Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ring Shadow Details
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini general discussion and science results
SigurRosFan
PIA07650: Movement in the Shadows

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA07650

10/29/05:
lyford
WOW - um - er - uh - just - wow!
antoniseb
QUOTE (SigurRosFan @ Dec 12 2005, 09:41 AM)
PIA07650: Movement in the Shadows

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA07650

10/29/05:

I had thought that the ring shadows would make for some serious weather on Saturn, and this picture seems to do a great job of showing just that. Thanks!
remcook
the two are not necesarily related. but they do make a pretty picture though
Rob Pinnegar
QUOTE (remcook @ Dec 13 2005, 03:37 PM)
the two are not necesarily related. but they do make a pretty picture though

I don't know about that -- intuitively, one would expect the ring shadows to have a pretty large effect on Saturn's weather, especially in the upper parts of the atmosphere where internal heat sources are likely less important.

In particular, the latitudes shadowed by the B Ring should get basically no sunlight at all for long periods. That's got to have some effect.
RNeuhaus
The visibility features of atmosphere such as it reveals small, bright and puffy clouds with long filamentary streamers that are reminiscent of the anvil-shaped Earthly cirrus clouds that extend downwind of thunderstorms. Dark ring shadows hang over the scene while the planet rotates beneath.

That means that the rings are semi-transparent so Cassini spacecraft is able to see the atmosphere features thru the rings.

Rodolfo
dilo
Tried to improve clouds visibility of this amazing image in both illuminated and shadowed portions (latter is negative due to solarization):
Click to view attachment
Moreover, I enhanced the shadowed clouds in order to make more evident their 3-dimensional structure...
Tman
Hi dilo, in fact the colorized Saturn looks now more 3-dimensional to me - even more than your second - very nice!
dilo
Same technique used for this just released image:
Tman
Hey, it's a most beautiful colored crystal ball blink.gif biggrin.gif
dilo
QUOTE (Tman @ Dec 14 2005, 10:35 PM)
Hey, it's a most beautiful colored crystal ball blink.gif  biggrin.gif

Even if final result is something psichedelic, I can assure you that my major intention was to make more visible faint contrast details... wink.gif
Airbag
QUOTE (dilo @ Dec 14 2005, 06:29 PM)
Same technique used for this just released image:

That reminded me right away of ELO's "Out of the Blue". cool.gif

Airbag
dvandorn
QUOTE (dilo @ Dec 14 2005, 05:26 PM)
Even if final result is something psichedelic, I can assure you that my major intention was to make more visible faint contrast details...  wink.gif

Yeah, but... like, wow, man!

biggrin.gif

-the other Doug
Bill Harris
and... uh... like, groovy, too. Ya know?

--Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.