Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pancam Data Tracking - Password Protected!
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Tech, General and Imagery
jamescanvin
Is that it? All the lovely info from data tracking gone!

James sad.gif mad.gif
odave
So why did they do that? I never poked into every nook and cranny, but I don't think that anything proprietary was in there. Did the traffic get too high once the secret was out? Fear that, through interpretation of command sequences, some news might get out before it could be officially announced? Or just some mean spirited management type wanting to ruin all the fun?

Man, with Exploratorium down, I'm starting to feel cut off sad.gif
djellison
I think that the type and availability of data might have upset the - I know, I know, it sounds silly, but there are people who might have considered it a national security issue.

Rumour has it they're going to try and re-deploy the system for the likes of us so we can keep track of things, in a way that doesnt upset the powers that be.

Bottom line. They know. We now know they know, and we now know that they're trying to sort it out so we can see something again so we can know....you know?

Doug
Nix
tongue.gif I know

Nico
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 28 2005, 03:53 AM)
Rumour has it they're going to try and re-deploy the system for the likes of us so we can keep track of things, in a way that doesnt upset the powers that be.

Hope it would turn to be in reality so we can have fun time with MER and also for the future rovers and/or smart stations. Still dreaming... mars.gif

Rodolfo
djellison
Well - I'm not sure about Phoenix, but Jim is on the team for Mastcam for MSL and I'm sure he'll be doing his best to have similar facilities as for MER.

Doug
helvick
I don't think this was an ITAR issue, or at least wasn't just an ITAR issue. The interface was perfectly fine as a handy site for a team within a nice friendly firewalled zone but things need to be secured when they are exposed to the ever hostile internet.
jamescanvin
QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 28 2005, 06:53 PM)
I think that the type and availability of data might have upset the  - I know, I know, it sounds silly, but there are people who might have considered it a national security issue.

Bottom line. They know. We now know they know, and we now know that they're trying to sort it out so we can see something again so we can know....you know?

Doug

Thanks for the rumour Doug. Good to know we may get the information back sometime.

I was really coming to rely on it, no longer good enough to look at the latest images and see what the rovers have been up to, I want to know what they are going to be up to!

James
Sunspot
It seems to be working again now. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.