Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Rotini?
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
SCGuy
I think I see something in one of the latest Bounce Rock pictures. I have circled the area where I think I see another Rotini. I am sure some of you guys have photo enhancement abilities good enough to see if I really see something.
This is my first post. Please forgive my mistakes. But take a look!
Shimon
I think your seeing things.
djellison
QUOTE (Shimon @ Apr 2 2004, 11:27 PM)
I think your seeing things.

ditto

Doug
gregp1962
Have we yet heard what those rotini's are?
EckJerome
QUOTE (gregp1962 @ Apr 14 2004, 07:20 PM)
Have we yet heard what those rotini's are?

I've heard that they've seen similar features in more than one RATting. That being a piece of evidence that the rotinis are merely a product or the RATting process...much like curly wood or metal shavings that can be seen on the floor or around the cutting tools in any shop.

If you're hoping to hear the F word (fossil), these rovers are simply not capable of making that determination.

As a mechanical designer familiar with machining processes, I find the first explanation entirely plausible.

Eric
gregp1962
Yes ECK,

Your explanation makes sense. Have we verified that we have only seen these at rattting sites? I wonder if anyone has been able to reproduce them on earth.

I spent a few weeks in another Mars Rover forum. In that forum these were alot of people claiming to see fossils. Some of the claims were so outrgeous that I quit posting there.

There were, however, a few pictures that looked like some explanation was necessary.
EckJerome
I don't know what's been verified, I'm just relaying what I've heard at the rover briefings. I'm pretty sure they saw rotinis only on RATted surfaces...but, personally, I've only seen the one clear picture of a rotini myself. They mentioned doing experiments with the testbed rover they have at JPL, to try and duplicate what they see. No idea if they have learned anything from that, but the bottom line at the briefing is that they just don't know what they are.

I also tire of the legions of amatuer paleontologists in other forums. I've quickly come to realize that there is no point in debating them. Indeed, there are intriguing bits to be seen in many images. Explanations for some may be forthcoming, though I'm guessing most will have to be left for future missions to study in greater detail.
ljk4-1
System Maps Microfossils in 3-D

Summary - (Wed, 01 Feb 2006) Paleobiologists have produced 3-D images of ancient fossils - 650 to 850 million years old - embedded within rocks. This astounding accomplishment uses a technique called Raman spectroscopy, which allows scientists to see the structure of these ancient fossils in three-dimensions.

This could be useful for future rock samples returned from Mars since would allow scientists to detect and analyze microfossils without actually damaging them.

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/3d...ing.html?122006
ljk4-1
Life leaves subtle signature in the lay of the land, UC Berkeley researchers report

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=18910

"One of the paradoxes of recent explorations of the Martian surface is that the more we see of the planet, the more it looks like Earth, despite a very big difference: Complex life forms have existed for billions of years on Earth, while Mars never saw life bigger than a microbe, if that."
disownedsky
QUOTE (SCGuy @ Mar 31 2004, 08:01 PM)
I think I see something in one of the latest Bounce Rock pictures. I have circled the area where I think I see another Rotini. I am sure some of you guys have photo enhancement abilities good enough to see if I really see something.
This is my first post. Please forgive my mistakes. But take a look!

Don't see it. Bounce was identified as impact ejectum, and wasn't the same sort of rock in which the first "rotini" was observed anyway.
Richard Trigaux
I think it is a bit easy to take any random shaped blot, at the limit of visibility, and state it is a fossil. Of course it could be, but in the instance it is impossible to state. However Bounce is a magmatic rock, we don't expect to see fossils in there.
Oersted
I think I see a rotino (or whatever it is in singular!) in this image, is it just me? tongue.gif

bedrockshock
I now believe the rotini, are a bi-product of Rating. As a machinist of many years I would not have believed an abrasive process could produce such a chip-like structure. Its typically a powder. When the first rotini appeared I discussed this with my boss whom agreed with me that it did not seem possible. A short time later I would attempt to produce some examples of Rated rocks to show along with a talk I would give to some local amateur astronomers and a local public library about the making of the Rock Abrasion Tool for which we built the majority of parts for Honeybee Robotics. I choose some ordovician rocks I had because of their vuggy natue. At the time the meridiani evaporite stuff with the chicken scratch appearance interested me. Of course my methods differed on the equipment used but I duplicated the diameter and depth of a Rat hole using a diamond tool different than the Rats. It was not my goal to simulate exact conditions. One hole I made in a piece of vuggy sandstone ended with quite a surprise. Near the finishing point I noticed a drop of oil about to fall into the works. Machinery frequently has oil. Much to my surprise a curled chip instantly formed as the oil met the powder and the tool passed over it. I picked it up in disbelief. In machining, a chip forms along an edge as a cutting tool passes over it. Since the Rat holes are not on an edge either vugs or uneven surface contact would allow a curl to start. My interest in the Rotini changed to what type moisture that could have helped produce the chip from the powder.

