Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Navcam Image - Artifact?
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Shaka
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...KCP2731R0M1.JPG

Would one of our folks-in-the-know give a quick and simple explanation of this 'halo' effect in this night sky (?) image. I assume it's an artifact of the camera rather than something we need to write the Pope about wink.gif
Thanx

On another matter, we must have by now at least a dozen full panoramas from this same spot near Erebus. Do they actually serve some scientific purpose or are they just killing time while we unstick the arm? Were they taken at a range of different sun angles? Has anyone been comparing them?
Toma B
QUOTE (Shaka @ Dec 30 2005, 11:12 PM)

Would one of our folks-in-the-know give a quick and simple explanation of this 'halo' effect in this night sky (?) image.  I assume it's an artifact of the camera rather than something we need to write the Pope about  wink.gif
Thanx

This could not be it right? huh.gif blink.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
QUOTE (Shaka @ Dec 30 2005, 11:12 PM)
On another matter, we must have by now at least a dozen full panoramas from this same spot near Erebus.  Do they actually serve some scientific purpose or are they just  killing time...

Killing time...killing time...killing time...how long has it been so far 40 days or what? mad.gif sad.gif
djellison
QUOTE (Shaka @ Dec 30 2005, 08:12 PM)

Would one of our folks-in-the-know give a quick and simple explanation of this 'halo' effect in this night sky (?) image.  I assume it's an artifact of the camera rather than something we need to write the Pope about  wink.gif
Thanx

On another matter, we must have by now at least a dozen full panoramas from this same spot near Erebus.  Do they actually serve some scientific purpose or are they just  killing time while we unstick the arm?  Were they taken at a range of different sun angles?  Has anyone been comparing them?

That Halo is due to the extreme stretching of the images when they get put online, without being flat-fielded.

And the different panoramas have done lots of things. THe First, a normal L257R2 is just colour + stereo. the L246 is for Photometry and the L1 is photometry to compare with Orbital imagery. The R457 (I think) is near Infra Red for geology.

The Photometry ones are done multiple times at different times of day to establish the properties of the ground.

They're actually done, I think, 2 full pancam pans ( Colour and Geology ) - several colums for colour photometry, and a couple of single frame high pans with L1 for orbital photometry.

Doug
Shaka
QUOTE (djellison @ Dec 30 2005, 10:43 AM)
That Halo is due to the extreme stretching of the images when they get put online, without being flat-fielded.

And the different panoramas have done lots of things. THe First, a normal L257R2 is just colour + stereo.  the L246 is for Photometry and the L1 is photometry to compare with Orbital imagery.  The R457 (I think) is near Infra Red for geology.

The Photometry ones are done multiple times at different times of day to establish the properties of the ground.

They're actually done, I think, 2 full pancam pans ( Colour and Geology ) - several colums for colour photometry, and a couple of single frame high pans with L1 for orbital photometry.

Doug

Thanks for all that! I don't really know enough about imagery to understand the explanation for the 'halo', but I'll just trust you guys to let me know if I need to prepare myself for the Second Coming. blink.gif

It's great to know that Oppy's 'dicky elbow' might prove to be a boon to Mars science. I just hope someone eventually posts a summary of what was learned during the sojourn at Purgatory II, preferably with annotated pan comparisons.
(It's just that we haven't even reached Erebus yet and I'm worried that we might have worn out our welcome! cool.gif )

wheel.gif Onward, Fearless Opster! wheel.gif
alan
pancam_Erebus_col_1_2_L346R346

When they finish they will have a full panorama through all 14 filters
CosmicRocker
I'm not sure, but I'm still working on my ultra-mojo, top secret, black box, destretching and deconvolution of that image, and it is looking more and more like the pic Toma B posted. Hmm, I wonder what would happen if I apply the one-eyed anaglypgh algorithm...OMG! ohmy.gif

"Onward, Fearless Opster!"

Shaka: I like that name. smile.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif It somehow sounds more appropriate than "Oppy," which is another nickname some of us have used for this rover. But yes, The Opster has been fearless, as has been her sister. They have both been pretty darn lucky, too.

Doug: I haven't noticed very many L1s in the past, but we've seen a whole pan of them here. I think L1 is the empty filter position. They do provide a unique view, but could you comment further on their value for comparison to orbital images?

alan: Do you have any idea of how many locations the Opster has taken complete pans through all of the filters, or lack of a filter? It can't be many.
alan
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Dec 30 2005, 11:42 PM)
alan:  Do you have any idea of how many locations the Opster has taken complete pans through all of the filters, or lack of a filter?  It can't be many.

I'm quite certain this is the only one done through all the filters. I don't expect to see it done again while the Opster is still able to drive.
There was a 1 x 27 L1 pan done fairly recently, on sol 620.
djellison
The L1 is sans filter, and gives a chance to compare surface properties when comapred to sans-filter (i think) MOC etc.

Doug
CosmicRocker
Thanks guys. smile.gif

Gee whiz, as we wrap up this amazing year 2005 here on earth, I'll go to sleep wondering how many of the repeatedly-imaged wonders at this location will be studied after the arm stowage problem is resolved, but before the urge to move on takes precedence. I'd sure like to see some MIs of the apparently mineralized patches, with accompanying APXS and Moessbauer integrations. Then, I'd like to see the same at that pile of dark, decrepit rock nearby. Followed, of course, by a proper study of the stratigraphy at the real rim. That's quite a lot of work.

The route to Victoria south of Erebus doesn't look like a romp through a rose garden. Should we expect that the Opster team will want to make a run for Vickie while the sunlight is good, or stop and smell the roses?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.