Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Earth+jupiter From Meridiani?
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
dilo
Look at the sequence starting with this image.
There are two very bright stars rising in the dawn light.
Using Solar System simulator, I strongly suspect they are Earth and Jupiter... look at the following comparison with one subframe rotated/rescaled at the same scale:
Sunspot
Yes, the data tracking site listed "Jupiter - Earth Observations" smile.gif
dilo
Thanks, Sunspot. This make me happy and I cannot resist with this celebration image (a deją vue for many, but now with a planetary partner!)...
Click to view attachment
The inset is a "super-res" average of 8 single frames, enlarged by 2.5.
djellison
and...AND...according to Jim - Venus at some point. That would make Mars, Venus, Earth and Jupiter visible in a single image ohmy.gif

Doug
dilo
Damn, Doug, you are right!!!
I didn't notice because was in the glow, but with some enhanching is exactly where should be (left bottom / rotated img)... What a portrait!
[/quote]
Shaka
QUOTE (dilo @ Jan 31 2006, 10:44 AM)
Thanks, Sunspot. This make me happy and I cannot resist with this celebration image (a deją vue for many, but now with a planetary partner!)...
Click to view attachment
The inset is a "super-res" average of 8 single frames, enlarged by 2.5.

Magnifico, Dilo! biggrin.gif laugh.gif
But I want color ! Colore, ha capito? I want to see my blue home!
dilo
This is for you, Shaka wink.gif (good italian, where do you live, with more precision?)
RNeuhaus
According to the following URL using the view from Mars: http://space.jpl.nasa.gov web page to draw the view map from Mars:

Click to view attachment

According to the above view map, the Earth point might be in the middle of three bright points.

Rodolfo
Shaka
QUOTE (dilo @ Jan 31 2006, 12:05 PM)
This is for you, Shaka  wink.gif  (good italian, where do you live, with more precision?)

Giallo, azzura, rosso - Bella, bella, bella!
With precision: When I first wake up, I can see Mokoli'i in Kaneohe Bay.
In the past: A farmhouse between Marina di Pisa and San Piero a Grado.

E' tu? Dove nell' Italia Centrale?
Ciao
dilo
QUOTE (Shaka @ Jan 31 2006, 10:26 PM)
Giallo, azzura, rosso - Bella, bella, bella!
With precision: When I first wake up, I can see Mokoli'i in Kaneohe Bay.
In the past: A farmhouse between Marina di Pisa and San Piero a Grado.

E' tu? Dove nell' Italia Centrale?
Ciao

Thanks, but it was a joke (obviously, Jupiter isn't red!) biggrin.gif
This is a more serious version...I worked to brings up Venus (in the low/left corner) and,Rodolfo, Earth is between the two! ...enjoy...
RGClark
QUOTE (dilo @ Jan 31 2006, 10:55 PM)
Thanks, but it was a joke (obviously, Jupiter isn't red!) biggrin.gif
This is a more serious version...I worked to brings up Venus (in the low/left corner) and,Rodolfo, Earth is between the two! ...enjoy...

Thanks for that color image Dilo. The clouds look really dense here.

- Bob Clark
odave
Wow, what an inspiring image. I started pondering the angles and opened up my copy of The Sky. If I were to go out into my back yard tomorrow morning at 2:08am EST, assuming a completely clear horizon and perfect sky conditions, I could see Jupiter and Mars on opposite sides of the sky. Jupiter would be ~2.5 degrees above the eastern horizon, and Mars ~2.5 degrees above the west. And there above we have the same scene from Mars' POV. Cool.

I've just been loving the rovers' astrophotograpy!
Airbag
As cool and inspiring as these new images are, they do show the limitations of trying to eek out super-res data from these already processed and compressed images. In the inset Earth looks to have an almost circular disk but that can't be with a phase angle (from Mars) of about 100 degrees or so:

Earth as seen from Mars January 31st 2006

But, very cool!

