Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Waiting For Your Comments
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
cassioli

But it looks quite different in color version.

Luca
djellison
You need to do two thing

a) give the subject a more appropriate heading. A Sol, a pancam target description etc

cool.gif Give us a clue on what we're supposed to be looking at - it's a patch of typical Meridiani ground as far as I can see.

Doug
cassioli
You need to do two thing

a) give the subject a more appropriate heading. A Sol, a pancam target description etc

Give us a clue on what we're supposed to be looking at - it's a patch of typical Meridiani ground as far as I can see.

Doug

I don't want to influence your opinion... if you see just a patch of soil, ok, it's a patch of soil.

Anyother?

Luca
LunarFlare
Typical patch of ground--nothing unusual considering its location.
Gray
I see a soil surface with many 'blueberries' and some angular rock fragments. The fragments are of various sizes. Most of the rock fragments are partly buried, some smaller ones are sitting on the surface. It looks very similar to the other images we've seen.
David
Heh. Do we need more mysteries? I'm sure that if I stare at any patch of ground long enough I will think really deep thoughts. tongue.gif
I notice that most of these "blueberries" are very smooth and shiny, and some of them are reflecting a lot of light, turning them "white" in the picture.
The central grouping of rocks has some nice layering and a couple of grooves parallel to the layers, indicating, I guess, that some mineral in one of the layers has weathered out.
There's a lighter-colored mini-dune meandering through the top quarter of the image. I've seen these in other images but I don't know what causes them.
At the left of the light-colored meander, there's an odd-looking group of four small dark rocks; I suppose a broken fragment introduced from elsewhere. With so much cratering, and I assume redistribution of rocks that were originally further below the soil I'm not too surprised to see the occasional bit that looks like it doesn't belong. In that case, I'd expect to see more weird stuff the closer we get to Endurance.
cassioli
QUOTE (David @ Apr 28 2004, 08:25 PM)
  At the left of the light-colored meander, there's an odd-looking group of four small dark rocks; I suppose[...]

Ok, no tracks and no worms, then. tongue.gif

I'll have to search more... wink.gif

Anyway, you can't tell you didn't jump on your chair when you first saw that "small dark rocks", don't you? biggrin.gif

Luca
djellison
QUOTE (cassioli @ Apr 28 2004, 09:06 PM)
Anyway, you can't tell you didn't jump on your chair when you first saw that "small dark rocks", don't you? biggrin.gif

The one that appears to be sticking up a bit. Nope - not really. You look at enough rocks and you're going to see odd ones like that eventually. And lets face it - one thing Gusev isnt short of - is rocks biggrin.gif

Doug
cassioli
I am not lookin for "odd rocks"; I am looking for non-rocks. rolleyes.gif

I'll find them, eventually... tongue.gif

Luca
djellison
QUOTE (cassioli @ Apr 29 2004, 02:58 PM)

I'll find them, eventually... tongue.gif

Luca

Ahhh - wrong way to go about things

You look at what there is and come to conclusions on what there is.

You dont look specifically for something.

Doug
cassioli
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 29 2004, 04:12 PM)
QUOTE (cassioli @ Apr 29 2004, 02:58 PM)

I'll find them, eventually...  tongue.gif

Luca

Ahhh - wrong way to go about things

You look at what there is and come to conclusions on what there is.

You dont look specifically for something.

Doug

Well, then.... just rocks, rocks, rocks, sand, stones, sand, rocks, sand, stones, rocks and more rocks, and then sand, and then stones , and rocks, and sand, and rocks...

Quite boring. tongue.gif

I want to find something. biggrin.gif

... a Monolyth?

tongue.gif

Luca
djellison
This is a place for sensible discussion - not loonie babble.

Doug
cassioli
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 29 2004, 09:20 PM)
This is a place for sensible discussion - not loonie babble.

Doug

Ok, just kidding... tongue.gif (But at the beginning, I actually thought that "black rocks" were interesting...

OVER.
Let's go back to science.

Luca
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.