Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cassini 3rd Pds Release
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini general discussion and science results
ugordan
From the looks of things, 2 additional DVDs are available on the PDS, though the links aren't up yet.
They can be accessed here:
COISS_2009
COISS_2010

Data includes 2 flybys of Titan, 2 of Enceladus as well as some NTs of Rhea, Mimas, Enceladus etc.
volcanopele
AND VIMS and RADAR!!

Fun with Enceladus VIMS coming soon...
volcanopele
Here are two VIMS views from T3. The left image in both is the VIMS image blown up from 64x64 to 256x256. The right images are Sum2 ISS WAC images taken at approximately the same time as the VIMS images (blue outline marks the location of the VIMS image). The first image uses VIMS image v1487140595_1 (band 2.03 microns) and ISS image W1487140579_1. The original VIMS image had a pixel scale of ~6.87 km/pixel and the WAC image has a pixel scale of 1.71 km/pixel. The second image uses VIMS iamge v1487140810_1 (band 2.03 microns) and ISS image W1487140775_1. The original VIMS image had a pixel scale of ~6.28 km/pixel and the WAC image has a pixel scale of 1.59 km/pixel.

Both image show are region of northern Xanadu (in kinda the "neck" region). Numerous dark spots can be seen in this area.
ugordan
QUOTE (volcanopele @ Jan 3 2006, 08:49 PM)
Here are two VIMS views from T3.

What amazes me is the utter lack of any releases like this by the VIMS team. It's as though they aren't doing any science at all!
ugordan
We already know Enceladus' plumes were detected back even in the february images. I was wondering if the plumes could be detected in the even earlier, less favorable January 16 image set. The following are two views, the left is a natural color composite and the right the result of stacking 6 frames and greatly enhanced. It's clear that a plume is faintly visible even in this sequence.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
volcanopele
Here is an image of Enceladus from EN004, v1489050584_1. This image has a resolution of 4.6 km/pixel. for this false color view I used 1.985 microns for red, 1.574 microns for green, and 1.343 microns for blue (red and green are in the middle of water ice absorption bands). This image is similar to http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA07459.
volcanopele
QUOTE (ugordan @ Jan 3 2006, 01:32 PM)
We already know Enceladus' plumes were detected back even in the february images. I was wondering if the plumes could be detected in the even earlier, less favorable January 16 image set. The following are two views, the left is a natural color composite and the right the result of stacking 6 frames and greatly enhanced. It's clear that a plume is faintly visible even in this sequence.

Yep sure is:

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA07760
ugordan
QUOTE (volcanopele @ Jan 3 2006, 09:33 PM)

Ahh, for some reason, I though that particular frame was from the february sequence. This frame in particular:
Click to view attachment
Darn it, guess it's back to the drawing board...

BTW, what software are you using for the VIMS cubes? ISIS?
volcanopele
I'm using ISIS. Works just fine by changing the file extension to .cub smile.gif Unfortunately, I can't even begin to figure out VIMS calibration, so I will only be using VIMS for recreational purposes...
tedstryk
QUOTE (volcanopele @ Jan 3 2006, 08:32 PM)
Here is an image of Enceladus from EN004, v1489050584_1.  This image has a resolution of 4.6 km/pixel.  for this false color view I used 1.985 microns for red, 1.574 microns for green, and 1.343 microns for blue (red and green are in the middle of water ice absorption bands).  This image is similar to http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA07459.

Someone should overlay that image over some ISS data...it would be great! If I had a functioning computer with image processing software, I would do it myself. Unfortunately, I have been informed that there is obvious burning in my crashed drive, and the only chance of any data recovery is to take it apart in a clean room. Ughhh....
elakdawalla
QUOTE (volcanopele @ Jan 3 2006, 12:46 PM)
I'm using ISIS.  Works just fine by changing the file extension to .cub smile.gif  Unfortunately, I can't even begin to figure out VIMS calibration, so I will only be using VIMS for recreational purposes...

I would KILL for a version of ISIS that would work on Windows..

Or at least maim...

--Emily
djellison
I agree Emily, ISIS for Win would be good, but in the mean time I've had luck using the 'Gimp' and a PDS plugin for it....it's worked for Themis files.

