Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steve Squyres Q & A - The Mp3
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Forum Guide and Announcements > Forum News
djellison
Sorry it's taken so long to edit it up.

This was my first hack at recording ' in the field' - so there's a bit of wind every now and again, and a coot quacks at one point...and you can hear the MD recorder.

But - you can hear it all smile.gif

It's 22 Mbytes, it's 5 seconds short of 50 minutes long..and it's here

http://www.rlproject.com/audio/ss_qna_030905.mp3

Thhat MP3 is sponsored by the kitchen staff of Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge - who saved Nico and I some dinner despite arriving 45 minutes late for it, it's all Steve's fault really smile.gif

To all of you who submitted questions that didnt get asked....I'm sorry - but I had to be selective on the day as we were running out of time - but I hope the quality of Steve's replies makes up for it. I didnt mention each members question specifically - but you should recognise your questions in there wink.gif

The winner of the competition has been notified, just waiting to hear back before announcing it publicly.

Doug
craigmcg
Have it on my iPod, ready for the drive to work tomorrow.
centsworth_II
Fantastic! Thanks to Steve and thanks to you, Doug. This has got to be the best interview ever done on the MER mission.
akuo
Great job Doug! Thanks to Steve and you.
dvandorn
Very nice, Doug! Great, great interview -- you structured the questions well, leading Steve through a narrative rather than just getting answers to individual questions.

I feel a great sense of affirmation at Steve's response to my question... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif And I must say, I *knew* some of those rocks Spirit was looking at up near Methuselah looked like welded ashflow tuffs! It's great to hear Steve say so, too.

So -- a new edition of the book after the MERs finally die, eh? So, we'll look forward to reading that sometime in 2012... *grin*...

-the other Doug
paxdan
Just finished listening...

Encore.. Encore.. Encore..

Fantastic Doug. Didn't want it to end.

Perhaps the answer to the book dillema is an illustrated version.
deglr6328
Excellent job! Thanks so much for asking the Carl Sagan question! biggrin.gif loved listening to every minute!!
Deeman
A big thanks for that, Doug !!!
Really appreciate your work as a whole!! wink.gif
mhoward
It's great hearing Steve address an audience that doesn't need to be educated on rover basics - there are so many more details in there than in other interviews. Thank you. I think I'll have to listen to it again later to take it all in properly.

There were even some great tidbits about what's going on right now; for example, looks like Spirit has just moved to the second position that Steve talked about, where it will take a color pancam mosaic to use with the earlier one-filter mosaic for long-baseline stereo of the Inner Basin area.
David
Could somebody transcribe just the little bit where Steve is talking about a fantasy landing of a third MER somewhere in the Vallis Marineris? There's a lot of noise and I'm not sure what he's saying.

This is a great interview, by the way, and many thanks to Doug for doing it. It's so much better than those one-hour NASA press conferences!

I am wondering, though, considering the extreme fatigue that Steve said he and the other team members are laboring under, with no end of the mission in sight -- what happens if they've so badly misjudged the longevity of the rovers that they last for ten years? Obviously this gives the opportunity (pun unintended) to do lots more science, but rovers can maybe endure better than human beings can. And ultimately, I think, scientists will want to have missions that have no specific ending date, if they can. How do you restructure the whole process of collecting and publishing to deal with an on-going mission that will only terminate by unlucky accident?
TheChemist
I enjoyed every second of it, a great many many thanks to you Doug !

Steve might be a retired professor by then and not the PI, but I really wish that at least we will have him logging in as a user at unmannedspaceflight in 20-30 years when (and if) Europa's exploration takes place !!!! smile.gif
craigmcg
I enjoyed it very much. Doug, if you get tired of what ever it is you do, you could work in the news interview business! Well done.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (David @ Sep 8 2005, 06:28 PM)
Could somebody transcribe just the little bit where Steve is talking about a fantasy landing of a third MER somewhere in the Vallis Marineris?  There's a lot of noise and I'm not sure what he's saying.

