Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steve Squres Update
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Tech, General and Imagery
Sunspot
New mission update:

http://athena1.cornell.edu/news/mubss/
TheChemist
Let's all sing and praise GongGong, the king of water from the north biggrin.gif

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/spirit_m736.html
Toma B
So after all we are still going toward Victoria!!! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
The drive south from here is going to be interesting. Victoria crater beckons, and we really want to lay down some serious mileage. At the same time, we have to keep the vehicle safe, and we have to make sure we don't blow by anything too interesting. A balance is necessary, but our hoped-for drive strategy is a pretty aggressive one. A lot of it, of course, will depend on whether or not Mars cooperates.
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Steve)
At Meridiani, Opportunity is moving again. We've found a way to drive short distances with the IDD deployed...

Stange that Steve put the words "short distances" in there. The drive to Victoria is anything but!

Does that mean they are going to risk stowing the IDD properly for the long drive? Or just that they don't know yet that it's ok for longer drives as it's as yet untested?

James
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Jan 31 2006, 01:05 AM)
QUOTE (Steve)
At Meridiani, Opportunity is moving again. We've found a way to drive short distances with the IDD deployed...

Stange that Steve put the words "short distances" in there. The drive to Victoria is anything but!

Does that mean they are going to risk stowing the IDD properly for the long drive? Or just that they don't know yet that it's ok for longer drives as it's as yet untested?

James

James:

I'll bet they drive exclusively backwards to Victoria, so that if the IDD comes free it trashes itself but doesn't hang up the MER (hopefully).

Bob Shaw
Shaka
QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Jan 31 2006, 12:11 AM)
I'll bet they drive exclusively backwards to Victoria, so that if the IDD comes free it trashes itself but doesn't hang up the MER (hopefully).

Bob Shaw

Oppy's walking backwards for New Years
Across the hematite sea...

(apology to Seagoon) cool.gif
elakdawalla
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Jan 30 2006, 04:05 PM)
QUOTE (Steve)

A little bird told me yes. They have to do it because of the risk to the other motors in the arm when it's not stowed properly.

--Emily
dot.dk
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Feb 1 2006, 12:20 AM)
A little bird told me yes.  They have to do it because of the risk to the other motors in the arm when it's not stowed properly.

--Emily

So I guees that means not many stows/unstows on the way to Victoria smile.gif

I guess the broken IDD isn't all bad in the end laugh.gif
odave
EDIT: nevermind, posts crossed in the aether(net)
RNeuhaus
I am also afraid of stowing the IDD so I would rather leave it as extended as possible so that it won't stuck again.... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif.

The idea of Bob with driving backward is good. So the front right wheel is already so tired and it need to be rotated in order to be lubricated even better. So, I speculate that Oppy will imitate to Spirit its backward driving style.

Rodolfo
djellison
They're not sure how they'll park the arm for longer drives, but according to JB ( check the new Q'n'A smile.gif ) they'll use this current parking position for short bumps, and perhaps a hybrid parking postition for the longer drives - they're stilll working on that though.

Doug
Bill Harris
We don't need a long drive right now. Just 80 meters. To the Mogollon outcrop. Just a short test drive to evaluate the new stowage position. Once there, we can evaluate the options.

Sorry, I had to get that out... biggrin.gif

--Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.