Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Birthsol!
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
dilo
Hoping in a fast recovery from arm issues, here a mosaic made with AndreaMosaic software.
Starting image (Oppy shadow inside endurance) was suggested by Malgar... enjoy!
PS: Doug, do you want to sent to JPL too?
dot.dk
Wow!

That is awesome Dilo! ohmy.gif

Only nitpcicking is that holidays is spelled wrong and maybe the effects on the text in general is a bit overdone, at least to my taste. smile.gif

But the mosaic is outstanding!! biggrin.gif
dilo
Thanks for suggestions, dot.dk.
This version should be better:
mars loon
QUOTE (dilo @ Dec 11 2005, 08:40 PM)
Thanks for suggestions, dot.dk.
This version should be better:

One of my top 10 favorites turned into beautiful art by Dilo
mars loon
New JPL Birthsol Special-Effects Image of Opportunity smile.gif

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/spe...ts/opportunity/

12-Dec-2005

Opportunity on an area inside Endurance Crater

This synthetic image of the Opportunity Mars Exploration Rover inside Endurance Crater was produced using "Virtual Presence in Space" technology. Developed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., this technology combines visualization and image-processing tools with Hollywood-style special effects. The image was created using a photorealistic model of the rover and a false-color mosaic taken on sol 134 (June 9, 2004) by Opportunity's panoramic camera with the 750-, 530- and 430-nanometer filters; see PIA06317. The size of the rover in the image is approximately correct and was based on the size of the rover tracks in the mosaic.

Because this synthesis provides viewers with a sense of their own "virtual presence" (as if they were there themselves), such views can be useful to mission teams in planning exploration by enhancing perspective and a sense of scale.

Image Note: Rover model by Dan Maas, synthetic image by Zareh Gorjian, Koji Kuramura, Mike Stetson and Eric M. De Jong.

Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Cornell
Airbag
Thanks for that link Mars Loon; really nice to see Opportunity in the context of all those layered rocks. And I like the dust (e.g. on the HGA) on the virtual Opportunity too.

One thing seems odd to me though - I thought those "blueberries" were rather small (approx a couple of mm across) but on this image they appear much larger - yet I assume that JPL has their relative scales correct...hmm...

Airbag
Bill Harris
Wonderful BirthSol image!

And the VR image is great, too. I'd suggest two "tweaks", though: the HGA is usually stowed with the dish vertical, the LGA is aluminum-colored.

One thing I've noticed is that the blueberry size distribution has become bimodal: there are many blueberries smaller than the previous mean, there are a lot of blueberries larger in size. You recall that the blueberries apparently disappeared form the weathered rock surfaces at the "Four Lane" outcrop. I've not measured anything, this is just an on-the-fly observation.

Another couple of puzzle pieces glinting at us on the table...

--Bill
mars loon
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Dec 13 2005, 05:14 AM)
Wonderful BirthSol image! 

And the VR image is great, too. 
--Bill

She looks eerily like a living martian creature !!!

contemplating, Whats next ?
djellison
Wooyay for the Birthday card, it gets more airtime smile.gif

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/mer/fligh...14-Jones-cc.mov

Doug
dot.dk
More Special effects images just showed up smile.gif
http://marsrover.nasa.gov/gallery/specialE...nity/index.html

dilo
I like especially burn cliff image, very realistic!
Here a crop of it, with extended sky and slight color modification (I know official image should be well calibrated, but I don't like the green dominance...).
mars loon
QUOTE (dilo @ Dec 17 2005, 12:29 PM)
I like especially burn cliff image, very realistic!
Here a crop of it, with extended sky and slight color modification (I know official image should be well  calibrated, but I don't like the green dominance...).

I agree on all points smile.gif
Airbag
Hah! Wonder if they read my earlier comment (see post 6 above) about the scale of the rover relative to the blueberries being off in post 5? The new wheel close up looks much more to scale, and yet is shown on the same rocks as the earlier "mini rover".

Airbag
mars loon
QUOTE (Airbag @ Dec 17 2005, 03:15 PM)
Hah!  Wonder if they read my earlier comment (see post 6 above) about the scale of the rover relative to the blueberries being off in post 5?  The new wheel close up looks much more to scale, and yet is shown on the same rocks as the earlier "mini rover".

Airbag

Airbag, yeah I looked at that too. Scale is better, but ...

I think its a similar spot, but NOT the same spot
Airbag
QUOTE (mars loon @ Dec 17 2005, 12:58 PM)
Airbag, yeah I looked at that too.  Scale is better, but ...

I think its a similar spot, but NOT the same spot

I believe the new image covers just the lower right corner of the original one; all the features match up as far as I can tell. The two images appear to use different field of views, which has led to some distortion of the ground features.

Airbag
Gonzz
sing along

Oppy birthday to you,
Oppy birthday to you,
Oppy birthday dear Opportunity
Oppy birthday to you!

biggrin.gif
DEChengst
Hey Dilo smile.gif

An idea suddenly struck me. How about cutting the letters on the birthsolcard out off an Opportunity selfpotrait deckpan mosaic ?
dilo
DEChengst, could you explain better your idea?
DEChengst
You take this picture:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre...kPan-B381R1.jpg

You cut the text used in the birthsol card out of this image and paste it into the birthsol card. This way the text in the birthsol card will be a picture of Opportunity herself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.