Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thera, Thrace, And Agneor Linea
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Jupiter
Exploitcorporations
Here's a broad view of this geographically distinctive region (insert National Geographic narrator here). This mosaic was made from two isolated frames of 17ESREGMAP01 at approximately 220m/pxl, three frames from 17ESAGNEOR01 at about 180m/pxl, and a reprojected background image from 14ESGLOCOL01 (taken from an opposite perspective and lighting geometry) at 1.4km/pxl.

Thera, Thrace, and Agneor Linea
Exploitcorporations
High-resolution mosaic of a small portion of Thrace Chaos:

17ESTHRACE01

17ESTHRACE01 in context
BruceMoomaw
Ah, so you've imaged Thrace thrice? (Special award to anyone who can identify where I stole that joke from.)
dvandorn
"A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum"?

-the other Doug
BruceMoomaw
Bah. That didn't take long.
Decepticon
I'm loving these images!

It's like reexperiencing the Galileo mission.
Exploitcorporations
QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Jan 28 2006, 08:45 PM)
Ah, so you've imaged Thrace thrice?  (Special award to anyone who can identify where I stole that joke from.)

Theriousthly, Bruth, this harrathmenth abouth my speeth hath to thtop. laugh.gif

Interestingly, neighboring Thera Chaos was one of the first medium-resolution targets for Galileo at Europa during the prime mission, as it was positioned on the terminator (along with Cilix far to the north) during the C3 nontargeted encounter. Most of the structure is lost in shadow and radiation noise in the image. It's frustrating to realize how many fantastic opportunities for imaging coverage were lost to the high-gain failure. I recall seeing a footprint plot for the C3 high-res map of the terminator in the January 1996 issue of Astronomy that obviously predated the problem...

Here's the C3 image in two projections: C3ESWEDGES01c
edstrick
Face it... as wonderful as it was, the Galileo orbiter mission we got was a "Salvage Job". <grumble-sigh>
Exploitcorporations
This is the first of several planned presentations of medium-resolution Galileo mapping. This mosaic consists of 19 images from four separate observations of the southern antijovian hemisphere of Europa, most from the very productive E17 pass. An annotated version is included, along with the low-resolution E6 view used as the backdrop.

Europa's deep south

Annotated map

E6ESGLOBAL01
Exploitcorporations
Libya Linea at high resolution. This view has an excellent example of the subtle undulations visible in these broad, relatively smooth expansion zones, with prominent fractures at the peak. Similar features are visible in Astypalaea Linea.

17ESLIBLIN01

Context
vexgizmo
Don't forget that good color is available over this southern area, too--the same E14 global color that ted used to make his beautiful mosaics. wink.gif

False color is here: Photojournal Thrace-Thera color
jasedm
Very very impressive work exploitcorporations. It's great to see some of the galileo imagery reprojected and presented in these formats.
I'm in awe of the image manipulation that is showcased by many who post on UMSF - thanks for sharing.
Exploitcorporations
Thanks for the kind words. I'm starting to get somewhat of a grip on color compositing. Here's a portion of the E14 mosaic referred to in vexgizmo's post:

Click to view attachment
Exploitcorporations
Galileo obtained two high-resolution views of Agneor Linea during E17. This is the eastern one, covering the "fork".

17ESAGNEOR03e

Context view

High-resolution color
Bill Harris
I'm starting to get somewhat of a grip on color compositing.

And you are the master of the understatement.

Wonderful imagery! Europa is now taking on the appearance of another world instead of a pastel abstraction. Thanks.

--Bill
Exploitcorporations
Here's the western view of Agneor Linea, covering the area south of the "eye" in Katreus Linea. A four-frame crop of this mosaic was released by JPL in 1999. In the context view, the brightness of the central stripe has been exaggerated to match the background images.

17ESAGNEOR03w

Context view
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.