Mike Farley
Round Rock, Texas
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (bedrockshock @ Feb 4 2006, 12:07 AM)
I now believe the rotini, are a bi-product of Rating.  As a machinist of many years I would not have believed an abrasive process could produce such a chip-like structure.  Its typically a powder.  When the first rotini appeared I discussed this with my boss whom agreed with me that it did not seem possible.  A short time later I would attempt to produce some examples of Rated rocks to show along with a talk I would give to some local amateur astronomers and a local public library about the making of the Rock Abrasion Tool for which we built the majority of parts for Honeybee Robotics.  I choose some ordovician rocks I had because of their vuggy natue.  At the time the meridiani evaporite stuff with the chicken scratch appearance interested me.  Of course my methods differed on the equipment used but I duplicated the diameter and depth of a Rat hole using a diamond tool different than the Rats.  It was not my goal to simulate exact conditions.  One hole I made in a piece of vuggy sandstone ended with quite a surprise.  Near the finishing point I noticed a drop of oil about to fall into the works.  Machinery frequently has oil.  Much to my surprise a curled chip instantly formed as the oil met the powder and the tool passed over it.  I picked it up in disbelief.  In machining, a chip forms along an edge as a cutting tool passes over it.  Since the Rat holes are not on an edge either vugs or uneven surface contact would allow a curl to start.  My interest in the Rotini changed to what type moisture that could have helped produce the chip from the powder.

Mike Farley
Round Rock, Texas

Mike:

Sounds like you nailed it - and the moisture question is one discussed here previously. Any pseudo-RAT rotini pictures?

Bob Shaw
lyford
To dispel further mis-indentification, perhaps we should start calling it a RATini.
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (lyford @ Feb 3 2006, 06:36 PM)
To dispel further mis-indentification, perhaps we should start calling it a RATini.

A more sense definition since I have not found the meaning word "rotini" from any dictionary e inclusive of Wikipedia. Good Librarian Lyford!

Rodolfo
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Feb 4 2006, 04:28 AM)
A more sense definition since I have not found the meaning word "rotini" from any dictionary e inclusive of Wikipedia.
try here
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Feb 3 2006, 11:38 PM)
try here

Arrrggg. It is funny!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif rotini is the same as a spring!

Rodolfo
dilo
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Feb 4 2006, 04:38 AM)
try here

It is funny to see how they change product name outside origin country... In Italy, we always call "fusilli" this kind of pasta and I never heared "rotini" before! biggrin.gif
Richard Trigaux
What kind of damp coul help the RAT to produce RATinis...

-oil, simply. When Oppy RATed Bounce, it was still fairly new, so finding oil is not absurd

-static electricity. It is much more prevalent on Mars than on Earth, due to the very dry atmosphere. It often gives the RAT dust a wet appearance. (the reason is that dust grain are attracted together by electric charges in much the same way water attracts them together, thus leading to similar forms)
lyford
QUOTE (Richard Trigaux @ Feb 4 2006, 12:54 AM)
What kind of damp coul help the RAT to produce RATinis...

MERinara sauce?
(ouch) tongue.gif
djellison
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Feb 4 2006, 04:16 PM)
I think we all agreed long ago that it would be best to keep politics off this site.

Agreed - some posts deleted as a result.

Doug
Oersted
Good call and sorry about the "oil" comment.
Shaka
QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 4 2006, 08:27 AM)
Agreed - some posts deleted as a result.

Doug

Doug,
May I ask if there is a similar rule regarding atrocious english puns ?
I'm all too aware that he purports to be from California, but "MERinara" convinces me he must be english, perhaps an MI-6 mole! I realise the damage has been done, but our archives may ultimately be seen by schoolchildren and those with heart conditions. I leave this to your discretion. huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.