"...Melas Chasma, you know down in the Valles Marinaris. That one is reeeeeally tempting. That would have been a good one. whhoooba thumpa-thumpa whooooo fududafudafuda whoopa whoopa boom boom whoosh whoosh..."

I hope that helps.
SFJCody
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Sep 8 2005, 09:51 PM)
"...Valles Chasma, you know down in the Valles Marinaris.  That one is reeeeeally tempting.  That would have been a good one. whhoooba  thumpa-thumpa  whooooo fududafudafuda whoopa whoopa boom boom whoosh whoosh..."

I hope that helps.

Melas Chasma. That was my question! I actually feel a bit guilty for having edged some of the better questions out cos I was kinda anticipating Melas as an answer.

http://marsoweb.nas.nasa.gov/landingsites/.../maps/Melas.jpg
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (SFJCody @ Sep 8 2005, 10:08 PM)
Melas Chasma. That was mine! I actually feel a bit guilty for having edged some of the better questions out cos I was kinda anticipating Melas as an answer.

Thanks for correcting my typo.
craigmcg
One area that didn't get discussed much was the current state of Oppy. I know I'm a little curious about the current tactical situation there, from the rover driver perspective.
jamescanvin
Just to echo everyone above, that was a really great interveiw Doug, perfect questions and structured just right, thanks. Not only that but it was JUST short enough for me to listen to before leaving for work this morning.

Cheers,

James
CosmicRocker
Oh! My! God! That was the most amazing interview with Steve Squyres that I ever hoped to hear. Doug, you really should contact the BBC for a job. I never could have imagined taking the many disparate questions that the members of this community have posted over the life of this mission, and melding them into that wonderful discussion. It was very apparent that you and Steve were communicating on the same wavelength, and the result was astounding.

As mhoward previously noted, "It's great hearing Steve address an audience that doesn't need to be educated on rover basics - there are so many more details in there than in other interviews."

My sincerest thanks to both of you, for a deeper glimpse into Martian Planetology. I am going to have to listen to that interview very carefully, a few more times...
djellison
112 people have downloaded it so far smile.gif

Glad everyone likes it biggrin.gif

If anyone from the BBC is reading. Yes - I would like a job as a science reporter, particularly in the space field.

Doug
edstrick
Thanks for the MP3.. now I have to find time to listen to it with 3 brain cells still running.

I have most of the MER press briefings <and landing> on VHS and the most recent one on DVD-R. I intend to transfer all to DVD and hope to make them available.

Does anybody have the talk Squyres gave on MER at Ames a year ago, July?... it was a wonderful talk, full of info.. and I've never been able to capture it. The f__kwits at NASA TV reshow stuff without warning for a while, then it's gone forever.
SkyeLab
"If anyone from the BBC is reading. Yes - I would like a job as a science reporter, particularly in the space field.

Doug"

Doug,

Perhaps you could take over the Sky at Night when Sir Patrick retires biggrin.gif ?!?
brianc
'Top Banana' Doug, a really great interview
ilbasso
Cracking interview, Doug! Brilliantly done and very much appreciated. I listened to it with rapt attention on the Metro this morning. You are a lucky man to spend such quality time with SS. He was CLEARLY impressed at the quality of your questions and the depth of the knowledge from those of us in the forum. I'm sure he was deeply gratified to know that there are people out there who eat up all the data his team can dish out! Thanks again for being such wonderful ambassador for us.
Jonathan
djellison
QUOTE (edstrick @ Sep 9 2005, 11:23 AM)
I have most of the MER press briefings <and landing> on VHS and the most recent one on DVD-R.  I intend to transfer all to DVD and hope to make them available. 

Hellloooooooooo - would you like to step this way... wink.gif

Is there any way I could get a copy of that stuff? I'd really like the Spirit EDL sequence, and the first-uhf-pass-with-images, totally unedited smile.gif

Doug
lyford
Doug

Just wanted to drop out of my recent self imposed lurk mode (I have been working unreal hours lately and can barely read when I get home, let alone post) to thank you for an incredible interview. To echo what has been posted before, it's rare to hear a grown up Q&A that doesn't have to cover the same "Mars for Dummies" questions over and over again.

