Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 'rock Satellite' Montage
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini general discussion and science results
jasedm
Long-time lurker on this forum, I thought it was time I posted something.
I bow to no-one in my admiration for what the Voyagers achieved in their brief flybys, but the advantages of an orbital tour are plain to see....
Best Voyager images of each moon are on the left of each pair, best Cassini image to date on the right.
The moons are: top L-R Atlas, Prometheus, Pandora, Epimetheus
bottom L-R Janus, Telesto, Calypso and Phoebe

Jase
paxdan
the image isn't displaying
jasedm
Oops, try again.......
jasedm
Sigh.... ignore last attachment, try this.....
SigurRosFan
One more try ...

Nice job, Jase.
Rob Pinnegar
Yeah, those are good choices... nice to have similar viewing angles for a lot of them, it makes the comparison easier.
ljk4-1
Is the moon in the upper left, Atlas, really that flat on one side?

Are we talking landing strip here?

Someone got quite the shearing in a collision, it would seem.
jasedm
I think Atlas IS relatively flat on one side - depending on viewing geometry, we'll get a chance to see on 12th June next year when Cassini passes by at 31,369km with a phase angle of 128 degrees. It's not yet been decided if it will be targeted for some images, but here's hoping.....
Phil Stooke
A nice montage... but your image of Prometheus from Cassini is actually Epimetheus.

Phil
volcanopele
Another way to put this would be to have them each to scale. In this montage, Telesto appears to be larger than Phoebe, and much larger than Pandora...
jasedm
Phil Stooke said: "but your image of prometheus from Cassini is actually epimetheus"

Damn! - I missed that - you're absolutely right. I'll amend and re-post at some stage.

If I'm right, as of now, the only moon which Cassini hasn't imaged at better resolution than either of the Voyagers, is Helene - which should get a closeup later this year.

Fantastic mission, all credit to those involved, and for the almost instant availability of images to the public. I've been looking forward to a return to Saturn since 1981 - can't wait for Iapetus in close-up and a polar view of the rings - hope the hydrazine holds out until well into 2010 for the extended mission!!
jasedm
Time for an update of this montage, following some juicy flybys of late. Not to scale, and the orientations are all over the place, but it shows the advantages of an orbital tour at Saturn. I would love to be able to undertake a similar exercise for the Uranian system in the next 30 years or so.....
Antdoghalo
blink.gif You forgot Pan the inner most moon of Saturn ph34r.gif wink.gif

And Helene a trojan of Dione is also missing
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.