Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Layered Rock
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Joffan
There's some superb images coming in of the stratification exposed on rocks in the Erebus highway... it looks like this place was worth a visit for itself (of course) and not just for sticky drift avoidance...

I should probably get excited about pictures of the sand and pebbles too but I can't seem to laugh.gif

attached is one such partial image posted 17-Sep
Bill Harris
Not only do we have stratified rock with the "mudcracks" extending through the layers, but also fractured, in-place rock. It should be getting more interesting...

--Bill
dvandorn
I'm not sure we can say with any certainty that the evaporite bedrock is "in place." As in in place exactly where it was laid down. We're getting close to the rim of Erebus, the evaporite here might well be the eroded-flat remnants of jumbled ejecta.

I just don't want everyone to get their hopes up that the evaporite paving is actually an in-place rock bed, when it's still quite possible that it's been as jumbled and broken up as the deposits we've seen in and around smaller impact craters.

-the other Doug
Bill Harris
Oppy is going to be pecking around the South Shetland outcrop for a few days.

Why does this Front Hazcam image make me think "Say Ahhh..."? biggrin.gif

--Bill
OWW
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Sep 24 2005, 04:18 PM)
Why does this Front Hazcam image make me think "Say Ahhh..."?  biggrin.gif

Diagnosis: this patient ate too many muffins.
djellison
18 months ago, I saw a blueberry muffin at a supermarket and chuckled to myself

Yesterday - I saw an ICED blueberry muffin in the same place in the same store... I began to wonder, with the rind observations, perhaps a product line manager for Morrisons is an MER fan smile.gif

Doug
jvandriel
A panoramic view of layered bedrock.

Taken on Sol 591 with the R1 Pancam.

jvandriel
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 24 2005, 06:43 PM)
18 months ago, I saw a blueberry muffin at a supermarket and chuckled to myself

Yesterday - I saw an ICED blueberry muffin in the same place in the same store... I began to wonder, with the rind observations, perhaps a product line manager for Morrisons is an MER fan smile.gif

Doug

I was reminded of this post this weekend as I nibbled on macadamia nuts thinking how much they looked like Iapetus.

glennwsmith
jvandriel, re the photo you posted of layered bedrock -- if that's not evidence of water, I don't know what is . . .
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Sep 29 2005, 07:07 PM)
I was reminded of this post this weekend as I nibbled on macadamia nuts thinking how much they looked like Iapetus.

You're nuts!
abalone
QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Oct 1 2005, 11:01 PM)
You're nuts!

First fossil find confirmed

Fossilised Court Jester complete with hat and macadamias

And you think he is nuts?
deglr6328
I think it looks like a robot biggrin.gif
Bill Harris
The evaporite bedrock is looking a bit different and interesting as Oppy heads westward around Erebus. One thing I've noticed are the "rounded" paving stones, the latest seen in the right foreground below, and an earlier color image of one.

Any ideas on what we're seeing here? This is a distinctive pattern: one was unusual, but two make a trend... biggrin.gif My thoughts are that they might be shock-related from earlier, eroded-away craters.

If anyone says "stromotolites" I'll throw a hissy-fit. biggrin.gif

--Bill
dvandorn
I think it's ancient ejecta from the Erebus impact, eroded down to flat "paving stones." Possibly with further evaporite formation on top of jumbled ejecta blocks.

-the other Doug
ljk4-1
What about the "rotini" fossil?

http://aix1.uottawa.ca/~weinberg/mars/$misc.html
helvick
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Oct 10 2005, 06:20 PM)
Any ideas on what we're seeing here?  This is a distinctive pattern: one was unusual, but two make a trend... biggrin.gif  My thoughts are that they might be shock-related from earlier, eroded-away craters.
--Bill

I think they are two small to be individual impact remnants but I don't see why they couldn't be shock effects from the Erebus impact that is now getting exposed. If there is a harder subsurface (and there is almost certainly Basalt somewhere under Meridiani) then surely there will be upward reflections of the shock wave after the impact that could very easily produce fracturing like this.

Nice features though, whatever the cause.
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (abalone @ Oct 1 2005, 07:50 AM)
First fossil find confirmed

Fossilised Court Jester complete with hat and macadamias

And you think he is nuts?

Only three perfored holes by bullets. tongue.gif
tty
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Oct 10 2005, 07:20 PM)
If anyone says "stromotolites" I'll throw a hissy-fit.  biggrin.gif

--Bill

I might try "stromatolites". No, honestly I don't think so, I canīt see any of the characteristic concentric layering one typically finds in an eroded stromatolite. Still, it's worth keeping in mind, if there is any type of macroscopic fossil we might have a realistic chance of finding on Mars it would be a stromatolite.

tty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.