It was nice to be able to assign a voice to your posts as well - great work.

And the wind kicked in right as Steve was talking about Martian weather - how did you plan that ? smile.gif

Lyford
DarthVader
Wonderful interview, nice work Doug!
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (DarthVader @ Sep 9 2005, 06:41 PM)
Wonderful interview, nice work Doug!

Hear, hear. Although I've mentioned it elsewhere, I thought I'd take the opportunity to post my thanks to Doug here in his own forum. Nice work, Doug.
volcanopele
Can't wait to listen to this when I get home!

BTW, nice work on having such a fast server. Fastest download...ever.
RJG
Excellent! Forced me to break cover, stop lurking, and register on this forum so that I could thank you!

I copied the interview across to CD to listen in the car on the way to a meeting yesterday. So interesting that I listened to it all over again on the way back.

It broght it home to me how much we are normally starved of intelligent, detailed material on the normal media channels. Maybe your career as a space / science correspondent with the BBC will help to redress the balance wink.gif

Rob
Phillip
Just listened to the SS interview on a rainy Sunday afternoon ....great job Doug and thanks for making it available on the forum. Fascinating that Oppy is reaching the edge of its landing elliptical and heading off into land originally considered too treacherous. As to Spirit, Squyres said the current thinking on the downward descent towards homeplate, if I got this right, was first east, then south. Did you interpret that to mean they are contemplating heading down on the eastern side of the hill (i.e., to the east of Ultreya) (which looks steeper) or that they would first make a jog to the east, and then go down on the west of Ultreya?

But BBC if your are watching, hire this guy quick! It is a true skill to draw out so much rich information in so little time, and Doug has it.
Nix
I have this malfunctioning sound-card mad.gif that needs replacing and I've yet to hear it (again).

I do remember Doug doing very well and he could become an appreciated space-related reporter.
There was a relaxed mood during that meeting, despite the exitement talking about these precious rovers and their findings. tongue.gif

Nico
RNeuhaus
Maybe, someone has already transcripted the Steve's interview, I would like to read it !!! biggrin.gif

Rodolfo
Marcel
Last friday i couldn't wait: downloaded it at work, took my laptop with me, put it on the seat beside me during rushhour and listened on max. volume.

Thanks Doug, you did an excellent job. Steve obviously enjoyed the talk very much. Seemed to me you were very relaxed: you even said to him you better keep on going, because you are starving. laugh.gif That really showed the atmosphere of equality in the conversation. My compliments again !
aharris
Great interview! I put it on my media player and listened to it at work. Very enjoyable and a lot of good Q&A!

Thanks!
ustrax
Fantastic piece of scientific journalism Doug!
Maybe you've found your vocation... biggrin.gif

And having something on my hand that as witnessed that moment feels good...
Thank you for your words and wait for that bottle, it won't be long (do I send it to the adress on the back of the envelope?)

I imagine Squyres reaction...It must have been a relaxation moment from the rutless inquirer Doug... laugh.gif

I can't avoid sharing it...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/ustrax3/rav.jpg

I'm happy Squyres is on the science side...In the calligraphy area he would have some problems...

Kidding! Just kidding! tongue.gif

Ultreya Ho!
djellison
The winning question was the S1K bug, simply because Steve and I both joked about it - and as dot.dk already has a copy of the book, he's kindly donated it back to UMSF

I want to raise money to send down to help with Katrina clear up - so your call guys - do we do some sort of raffle - 50 tickets at 50 pence a go to raise a guarenteed £25, or do I put it on ebay and the best bid wins?

Doug
ustrax
QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 14 2005, 10:11 AM)
The winning question was the S1K bug, simply because Steve and I both joked about it - and as dot.dk already has a copy of the book, he's kindly donated it back to UMSF

I want to raise money to send down to help with Katrina clear up - so your call guys - do we do some sort of raffle - 50 tickets at 50 pence a go to raise a guarenteed £25, or do I put it on ebay and the best bid wins?

