Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Phoenix Merchandise?
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > Phoenix
AlexBlackwell
Has anyone ordered any of the "Phoenix Mars Lander 2007 Official Merchandise"?
dvandorn
No -- but can one order one of the Mars Lander Ladies? (Top row, middle.)

wink.gif

-the other Doug
AlexBlackwell
I just received the pullover hooded sweatshirt (with the Official Phoenix Mars Lander 2007 logo embroidered on it) that I ordered a couple of weeks ago. I have to say, it's pretty cool.
BruceMoomaw
Yeah, and after Phoenix crashes you can always get rid of it on EBay.
Decepticon
I rather buy a Half decent model of the lander at a affordable price.
djellison
QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Mar 17 2006, 03:15 AM) *
Yeah, and after Phoenix crashes you can always get rid of it on EBay.

Is that a precursor to a Bruce after-the-event-prediction that you knew it would crash all along?

Doug
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Mar 17 2006, 01:35 AM) *
I just received the pullover hooded sweatshirt (with the Official Phoenix Mars Lander 2007 logo embroidered on it) that I ordered a couple of weeks ago. I have to say, it's pretty cool.

Alex:

So, if Phoenix 'does a Moomaw' and somebody asks you why it happened, will you reply 'Yeah, but, no, but yeah, it was Tracy what done it?'.

Doug will explain!

QUOTE (Decepticon @ Mar 17 2006, 03:44 AM) *
I rather buy a Half decent model of the lander at a affordable price.

JPL had a marketing deal with the HotWheels people and produced rather nice little Pathfinder, Sojourner and Galileo vehicle sets. These sold well, so they decided to do a MCO, DS-2 and MPL set, too! Needless to say they were pulled from the distribution system after they all crashed and burned, but eBay is the way to find them. I have a nifty little MPL sitting in front of me right now, so if anyone asks where it ended up...

Bob Shaw
BruceMoomaw
QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 17 2006, 08:25 AM) *
Is that a precursor to a Bruce after-the-event-prediction that you knew it would crash all along?

Doug

No, just cynicism.
djellison
Go on - give us your Phoenix analysis before the event. Will it work or wont it work, and will you end up saying that whatever science it returns was far short of the intended goals and that everyone but yourself failed to figure that out before hand?

Doug
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Mar 17 2006, 08:51 AM) *
So, if Phoenix 'does a Moomaw' and somebody asks you why it happened, will you reply 'Yeah, but, no, but yeah, it was Tracy what done it?'.

Doug will explain!

OK, Bob, I'll await Doug's explanation. "Tracy" wouldn't by any chance be one of the Mars Lander Ladies pictured on the website (and noted by "the other Doug")?

Note for "the other Doug": I tried ordering one of the Mars Lander Ladies but marslandermall.com told me the one I selected was on back order tongue.gif
helvick
QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Mar 17 2006, 05:21 PM) *
OK, Bob, I'll await Doug's explanation. "Tracy" wouldn't by any chance be one of the Mars Lander Ladies pictured on the website (and noted by "the other Doug")?

The reference is to Vicky Pollard - an extremely awful teenage character from Little Britain. "Yeah but no but yeah" is how she starts most of her sentences. Since she is generally in trouble or having a major disagreement with someone the phrase is usually followed by a rapid fire delivery of a convoluted excuse as to why she is not actually at fault.

It's may not be everyone's type of humour particularly if you have a delicate constitution but I love it although its not a patch on "Shameless" IMO.
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (helvick @ Mar 17 2006, 06:13 PM) *
The reference is to Vicky Pollard - an extremely awful teenage character from Little Britain. "Yeah but no but yeah" is how she starts most of her sentences. Since she is generally in trouble or having a major disagreement with someone the phrase is usually followed by a rapid fire delivery of a convoluted excuse as to why she is not actual at fault.

Thanks, helvick. That's perfect!

Before your polite admonition to me in another thread to tone it down vis-à-vis Bruce, I was going to give him a new British-based nickname. Chastened as I was, I take your post above as an invitation, so I dub Bruce Sir Bubble and Squeak. This, as Doug and his fellow countrymen know, is a play on that delectable British dish biggrin.gif
BruceMoomaw
Maybe it was premature of me to suggest that Phoenix might fail. After all, Goldin is no longer around to try to fly it for a total cost somewhere in the high two figures.

Actually, I'm very much looking forward to it -- but not for the pictures. People seem to keep overlooking that (since Beagle got put to sleep) this will be the first honest-to-God exobiology space mission since the Vikings -- and it willl be looking for organics in a far more favorable environment.
helvick
QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Mar 17 2006, 10:16 PM) *
Actually, I'm very much looking forward to it -- but not for the pictures.

Likewise. Although the images should be pretty useful especially since we'll get MET data to go along with them. But it's the MECA and TEGA results that have the potential to make major discoveries.

Some interesting information from Suzanne Young of the MECA team on the potential for hydrazine contamination.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.