Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 600sols:stephen Gorevan Princeton Lecture Sep13
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
mars loon
September 13, 2005:

Celebrate 600 Sols and get together if you're in the neighborhood by traveling to Princeton NJ for a lecture I have arranged by the RAT designer, Dr Stephen Gorevan, on Sep 13, 2005 at 8 PM.

All Forum Members and Friends are cordially invited to Stephen's lecture which is sponsored by The Amateur Astronomers Association of Princeton (NJ) at its monthly meeting. This free lecture is on the campus of Princeton University, in the lecture theatre of Peyton Hall on Ivy Lane.

For more info please check this topic :

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=1380

and this website:

http://www.princetonastronomy.org/

Stephen's outstanding mission contributions are highlighted in Steve Squyres new book:

"Roving Mars: Spirit, Opportunity and the Exploration of the Red Planet"

All forum members and friends are welcome to attend.

thanks,

Ken

Amateur Astronomers Association of Princeton (AAAP)
Program Chair
mailto:ken@princetonastronomy.org

PS: I'll be presenting a Mars rover lecture/display at the Franklin Institute Science Museum (Philadelphia, PA, USA) on Sat Oct 1 for their Astronomy Day event. My display will include some of the beautiful panoramas created by the extremely talanted forum members (with credit).

please check this website in a week or so after details are posted:
http://www.fi.edu/
Airbag
I attended this very interesting presentation by Dr. Gorevan. He spent some time talking about the various projects Honeybee Robotics is involved with, and then of course some background about the MER RAT and the tension-filled arrivals at Mars. Unfortunately, time was somewhat limited and I suspect both Dr. Gorevan and the audience would have had far more to discuss if time had permitted.

Some items that were new to me, and might be of interest to other forum members:

- Honeybee Robotics has worked on, and is still working on, drilling projects for various space-based applications ranging from the shallow hole RAT to 100km deep "inchworm" probes for e.g. icy moons. Their web site looks quite interesting too...

- They also work on all kinds of ultra-high precision actuators and even an electric motor suitable for unlimited operation at Venus temperature and pressure conditions.

- The "inchworm" deep drilling probe is being prototyped right now, and looks a like a 6-8ft long, 6" diameter torpedo. It would be RTG powered and make frequent up and down journeys in order to carry the cuttings back to the surface. For shallower (e.g. Mars) applications it could be powered via a cable.

- The sampler/corer for MSL has a bit change-out capability (!); Honeybee is also responsible for MSL's extensive sample manipulation and processing system.

- The RAT is much smaller than I had expected; it easily fits in your hand (see image below of an early prototype and sample drilled hole that Dr. Gorevan brought along). The cutting surfaces are only about the size of a match head each. Note this prototype does not have the outside brush; that was added later as it was found that the inside brush alone was not sufficient to remove the cuttings.

- The presenter showed pictures put together by some of this forum's members prior to introducing Dr. Gorevan (with credits, of course). Dr. Gorevan had not seen a RAT rotation movie yet and seemed impressed with jvandriel's neat animation! cool.gif

Finally, I have also attached a picture of one of the slides (I asked if it was OK to take pictures first) that shows just how far removed the final RAT is from its original concept. Honeybee did all this with pretty much no specifications from NASA!

Airbag
CosmicRocker
Thanks for the interesting report. Did he mention how many spare bits MSL would carry, and how deeply it would sample/core?
Airbag
You are welcome!

He did not mention how many bits, but his slides showed an "enhanced performance to that of the RAT and the [Mars Sample Return] Mini-Corer". The latter was to have samples 2.5cm in length and 0.8cm diameter.

He had to run to catch a train so there was not much time for questions at the end of his talk, unfortunately. It thought it was very generous of Dr. Gorevan to do his presentation is his own evening time though, and the audience seemed to appreciate his talk very much.

Airbag
Jeff7
RTG powered inchworm driller....aren't they wondering about the possibility of life on Europa? It seems quite possible to me that the inchworm could plummet into the subsurface ocean, if it finds it at all. Is the RTG sufficiently sealed to contain any radiation? I'm afraid I don't know much about the external radioactivity of those things.
mhoward
Excellent report, Airbag. Thank you.
ljk4-1
QUOTE (Jeff7 @ Sep 14 2005, 10:33 PM)
RTG powered inchworm driller....aren't they wondering about the possibility of life on Europa? It seems quite possible to me that the inchworm could plummet into the subsurface ocean, if it finds it at all. Is the RTG sufficiently sealed to contain any radiation? I'm afraid I don't know much about the external radioactivity of those things.

It would be most ironic if any radiation from the power source of an Europan ocean probe somehow affected any native forms there, perhaps giving their version of DNA the right kind of mutation to evolve into more complex life forms.

Ages later, a probe from Europa is seen wending its way towards Earth....
dvandorn
And as the hardy Europan explorers approach the Blue Planet, a mysterious signal arrives to greet them...

"All of these planets are yours,
Except Earth.
Attempt no landings there.
Use them together.
Use them in peace."

-the other Doug
mike
Places where you can "make no landings" make for a nice story, because then you can have someone land there, and then, UH-OH, LOOK OUT!
Jeff7
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Sep 15 2005, 01:04 PM)
And as the hardy Europan explorers approach the Blue Planet, a mysterious signal arrives to greet them...

"All of these planets are yours,
Except Earth.
Attempt no landings there.
Use them together.
Use them in peace."

-the other Doug

Well I'll admit to being out of the loop. This is mildly familiar, but I can not place it.
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (Jeff7 @ Sep 15 2005, 10:32 PM)
Well I'll admit to being out of the loop. This is mildly familiar, but I can not place it.

Jeff7:

In that case, you're unlikely to... ...dream.

It has, however, been a real pleasure working with you. Most stimulating!

Bob Shaw
paxdan
QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Sep 15 2005, 10:52 PM)
Jeff7:

In that case, you're unlikely to... ...dream.

It has, however, been a real pleasure working with you. Most stimulating!

Bob Shaw

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.....
mars loon

[QUOTE]He did not mention how many bits, but his slides showed an "enhanced performance to that of the RAT and the [Mars Sample Return] Mini-Corer". The latter was to have samples 2.5cm in length and 0.8cm diameter.

It thought it was very generous of Dr. Gorevan to do his presentation in his own evening time though, and the audience seemed to appreciate his talk very much.

Airbag

[/quote][/QUOTE]

Thank you Airbag for the nice comments and that well written report and the pictures from the outstanding and informative lecture by Steve Gorevan. Glad that you enjoyed the lecture and glad I posted it. I hope more forum members may be able to attend future AAAP astronomy meetings in Princeton.

Steve very generously loaned me his scale model RAT to show at my upcoming Mars rover lecture/display at the Franklin Institute Science Museum in Philadelphia on Oct 1 as part of "World Space Day", which will also include a few panoramas, etc from several of the very talented forum members
http://www.fi.edu/

ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.