Gimp for Windows http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/
PDS Plugin http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=445

But so far, it just makes pds.exe ( the plugin ) crash with VIMS cubes sad.gif

Doug
Decepticon
Any Radar in there?
Bjorn Jonsson
There are *lots* of interesting images in this release, including two very close Enceladus flybys plus one nontargeted and images from nontargeted flybys of Rhea and Mimas plus Titan flybys and interesting images of Saturns and the rings.

What's frustrating is that a problem involving the viewing geometry information in the index.tab files has not been fixed: There's no 'direct' information on the direction of north in the images - there should be a label called NORTH_AZIMUTH, TARGET_NORTH_CLOCK_ANGLE or something like that IMHO. This problem was discussed in a different thread last October:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...topic=980&st=50

Hopefully someone with knowledge of this is lurking here wink.gif.

I should be able to determine the north direction using SPICE kernels (or possibly calculate it from other labels in index.tab) but I still find this a bit frustrating because determining the direction of north shouldn't be this complicated IMHO wink.gif.
scalbers
That's pretty cool about a PDS plug-in for the GIMP. Perhaps that could provide me a simple way to read in such images from a Linux (SUSE) platform?
jmknapp
QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Jan 7 2006, 05:21 PM)
There are *lots* of interesting images in this release, including two very close Enceladus flybys plus one nontargeted...

No good shots of the tiger stripes as far as I can tell. I guess those are in the July set, due to go to PDS in a few months?
elakdawalla
I'm looking into the INDEX.LBL files for these PDS releases and I have a question. Many of the labels refer to an "IOI file." For example, "TARGET_DESC" is described thusly: "The name of the intended target for which the exposure was calculated/selected in the given image. May include calibration type information. Limited to 75 characters. (Comes from the TARGET_DESC keyword in the IOI file.)" What is the IOI file and does it reside on the COISS discs somewhere?

--Emily
pat
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 8 2006, 05:38 PM)
I'm looking into the INDEX.LBL files for these PDS releases and I have a question.  Many of the labels refer to an "IOI file."  For example, "TARGET_DESC" is described thusly: "The name of the intended target for which the exposure was calculated/selected in the given image. May include calibration type information. Limited to 75 characters. (Comes from the TARGET_DESC keyword in the IOI file.)"  What is the IOI file and does it reside on the COISS discs somewhere?

--Emily

An IOI is an "Instrument Operations Interface" file. It is the file that the instrument team produces that actually controls the instrument for an observation e.g. for ISS, open shutter at time x, use filters y,z, exposure duration is ddd milliseconds, set gain state to sss etc (one set of instructions for each image, a single IOI can contain detailed instructions for hundreds of images). The IOI is then processed into the low level commands that are sent to the spacecraft.

The IOI file is basically the instructions for the observation. There is no requirement to archive the IOI files so they are not sent to the PDS. I've attached a basic example of the relevant section of an ioi for a single imageClick to view attachment

The IOI file contains alot of useful information, nearly all of which then goes into the image labels which are archived. What it does do is explicitly show what the observation was INTENDED to be, how many images, what spacing etc. The IOI file also contains metadata, information that never makes it into the image labels. Very often this metadata includes a very detailed description of the observation, what its intended for, why certain values were chosen etc.
Bjorn Jonsson
I have now taken a look at every PDS released Cassini image of the Saturn system obtained since Cassini started its regular observations of Saturn in February 2004.

This is a lot of images so to help myself remember where to find interesting stuff I created a table of what I found interesting. This (hopefully) includes all of the targeted and nontargeted satellite flybys plus what I found interesting and/or visually beautiful.

It seemed this might be useful not just for me so I decided to upload the table to my website:

http://www.mmedia.is/bjj/misc/css_stuff/im...s_overview.html

If there are any errors in the table or if I omitted something obviously interesting I'd like to know.
elakdawalla
QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Jan 27 2006, 03:03 PM)
It seemed this might be useful not just for me so I decided to upload the table to my website:

This is extremely useful indeed! Thank you very much for sharing it.

--Emily
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Jan 27 2006, 11:03 PM)
I have now taken a look at every PDS released Cassini image of the Saturn system obtained since Cassini started its regular observations of Saturn in February 2004.

This is a lot of images so to help myself remember where to find interesting stuff I created a table of what I found interesting. This (hopefully) includes all of the targeted and nontargeted satellite flyby plus what I found interesting and/or visually beautiful.

Bjorn, I have to echo what Emily said: Thanks for the effort. And now I know what you've been up to lately tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.