Mannann'an composite 20-80-222m/pxl
Exploitcorporations
Mannann'an observations
Exploitcorporations
Callanish observations
Exploitcorporations
17ESRHIANN01
volcanopele
QUOTE (Exploitcorporations @ Jan 23 2006, 12:46 PM)
17ESRHIANN01 (37m/pxl):Click to view attachment

hmm, that's a pretty well preserved impact (when compared to Pwyll or Manannán. According to the USGS, Rhiannon is a relatively small impact crater, 16 km wide, compared to 45 and 30 km for Pwyll and Manannán respectively. I'm guessing Bob has a comment on what this would say about the thickness of the lithosphere wink.gif
Exploitcorporations
It appears that the areas surrounding these craters exhibit large-scale disruption and fracturing distinct from the sort of thing seen in the chaotic terrains. Has anyone done modeling of the predicted behavior of the lithosphere on a regional scale in response to impacts of this size?
hubdel11
Just amazing ; it's galileo raising from the death ! Never seen before, truely amazing !
Exploitcorporations
Here are the high-resolution observations of Cilix from E15. It's easy to see why this feature was misinterpreted as a knob in the early Voyager images.

15ESCILIX02

15ESCILIX01-02
tedstryk
QUOTE (Exploitcorporations @ Jan 23 2006, 07:32 PM)

Great job. It really is a shame Galileo had no WAC...the lack of medium resolution images for Callanish is astounding. Of course, it couldn't have transmitted many context images anyway.

Here is a false color super-resolution Voyager view I did a while back from some really crappy imagery.

Exploitcorporations
Mannann'an in approximate color. I had a rough time with this one, probably split 50-50 between positioning errors in my mosaic and the very oblique angle of the color data.

14ESCRATER01

14ESCRATER02 colorized
Exploitcorporations
Cilix in approximate color. The green filter frame is synthetic, as it seems to be mis-linked on the PDS site. The results are pretty close to the LPL version.

15ESCILIX01

Cilix in Color
vexgizmo
QUOTE (Exploitcorporations @ Feb 1 2006, 06:25 AM)
Cilix in approximate color. The green filter frame is synthetic, as it seems to be mis-linked on the PDS site.

Here is the green frame... (Image gaps were probably filled, but I don't have that version handy.)
ugordan
Exploitcorporations, that is some seriously awesome work! I hadn't imagined Galileo even returned this much data.
Why don't you create a gallery on a website somewhere showcasing your work?
I wonder if some of these mosaics could even find their way on the Planetary Society website or Views of the Solar System.
This stuff is really good, it made me look at Europa and Galileo in a whole different light.

Keep up the great work!
algorimancer
Mannann'an really intrigues me, there's some interesting stuff going on there (as seen in the post by ExploitCorporations http://conamera.byethost6.com/Exploitcorpo...ATER01_02w.jpg), That small feature in the center of the broader crater basin, with the radial cracks and more distal circumferential cracks ... I'm not sure whether to treat this as a crater within the larger crater basin, or perhaps the result of some subsequent internal activity, possibly a gas bubble discharge; I find it hard to believe that the small feature generated the larger crater basin. Oddly, I can find no papers referencing the high resolution images of Mannann'an crater, so this seems ripe for publication.
volcanopele
QUOTE (algorimancer @ Feb 1 2006, 10:45 AM)
Mannann'an really intrigues me, there's some interesting stuff going on there (as seen in the post by ExploitCorporations http://conamera.byethost6.com/Exploitcorpo...ATER01_02w.jpg), That small feature in the center of the broader crater basin, with the radial cracks and more distal circumferential cracks ... I'm not sure whether to treat this as a crater within the larger crater basin, or perhaps the result of some subsequent internal activity, possibly a gas bubble discharge; I find it hard to believe that the small feature generated the larger crater basin.  Oddly, I can find no papers referencing the high resolution images of Mannann'an crater, so this seems ripe for publication.

Whew, I'm not the only puzzled by that part of Mannann'an. I'm not sure what to make of it other than perhaps a collapse pit (like the central pits in some Ganymedan craters).
Decepticon
It looks like the the object that impacted the surface did not punch threw!
JRehling
QUOTE (volcanopele @ Feb 1 2006, 01:57 PM)
Whew, I'm not the only puzzled by that part of Mannann'an.  I'm not sure what to make of it other than perhaps a collapse pit (like the central pits in some Ganymedan craters).

Just a stab in the dark, but supposing that crustal thickness varied over various epochs in Europa's history as orbital evolution changed the tidal heat input. A crater with a central peak could be formed at T1, with the rim and peak supported by the crust at that time. Later, the crust thins out until very suddenly the peak collapses downwards.

