Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Desert Planet Discs
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
SkyeLab
Folks,

Imagine you are to be a castaway on the Planet Mars and are allowed to take with you eight pieces of music, one book and one luxury item.

See the following for more on the concept from the BBC website : http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/desertislanddiscs.shtml

My choices are as follows:

Music
1. Whole of the Moon (the Waterboys)
2. Teenage Kicks (The Undertones)
3. The one I love (REM)
4. Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me) Cockney Rebel
5. Bohemian Like You (Dandy Worhols)
6. Yellow (Coldplay)
7. Creep (Radiohead)
8. Vienna (Ultravox)
9. Book: Complete works of Robert Burns
10. Luxury Item: Golf clubs (and balls of course)

I can just imagine trying to land a golf ball on Home Plate from where Spirit is now (I reckon a 7 iron ought to do it)

Who wants to be next with their list?

Cheers

Brian
Toma B
Beautiful topic SkyeLab

For that 8 - records (CD's) my choice is:
Vangelis - Antarctica
REM – Loosing My Religion
Beethoven - 9th Symphony
Sade – No Ordinary Love
ABBA – I Had I Dream
Annie Lennox – Why
Metallica – Nothing Else Matters
Vangelis - Chariots Of Fire

Book:
One book of my national poetry...including poem: Santa Maria della Salute - Laza Kostic... you can Google for it...if you are interested...

...and finally that luxury item would be my "Orion" 4.5" short Tube Newton Reflector telescope...I would love to watch Earth, Jupiter, Saturn and everything else from good dark place with no electric lights on the hole planet... smile.gif
Of course if I would have a choice on that luxury item I would carry a MEADE 16" LX200 Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope which I unfortunately don’t have yet... sad.gif this one:

Click to view attachment
SkyeLab
Great Choices Toma!

I wouldnt mind having a go at the telescope (you can have a go at hitting homeplate with the 7 iron in return if you like)

wink.gif
djellison
Hmm...

1) Lamb-Gorecki
2) Riot Act - California Soul
3) Coldplay - The scientist
4) Faure - Requiem
5) Zero 7 - Destiny
6) Dido - All You Want
7) Into the Red ( Nick Mason ) - Tyrrell 011 ( if someone made a recording of an FF1600 from the pitlane at Castle Combe, I'd have that instead)
8) Oasis - Champaigne Supernova
Book ) Sir Ranulph Fiennes 'Beyond the Limits' OR Bill Hartmann's Travellers Guide to Mars
Luxury ) This is a hard one. You know, I think I'd take Golf Clubs as well actually. Or perhaps my Camera.
ljk4-1
QUOTE (Toma B @ Dec 16 2005, 07:20 AM)
Beautiful topic SkyeLab

...and finally that luxury item would be my "Orion" 4.5" short Tube Newton Reflector telescope...I would love to watch Earth, Jupiter, Saturn and everything else from good dark place with no electric lights on the hole planet... smile.gif
Of course if I would have a choice on that luxury item I would carry a MEADE 16" LX200 Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope which I unfortunately don’t have yet... sad.gif this one:

Click to view attachment

Doesn't everyone wear a light blue lab coat when observing? cool.gif

I miss the Sky & Telescope telescope ads from the 1970s and 1980s when they would have an attractive woman of the type who would normally never even get near a telescope pose at the instrument like it's the most wonderful thing in the world. PCness seems to have removed that promotional tactic.
odave
Hmmmm....

1) Altan - Island Angel
2) The Who - Quadrophenia
3) Nanci Griffith - One Fair Summer Evening
4) Jeff Buckley - Grace
5) Gipsy Kings - Cantos de Amor
6) The Commitments movie soundtrack
7) Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience
8) Vivaldi - The Four Seasons

Book) Tough one - probably The Riverside Shakespeare.

Luxury) I'd have to go with a telescope too. It would be amazingly dark there, but you'd have to have battle the dust.
MahFL
1. Being With You - Smokey Robinson.
2. Bohemien Rhapsody - Queen.
3. Out Of My Head - Kylie Minogue.
4. A Hard Days Night - The Beatles.
5. House of The Rising Sun - The Animals.
6. Tainted Love - Soft Cell.
7. Like A Virgin - Madonna.
8. It Ain't What You Do, It's the Way You Do It - Bananarama.

Book - War and Peace.

Luxury Item - Single Malt Scotch, where is Robbie the Robot when you need him smile.gif

pancam.gif
dvandorn
QUOTE (MahFL @ Dec 16 2005, 09:56 AM)
Luxury Item - Single Malt Scotch, where is Robbie the Robot when you need him smile.gif

"...alcohol compounds with a trace of fusile oil..."

-the other Doug
ustrax
From the Cantos de Santa Maria to Wagner, from the Stone Roses to Bowie, from Anthems to Placebo, from Joy Division to Amália Rodrigues, from Carlos Paredes (mama!) to Orff, from Sigur Rós to Rammstein, from Mozart to Gallandum Galandaina, from Zeca Afonso to Jeff Buckley (odave...you got me on that one...), from Led Zeppelin to Stevie Nicks' Landslide, from I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane to One to battery passing by the Master of Puppets, from Franz Ferdinand to the 9th Symphony, from the Sétima Legião' Sete Mares to the Mystére de Voix Bulgares, from Madredeus to Bob Dylan's Hurricane, from Cohen's Manhattan to the El Condor que Pasa, from me to you, from you to me...
One sound: Mankind...
Now...There is a song following me this days...Square One, Coldplay...
A song for this forum? Space Odissey...No doubt about it...

