Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 141m Drive !
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Sunspot
Three days after switching to new software with mobility-enhancing features, NASA's Opportunity shattered the record for a single day's driving on Mars. The rover covered 140.9 maters (462 feet) during its 82nd sol on Mars, ending at 2:15 p.m. PDT, Saturday, May 17.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/daily/4-17-04.cfm
David
We seem to be getting a pretty good idea of what Endurance crater looks like now. But can anybody tell me how tall the crater wall is? It looks like a huge cliff, but in the past all the surface features have turned out to be much smaller than I'd expect.
Sunspot
The far wall of Endurance looks very steep, unfortunately most of the recent pancam shots of it were taken with it in shadow.
djellison
Well - using the genius MER Parallax Calculator - on the Sol 81 images ( before the uber-drive I think )

oops - it doesnt like it - possibly it's too far away ohmy.gif

anyhoo - the crater is what, 185 metres across north-to-south, and takes up around 1000 pixels of pancam width - yet is about 33 pixels high from the highest point to the lowest point we can see - so that would give us about 6 - 7 metres of height. But - there is probably about as much that we cant see - lets say about 12 metres of depth in total to the edge of the crater - but only 6 or 7 as that 'cliff' we can see on the far side.

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.