Or, maybe Moe was trying to hit Larry with a lead pipe, and Larry ducked so that Moe hit Europa.
vexgizmo
QUOTE (algorimancer @ Feb 1 2006, 10:45 AM)
Oddly, I can find no papers referencing the high resolution images of Mannann'an crater, so this seems ripe for publication.

Moore, J. M., E. Asphaug, M. J. S. Belton, B. Bierhaus, H. Herbert Breneman, C. R. Chapman, F. Chuang, G. C. Collins, B. Giese, R. Greeley, J. W. Head III, S. Kadel, K. P. Klaasen, J. E. Klemaszewski, K. P. McGee, J. Moreau, D. Morrison, G. Neukum, R. T. Pappalardo, C. B. Phillips, P. M. Schenk, D. A. Senske, R. J. Sullivan, E. P. Turtle, and K. K. Williams, Impact features on Europa: Results of the Galileo Europa Mission, Icarus, 151, 93-111, 2001.

See pages 99-103 for initial results, but there is certainly more to do!
algorimancer
QUOTE (vexgizmo @ Feb 2 2006, 02:09 AM)
Moore, J. M., E. Asphaug, M. J. S. Belton, B. Bierhaus, H. Herbert Breneman, C. R. Chapman, F. Chuang, G. C. Collins, B. Giese, R. Greeley, J. W. Head III, S. Kadel, K. P. Klaasen, J. E. Klemaszewski, K. P. McGee, J. Moreau, D. Morrison, G. Neukum, R. T. Pappalardo, C. B. Phillips, P. M. Schenk, D. A. Senske, R. J. Sullivan, E. P. Turtle, and  K. K. Williams, Impact features on Europa: Results of the Galileo Europa Mission, Icarus, 151, 93-111, 2001.

See pages 99-103 for initial results, but there is certainly more to do!

I stand corrected smile.gif I don't agree 100% with their conclusions, but overall they've done a good job of analysis.
JRehling
QUOTE (algorimancer @ Feb 2 2006, 06:06 AM)
I stand corrected smile.gif  I don't agree 100% with their conclusions, but overall they've done a good job of analysis.

So you know, vexgizmo is one of the "they" wink.gif
Exploitcorporations
The high-resolution mosaic of Tyre is one of my favorite Galileo images (minus the ugly gap right in the middle of the basin). Although this was a rare example of a mosaic released in its entirety by NASA/JPL, I'm posting my take on it anyway, along with a new colorized version from the G7 data.

14ESTYREHR01

Tyre in color
Decepticon
That white fault line seems to be the youngest feature in this image.
ljk4-1
QUOTE (Decepticon @ Feb 5 2006, 07:50 AM)
That white fault line seems to be the youngest feature in this image.

Have exogeologists been able to judge the age of Europa's ice crust by figuring out how long it would take an impact crater such as this latest one presented to deform into the shape it has, taking into effect the moon's average surface temperatures, the amount of pull it gets from Jupiter and the other Galilean moons, and how that type of ice is affected out there?

Can they also tell how thick the crust is from such formations?
algorimancer
QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Feb 5 2006, 12:12 PM)
Have exogeologists been able to judge the age of Europa's ice crust by figuring out how long it would take an impact crater such as this latest one presented to deform into the shape it has, taking into effect the moon's average surface temperatures, the amount of pull it gets from Jupiter and the other Galilean moons, and how that type of ice is affected out there? 

Can they also tell how thick the crust is from such formations?

I've certainly seen modeling in that direction, however it turns out that there are a lot of unknowns which get in the way of that sort of detail. The viscosity of the ice is going to vary with the ice shell thickness as a function of latitude and possibly longitude, as well as the weakly constrained internal heat from radioactive decay and tidal dissipation. Add-in the mobility of the ice shell, and I think it would be very difficult to get a good time frame based upon topography. Now if we could get an orbiter for global hires imaging plus radar sounding, plus drop a few landers to directly measure some surface properties, we may eventually be in a position to unravel the history in quite a lot of detail. Tell your congressman smile.gif
vexgizmo
QUOTE (Exploitcorporations @ Feb 5 2006, 04:24 AM)
The high-resolution mosaic of Tyre is one of my favorite Galileo images (minus the ugly gap right in the middle of the basin).

Beautiful! Are you able to do a reprojection that retains the true near-circular shape of Tyre? BTW, the ugly gaps (here, and also in the E14 Wedges mosaic) were related to degradation of the Galileo gyros, which led to poor scan platform pointing.

-
-Bob P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.