Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Human Scale Anaglyphs
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Tech, General and Imagery
Pertinax
I figure this is the bestg place for my question, but I hate starting a new topic, being a programing-chalenged lurker! unsure.gif

What I am hoping would not be to hard to produce would be anaglyphs from Navcam or Pancam pairs that have a typical human stereo separation, not the exagerated separation that the Pan and Navcams have by design.

I know it is possible to do (though I lack the skills), but would it be hard to regularly implement so that we can get lost in some of the more striking panaromas on a more human scale?

Thanks for much for any thoughs.

-- Pertinax
djellison
Well - the cameras are 30cm apart, and always will be.

The best you can do is to overlap the images differently - by co-registering at different points. The human eye does automatic 'toe in' of the eyes so they both point directly at the point of interest. The only thing you can do to help with analgyphs in that regard is to co-register the images at what would be considered the point of interest.

Doug
Pertinax
They'd better stay 30cm apart -- otherwise bad things are hapening! biggrin.gif

It is a good point you make about the 'toe-in' or 'object-targeting' we enjoy. Your comments are spot-on and are somthing I had not considered.

-- Pertinax
ljk4-1
Talk on Rovers Kicks Off Science Cabaret

The inaugural session of Ithaca's Science Cabaret kicked off yesterday with mood lighting and tales of Martian explorations. The Science Cabaret, which was inspired by the European Cafe Scientifique, differs from more conventional lecture...

http://www.cornellsun.com/vnews/display.v/...1/4330ffddbc770
Malmer
QUOTE (Pertinax @ Sep 20 2005, 05:09 PM)
What I am hoping would not be to hard to produce would be anaglyphs from Navcam or Pancam pairs that have a typical human stereo separation, not the exagerated separation that the Pan and Navcams have by design.

I know it is possible to do (though I lack the skills), but would it be hard to regularly implement so that we can get lost in some of the more striking panaromas on a more human scale?

The way to do this would be to use some shape from stereo algorithm to calculate the paralax disparity per pixel between the two images in a stereo pair. Then use that data to generate a 3d surface and project the images onto that. (this is what the JPL people do to create traversemaps and stuff) Then you can render two new images from viewports with "human eye distance"

It would be very cool to create an open GL/direct 3d applet in which you could move around inside a panorama. (like in quake or something)

übercool would be to use a "CAVE" system as display unit.

CAVE

Then you would almost be on Mars.

Mattias
djellison
" a 3d surface "

a.k.a. the XYZ files at the PDS smile.gif

Doug
Malmer
QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 26 2005, 11:27 PM)
" a 3d surface "

a.k.a. the XYZ files at the PDS smile.gif

Doug

did not know that they had them there... that makes everything much easier.

project image/images onto xyz surface, render your views, sit back and enjoy.

/M
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (Malmer @ Sep 28 2005, 01:21 PM)
did not know that they had them there... that makes everything much easier.

project image/images onto xyz surface, render your views, sit back and enjoy.

/M

Mattias:

Only if you get the chainsaw!

Bob Shaw
Malmer
QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Sep 28 2005, 04:44 PM)
Mattias:

Only if you get the chainsaw!

Bob Shaw

lets send the IDDQD command to the rovers smile.gif

They could have used some IDSPISPOPD back in purgatory dune....

Mattias
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (Malmer @ Sep 29 2005, 10:33 AM)
lets send the IDDQD command to the rovers smile.gif

They could have used some IDSPISPOPD back in purgatory dune....

Mattias

Mattias:

So far as I can see, the MERs *already* have unlimited health! A chainsaw instead of a RAT, though...

Bob Shaw
Malmer
QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Sep 29 2005, 03:20 PM)
Mattias:

So far as I can see, the MERs *already* have unlimited health!  A chainsaw instead of a RAT, though...

Bob Shaw

All jokes aside, I would really like to have an application with "quakelike" controls and framerate in wich one could "walk" around on mars. if all MER XYZ files where stitched together into a single seamless 3d mesh and textured with the mer images taken closest to the "players" position it would make a very nice experience. The images could be streamed from the net like Midnite explorer or worldwind.

Maestro is nice but the controls are crap and the framerate is way too low. (feels very much like code written by scientists for scientists not gamedevelopers for gamers)

/Mattias
djellison
"if all MER XYZ files where stitched together into a single seamless 3d mesh"

Well - it could be done for SOME areas, but remember, there isnt complete imaging coverage of every metre driven - infact there are 100 metre + gaps in it much of the time.

A way to convert XYZ to .3ds or .dxf would be an excellent start smile.gif

Doug
Malmer
Ill look into the 3ds conversion... I will make some kind of 3dsmax script or something...

But right now Im animating 3d slinkys for a toy company commercial so the rovers will have to wait smile.gif

/Mattias
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (Malmer @ Sep 30 2005, 05:04 PM)
Ill look into the 3ds conversion... I will make some kind of 3dsmax script or something...

But right now Im animating 3d slinkys for a toy company commercial so the rovers will have to wait smile.gif
/Mattias

Mattias:

I'd be happy with some nice, localised, DEMs...

...some of us still think that VistaPro and Vue D'Esprit rock!

Bob Shaw
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.