Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Books About The Voyager Missions
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Conferences and Broadcasts
PhilCo126
Does anybody have:
" VOYAGER TALES " by David W Swift
Just curious to know if it has many photos of the scientists involved in the project

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/15634...01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
wink.gif
tfisher
This book is available (in somewhat crippled form due to copyright concerns) on books.google.com. You can read through the index and find out where photographs are present, and usually by searching for the appropriate name you can obtain the page in question. You may have to register with google if you haven't already.

Here's a sample of what you get:
Click to view attachment
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Jan 5 2006, 09:24 PM)
Does anybody have:
" VOYAGER TALES " by David W Swift
Just curious to know if it has many photos of the scientists involved in the project...
I own a copy, though my version doesn't have photos. I think my version is an early print as one of the sections (Arden Albee) has some pages printed in incorrect sequence. On the other hand, I do believe that there are versions with B/W photos of the the "interviewees" at the beginning of their respective chapters. But don't quote me on that because I'm not sure.

As I noted in another thread, I believe the book is the best oral history of the project. And there are some interesting tidbits. For instance, the leading up to and immediately after launch when a couple of project managers were "fired." And, if memory serves, Charles Kohlhase recalled that, with a slight tweak to the flyby trajectory at Neptune, Voyager 2 could have been targeted to pass within one light year of Sirius at some point in the distant future. Etc.

Believe it or not, I picked the book up for a pittance at a used bookstore smile.gif
PhilCo126
Thanks for the replies!
I might soon start a weblog with books on Unmanned spaceflight
Meanwhile I've posted some Mars-literature at:
http://mars-literature.skynetblogs.be/

smile.gif
Bob Shaw
To my mind, the *classic* book on the (general) subject has to be 'Exploration of the Moon by Unmanned Spacecraft' by Zdenek Kopal, published in 1967. It's full of great stuff about Lunar Orbiter and Surveyor. I bought it when it came out in the Pelican edition, and between it and Carl Sagan and I S Shlkovsky's 'Intelligent Life in the Universe' my fate was sealed.

Bob Shaw
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.