Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dawn At Meridiani Planum
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Nirgal
From time to time, the rovers are programmed to do beautiful evening/morning shots that have always been fascinating me with extraordinary contrast and
long, sharp shadows ...

Here is a color interpretation of Navcam shots of the now familiar Olympia Scenery. but with the setting and lightening conditions at dawn adding a new feel to it ...

enjoy smile.gif

Nix
ohmy.gif lovely! very inspiring.

Nico
Myran
Didnt take me more than a split second to decide, thats a new desktop for me. smile.gif
Nirgal
Oops I just saw that I made a language mistake in the image title.
Since the photo was taken at 17:24 Mars local time it should, of course, read "dusk" instead of "dawn".
I just learned that in english one can say "dawn" only for the morning and not for the evening time of day (?) , unlike the german word "Dämmerung" that applies to both morning and evening ...

smile.gif
tty
QUOTE (Nirgal @ Feb 14 2006, 10:01 PM) *
Oops I just saw that I made a language mistake in the image title.
Since the photo was taken at 17:24 Mars local time it should, of course, read "dusk" instead of "dawn".
I just learned that in english one can say "dawn" only for the morning and not for the evening time of day (?) , unlike the german word "Dämmerung" that applies to both morning and evening ...

smile.gif

"Dämmerung" is "Twilight" in English, hence "Götterdämmerung" = "Twilight of the gods". In Swedish we compromise: "gryning" means "dawn" while "skymning" means both "twilight" and "dusk".

tty
Nirgal
QUOTE (tty @ Feb 14 2006, 10:34 PM) *
"Dämmerung" is "Twilight" in English, hence "Götterdämmerung" = "Twilight of the gods". In Swedish we compromise: "gryning" means "dawn" while "skymning" means both "twilight" and "dusk".

tty

Thanks tty !

yes .. "Meridiani Twighlight" would have been a good title too smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.