Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Erebus Complex
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Bill Harris
Looking at Erebus in a regional context, it should be remembered that Mars has been bombarded over the past few billion years and that Erebus is not a standalone feature. This MOC image shows Erebus in relation to other impacts in this area. It seems to me that the three large craters ("Purgatory", Erebus and Terra Nova) are contemporaneous since they appear equally eroded. I've also included an image layer showing overlying large sand drifts.

--Bill

edit: image updated
Bill Harris
Here is a larger scale regional image showing eroded craters in the etched terrain between Erebus and Victoria.

--Bill

EDIT: revised image per posts #3 and #5.
dot.dk
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Nov 5 2005, 05:57 PM)
Here is a larger scale regional image showing eroded craters in the etched terrain between Endurance and Victoria; the rover path is shown in green.

--Bill

I think it's difficult to identify some of those features you have marked as craters. And your rover path is a little way off to the left smile.gif
Sunspot
There is a large area around Victoria crater that appears to be free of dunes - or much smoother than the surrounding plains. Good for driving on smile.gif
Phil Stooke
Interesting, Bill.

"Find the circle" is a game which gives different results every time you play it. I think most of yours are OK, but I might add one or two, or remove a couple. But the basic idea is good, I think. There are craters here, very eroded but faintly visible. I would not have said the big craters were equally eroded, I think there's a clear progression of degree of erosion and filling, plus overlap - Purgatory (oldest), Terra Nova, Erebus (youngest).

And the rover path... your north arrow is off, and that's causing you to rotate the path. The image is within a degree or two of north-up anyway, and the long rover path should be near-vertical on the image. In fact you can see Viking and Voyager craters as small bright dots in the image north of Erebus, and the path should run between them.

This is all meant constructively. I really like the mapping work being done here, by everybody. I'm hoping Dilo will give us another reprojected map soon. And I would personally like to see some of this taken back to earlier in the mission.

Phil
Tman
>>I think there's a clear progression of degree of erosion and filling, plus overlap - Purgatory (oldest), Terra Nova, Erebus (youngest). <<
Think so too Phil. Fantastic that we are at a position with Oppy where we find all these different old craters for investigation.

Btw. Is Dilo on vacation or what's up with him?

Not again that someone suddenly disappears who can deliver such great generated views from that POV-Ray software again - like Erwann.
Bill Harris
You're right, the north arrow/path is off, and those three craters, although eroded, are not equal; Phil has the right sequence.

What can I say? I was still giddy at the prospect of seeing something besides sandy ripples, and in a hurry to get something posted before going out to do honey-do's.

Happily, the drawings are made on separate layers and it'll be easy to fix.

Sunspot, that smoothish area is the ejecta blanket of Victoria; it might be smooth as a babie's hind end, or it might be a field of impassable boulders...

Good feedback...

--Bill
RNeuhaus
Yes, Bill's circles drawings around Erebus are the ones buried impact craters. I found your comments very interesting.

I hope that with the sonar equipment of MRO (SARAD) will be able to describe better the nature of the subsurface arround that zone or not?

Indeed, the Victoria's crater must be the youngest of that zone since it is deeper, vertical alike slopes and have some rims around the crater or not?

Rodolfo
tty
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Nov 5 2005, 08:18 PM)
There is a large area around Victoria crater that appears to be free of dunes - or much smoother than the surrounding plains.  Good for driving on  smile.gif

To me it looks like an ejecta blanket. Whether it is good driving or not remains to be seen. unsure.gif

tty
Nix
As much as I hope for Oppy to reach Victoria, do some good science, observing a larger stratigraphic record AND get us some very 'perdy pichures' for a pan -when I look at Victoria I can't help thinking of Oppy getting stuck some distance off the rim in that dark sand all around it.

But I try to be optimistic rolleyes.gif You could say I'm preparing for the worst -not reaching that HUGE crater...

Nico
edstrick
Go back and compare Erebus's ejecta zone with Endurance's. All we saw as the rovers rolled up to the crater was odd (secondary impact???) pitting and some fractures here and there on a rumpled, relatively drift-free sand-and-blueberry-sheet with some scattered sulfate-rock cobbles.
dilo
Sol638 PanCam mosaic...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.