Now that I'm listening to the sound of space...we shall be there!
Hell! We're already there! smile.gif
Among El Dorado's granules!
ustrax
QUOTE (ustrax @ Jan 3 2006, 12:37 AM)
From the Cantos de Santa Maria to Wagner, from the Stone Roses to Bowie, from Anthems to Placebo, from Joy Division to Amália Rodrigues, from Carlos Paredes (mama!) to Orff, from Sigur Rós to Rammstein, from Mozart to Gallandum Galandaina, from Zeca Afonso to Jeff Buckley (odave...you got me on that one...), from Led Zeppelin to Stevie Nicks' Landslide, from I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane to One to battery passing by the Master of Puppets, from Franz Ferdinand to the 9th Symphony, from the Sétima Legião' Sete Mares to the Mystére de Voix Bulgares, from Madredeus to Bob Dylan's Hurricane, from Cohen's Manhattan to the El Condor que Pasa, from me to you, from you to me...
One sound: Mankind...
Now...There is a song following me this days...Square One, Coldplay...
A song for this forum? Space Odissey...No doubt about it...

Now that I'm listening to the sound of space...we shall be there!
Hell! We're already there! smile.gif
Among El Dorado's granules!
ustrax
QUOTE (ustrax @ Jan 3 2006, 12:42 AM)

blink.gif SMASHING PUMKINS! blink.gif
ljk4-1
Though I don't have the 2001: A Space Odyssey novel handy at the moment (anyone know if it is online somewhere?), when AC Clarke was describing what kind of music David Bowman liked to listen to during his lonely trek to Saturn (this is of course after HAL 9000 kills Frank Poole - or so we thought; see 3001: The Final Odyssey - and the three hibernating astronauts and Bowman gives HAL a cybernetic lobotomy) he found in the end he could only take Bach all the time (or was it Beethoven?). Can someone help my failing memory here?

Note there are 3 Bach pieces and 2 Beethovens on the Voyager Interstellar Record:

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/spacecraft/music.html
Bob Shaw
Might I suggest any (or all) of the output of Wendy (or Walter) Carlos?

And as for Mr Glass...

Bob Shaw
ustrax
QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Jan 3 2006, 01:16 AM)
Though I don't have the 2001: A Space Odyssey novel handy at the moment (anyone know if it is online somewhere?), when AC Clarke was describing what kind of music David Bowman liked to listen to during his lonely trek to Saturn (this is of course after HAL 9000 kills Frank Poole - or so we thought; see 3001: The Final Odyssey - and the three hibernating astronauts and Bowman gives HAL a cybernetic lobotomy) he found in the end he could only take Bach all the time (or was it Beethoven?).  Can someone help my failing memory here?

Note there are 3 Bach pieces and 2 Beethovens on the Voyager Interstellar Record:

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/spacecraft/music.html

When I wrote Space Odissey, what I meant to say was Bowie's Space Oddity...
About 2001...

http://kubrickfilms.warnerbros.com/faq/2001_faq.html

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...product-details
hugh
QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Jan 3 2006, 01:16 AM)
AC Clarke was describing what kind of music David Bowman liked to listen to during his lonely trek to Saturn - he found in the end he could only take Bach all the time (or was it Beethoven?).  Can someone help my failing memory here?

Yes, it was Bach- “above all, nothing with human voices”.

Apart from Wendy Carlos-which Bob Shaw already suggested- I think these would help pass the time:

1. Blues from Orbit-Duke Ellington: Ellington was very interested in space exploration, this album was recorded in 1958, not long after Sputnik.
2. Space is the Place- Sun Ra : Hard to find this, but Sun Ra was another space nut jazz bandleader.
3. Hank Williams Greatest Hits:- Pete Conrad listened to this on his way to the moon. It sounds pretty good in your car, too.
4. Bach- Toccata and Fugue in D minor Another Arthur C Clarke story, the title of which escapes me, ended with the last survivor of a disastrous Mars mission listening to this as he walks across the Martian landscape to his doom...
5. Jimi Hendrix—Box Set, features "Third Stone from the Sun"
6. Elvis Presley- Sun Sessions
7. Rolling Stones-Exile on Main Street
8. Charlie Parker-Yardbird Suite
9. Book: Anthony Burgess-Time for a Tiger
10. Luxury Item: 1952 Fender Telecaster, with a ‘60s Fender Vibrolux amp .
Bob Shaw
Hugh:

I remember well the first time I walked down Electric Avenue - gave me quite a turn it did!

And Sun Ra, certainly, silly ol' fule that he was!

Bob Shaw
hugh
Bob, good to see at least one other person listening to some jazz out there.
BTW I think that AC Clarke short story was called “Johann Sebastian Bach Here I come”
ljk4-1
Here is some real classic space music to take along:

http://www.ele-mental.org/%7Eecc/exo/exotica/osearticle.html

Love the album covers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.