Airbag
dilo
Correct, Airbag. The PanCam pixel is slightly larger that apparent Earth size, so cannot resolve it! I tried to find also the Moon (should be about 15 pixels below Earth in the enlarged image) but, as usual, is too weak... sad.gif
Thanks for the kind words.
dilo
Now on TPS site... thanks for this honor, Emily!
http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00000446/
mars loon
QUOTE (dilo @ Jan 31 2006, 10:55 PM)

Marco,

this is beautiful and its just in time for my next presentation to an astronomy club. Its just missing "You are there".

ken
Nix
Nice planetary portrait Marco!

Nico
Zeke4ther
What I think would be cool would be the day we could have permanent astronomical observatories on another world.
Imagine seeing the detail we could get by having such a long base-line.
Bubbinski
What would be even COOLER still is if I could take my Mak telescope and actually look at Earth from Mars with my own eyes. But alas....it isn't yet possible.
dilo
look at the last colour triplet from Oppy Pancam (Sol 865), this is an enhanced version:
Click to view attachment
I guess image was taken shortly after sunset; the bright, saturated object barely visible in the sky should be a planet (peraphs Earth, based on bluish color). Any suggestion/simulation?

EDIT: ignore this post, I just discovered that the stuff appear only in one image (L5), so probably is a cosmic ray!
djellison
Well - 1231 local time aquisition - so it'd be suprising to see it at mid-day

Attached image shows the earth was 45ish degrees above the horizon at the time of aquisition

And....it's a bit of noise in the L5...but it's not in the L4 or L6 - so I think it's just a cosmic ray hit..

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...O9P2629L4M1.JPG
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...O9P2629L5M1.JPG
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...O9P2629L6M1.JPG

Doug
Stu
STUNNING Dilo, just stunning... can't wait to show that at my astronomy society meeting tomorrow night, if that's okay?
dilo
QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 2 2006, 10:28 PM) *
STUNNING Dilo, just stunning... can't wait to show that at my astronomy society meeting tomorrow night, if that's okay?

Hope you're just joking, Stu.
As you can see from Doug reply and from my edit row, we both concluded is only a cosmic ray... sad.gif
Sorry for the false alarm, I was too fast in publishing image without accurate check!
Stu
Ah, ok... I was half asleep... still a nice pic tho!
Pavel
QUOTE (dilo @ Jul 2 2006, 04:01 PM) *
EDIT: ignore this post, I just discovered that the stuff appear only in one image (L5), so probably is a cosmic ray!

Close-up of cosmic ray smile.gif
Click to view attachment
ustrax
I love Dilo! biggrin.gif
Shaka
QUOTE (ustrax @ Jul 3 2006, 09:20 AM) *
I love Dilo! biggrin.gif

Run for it, Dilo! Here comes the Mad Hugger!
rolleyes.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (Shaka @ Jul 3 2006, 09:50 PM) *
Run for it, Dilo! Here comes the Mad Hugger!
rolleyes.gif

I've thought about 'I want to hug Dilo' but sounded to dejį vu... rolleyes.gif
dilo
Hey, you know that sometime enthusiasm can bring to some mistake... I think most of us did at least once!
Anyway, too much love, ustrax! tongue.gif - Stu, I do not know Mad Hugger / I would like to know the story...
ustrax
QUOTE (dilo @ Jul 3 2006, 10:06 PM) *
Hey, you know that sometime enthusiasm can bring to some mistake... I think most of us did at least once!
Anyway, too much love, ustrax! tongue.gif - Stu, I do not know Mad Hugger / I would like to know the story...

I know Dilo is a latin fellow so love to him means, in this context, what he knows...Not what you anglo-saxonian associates interpretate...
Hey Dilo...I would love to meet your people in the WC final... smile.gif
dilo
QUOTE (ustrax @ Jul 3 2006, 09:15 PM) *
I know Dilo is a latin fellow so love to him means, in this context, what he knows...Not what you anglo-saxonian associates interpretate...

No problem, amigo! wink.gif would be nice such a meeting...
dilo
QUOTE (ustrax @ Jul 3 2006, 09:15 PM) *

Dear friend, sadly this will not be possible, next match with France! sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.