suspect it scared them into rejecting it again until the 1990s. It had far more glitches and serious failures than ALL the previous Mariners put together, with the possible exception of Mariner 2 (which had quite a Perils of Pauline ride itself, although I continue to marvel at the bizarre fact that the US got a successful probe to Venus 19 months before it got one to the Moon. What SF writer would ever have dared predict that?)

As for the cameras: their shots of the Earth and Moon (all planned long before launch) revealed that the cameras were teetering on the very brink of defocusing without QUITE going over -- some of the shots show strange, small smeared strips where they actually did defocus. Mariner 11, had it flown, would have been on an Atlas-Centaur swiped from an imminent comsat launch -- a plan also devised long in advance.
JRehling
It's too bad a second Mercury Mariner wasn't launched, but in a different window, so as to image the other side of Mercury and give us ~90% coverage of the surface. Messenger's second flyby will finish the elementary "reveal" of inner solar system surfaces.
edstrick
I have a pre Mariner 10 study document on mission concepts, and one thing that was considered but relatively high risk and not "in the budget" was development of a electron-beam-recorded-tape data recorder. A technology that never expanded out of the laboratory, it used an electron beam to write onto a tape, altering the tape surface (sort of like burning a CD) and could achieve very high data density compared with magnetic tape of the time.

They had ideas of a rapid-fire imaging system, more like viking's, and an ability to image the entire sunlit surface during a flyby at some 50 meters resolution.

The primary mission mode was tape and dump, but they developed an experimental high-speed data link that (with high bit error rates) was able to transmit direct to earth at something like 144,000 bits/sec instead of 16,000 or so like Mariners 69 did experimentally and Mariner 9 did operationally.

Not as good as the EB recorded tape but much better than a Mariner 69 type flyby.
ljk4-1
This should probably go in the Mercury folder, but while the discussion
is here, I found this Web site with lots of images and other data on
the Mariner 10 mission, including original NASA bulletins:

http://cps.earth.northwestern.edu/merc.html

Also the online NASA publication The Voyager of Mariner 10:

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-424/contents.htm

Mariner 10 Image Browser and Reconstructor:

http://members.tripod.com/petermasek/mariner.html
gndonald
QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Feb 15 2006, 06:01 AM) *
They could have done that very easily indeed. Aviation Week, at the time, mentioned that a Venus orbiter was one of several alternative uses being considered for the Mariner 10 backup spacecraft. (Another was having it make a flyby of Comet Encke, albeit at a rather distant several thousand km because of the difficulty of installing dust shielding on it.) Needless to say, they ended up using it for nothing at all, and so it now hangs in solitary glory on the wall of the Air and Space Museum, near Voyager 3 and Viking Lander 3. (When I visited the Museum in 1983, I ground my teeth at that particular part of the displays.) I suppose it could indeed have been used to fly the Pioneer 12 mission at lower total cost -- although, since it wasn't spin-stabilized, its total observation time would have been a lot less.

Sorry to reopen an old thread but I ran into a proposal that can be related to the one I linked to in the OP, Ames made a similar proposal to regarding the Pioneer 10/11 backup spacecraft. Dubbed 'Pioneer H', the mission would have used a trajectory similar to that flown by the Ulysses mission.

One planned launch date was in 1974 with the Jupiter encounter taking place in June 1975 (After Pioneer 10 in December 1973 & Pioneer 11 in December 1974.).

Sadly it ended up on the wall Smithsonian along with a number of other flight spares.

The details of what was planned, can be found in the following document:

Pioneer H Jupiter swingby out-of-the-ecliptic: Mission study, 1971
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.