Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Phobus-grunt
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Mars
RNeuhaus
I found a spanish article about the future launch of a Russian with the cooperation of ESA spacecraft to land on one of Mars satellites: Phobos. The year 2010 would be an interesting year with many Mars missions: MSL and Phobus.

Phobos-Grunt

The mission designed to study Mars from its orbit, the landing on its moon, Phobos, and the return of soil samples from Phobos back to Earth has been stalled by financial problems.

This mission’s objectives are to collect soil samples from Phobos, a satellite of Mars and to bring the samples back to Earth for comprehensive scientific research into Phobos, Mars and Martian space. Studies would include:

* both in situ and remote studies of Phobos, including laboratory analysis of the soil samples
* monitoring the planet Mars, including the holistic dynamic behaviour of the atmosphere and dust storms
* studies of Martian surroundings, including plasma and dust components, and the radiation environment

On October 22, 2005, the Russian government signed decree No. 635, approving Federal Space Program for 2006-2015. It included funding for the Phobos-Grunt project, then slated for launch in October 2009 onboard the Soyuz-2 rocket.

http://www.sondasespaciales.com/modules.ph...rticle&sid=1632
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/ESA_Permanent_...IJFW4QWD_0.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phobos-Grunt

Rodolfo
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Feb 8 2006, 05:25 PM)

Thanks for the pointing.

Rodolfo
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Feb 8 2006, 10:22 PM)
On October 22, 2005, the Russian government signed decree No. 635, approving Federal Space Program for 2006-2015. It included funding for the Phobos-Grunt project, then slated for launch in October 2009 onboard the Soyuz-2 rocket.

[BROKEN RECORD MODE=ON]I'll believe in this mission when I see it happen[/BROKEN RECORD MODE]. cool.gif
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Feb 8 2006, 08:02 PM)
[BROKEN RECORD MODE=ON]I'll believe in this mission when I see it happen[/BROKEN RECORD MODE].  cool.gif

Now, at those times, Russia is even much better economically than the decade 1990 by which Russia had been undergone in chaous economic also with its space exploration due to perestroika, glashnot, and one more done by the former Soviet President: Michael Gorvachov. On these days, Russian economic is growing strong and now Russian are not so isolated from the world. Now these days, Russian are working more together and cooperation with Western countries. Hence, these factors will permit Russia to reverse the bad past space exploration into a more orderly and succesfull missions.

Look forward in knowing the next successfull missions.

Rodolfo
tedstryk
QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Feb 9 2006, 01:02 AM)
[BROKEN RECORD MODE=ON]I'll believe in this mission when I see it happen[/BROKEN RECORD MODE].  cool.gif

Even seeing an actual spacecraft being built would give me more confidence. Of course, if oil prices stay high, Russia may have the money if it has the will.
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (tedstryk @ Feb 9 2006, 07:22 AM)
Even seeing an actual spacecraft being built would give me more confidence.  Of course, if oil prices stay high, Russia may have the money if it has the will.

Not only of oil but Russia has the biggest gas natural reserve of the world. So Russia has lots of future.

Rodolfo
David
On the topic of Phobos (but not Grunt), as I noticed today a particularly brilliant near-full moon high in the late afternoon sky, it occurred to me to wonder if Phobos would be visible in the Martian daytime. I realize that its apparent diameter is, at best, about half that of an Earthly full Moon, but even that might be visible if Phobos reflected enough light. Could it be brighter than the Martian daytime sky?
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (David @ Feb 9 2006, 09:38 PM)
On the topic of Phobos (but not Grunt), as I noticed today a particularly brilliant near-full moon high in the late afternoon sky, it occurred to me to wonder if Phobos would be visible in the Martian daytime.  I realize that its apparent diameter is, at best, about half that of an Earthly full Moon, but even that might be visible if Phobos reflected enough light.  Could it be brighter than the Martian daytime sky?

David, you can ensay it at Click to view attachment
http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/wspace?t...rite=1&showsc=1

Good wink.gif

Rodolfo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.