Doug

Can't you make a mention on e-bay that the money is for donation?
Maybe an unexpected bid appears...
djellison
Oh yes - you can do that - I certainly would, I link back to here etc - just so people know. Who knows - someone might go "wahg - £200." - and that would be great.

Doug
djellison
Downloaded a total ot 225 times smile.gif That's not bad.
CosmicRocker
Congratulations to dot.dk for submitting the winning question, and for being so gracious as to donate the prize back to the Forum! smile.gif Commendations to you Doug, for putting it to such noble use.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 14 2005, 10:11 AM)
I want to raise money to send down to help with Katrina clear up - so your call guys - do we do some sort of raffle - 50 tickets at 50 pence a go to raise a guarenteed £25, or do
I'd buy a ticket but there aren't any pence for miles around these parts.
dvandorn
Sur there are, Dan. If you're in Elk Grove Village, Illinois, anyway -- you can get pence from a number of different exchange counters out at O'Hare, which is probably about three to five miles away from you... smile.gif

I used to live even closer to O'Hare, in Mount Prospect. But I've been up here in Minne-snow-ta for the past ten years...

-the other Doug
Pando
Hi Doug, I just now had the chance to listen to this interview, as due to my terribly busy schedule I have had only time to visit the MER forums occasionally....

The interview was absolutely wonderful! Sounded like you both enjoyed the chat smile.gif Great questions, great answers, and great pace throughout the interview. You covered a lot of ground there! wheel.gif

A huge Thank You wink.gif

Pando
edstrick
Note: I was able to catch Steve Squyres Houston book tour talk on CSpan-2 Book TV this weekend. They first ran it a week earlier, may re-run it a couple more times in following weeks but you never know.
odave
I finally got some free time today and listened to the interview. Like everyone else, I thought Doug did a great job - thanks for doing it!

Towards the end, when asked about Carl Sagan, Steve mentioned that someone sent him an e-mail with a quote from Cosmos about a future rover mission. I cracked my copy open and think I found the passage - hopefully I transcribed it correctly. Have a read, it's very prophetic...

Excerpt from Cosmos by Carl Sagan (1980), “Blues for a Red Planet”, pp. 129-130:

There is another way to investigate Mars and the full range of delights and discoveries this heterogeneous planet holds for us.  My most persistent emotion in working with the Viking lander pictures was frustration at our immobility.  I found myself unconsciously urging the spacecraft at least to stand on its tiptoes, as if this laboratory, designed for immobility, were perversely refusing to manage even a little hop.  How we longed to poke that dune with the sample arm, look for life beneath that rock, see if that distant ridge was a crater rampart.  And not so very far to the southeast, I knew, were the four sinuous channels of Chryse.  For all the tantalizing and provocative character of the Viking results, I know of a hundred places on Mars which are far more interesting than our landing sites.  The ideal tool is a roving vehicle carrying on advanced experiments, particularly in imaging, chemistry, and biology.  Prototypes of such rovers are under development by NASA.  They know on their own how to go over rocks, how not to fall down ravines, how to get out of tight spots.  It is within our capability to land a rover on Mars that could scan its surroundings, see the most interesting place in its field of view and, by the same time tomorrow, be there.  Every day a new place, a complex, winding traverse over the varied topography of this appealing planet.

Such a mission would reap enormous scientific benefits, even if there is no life on Mars.  We could wander down the ancient river valleys, up the slopes of one of the great volcanic mountains, along the strange stepped terrain of the icy polar terraces, or muster a closer approach to the beckoning pyramids of Mars.  Public interest in such a mission would be sizable.  Every day a new set of vistas would arrive on our home television screens.  We could trace the route, ponder the findings, suggest new destinations.  The journey would be long, the rover obedient to radio commands from Earth.  There would be plenty of time for good new ideas to be incorporated into the mission plan.  A billion people could participate in the exploration of another world.
ljk4-1
QUOTE (odave @ Sep 23 2005, 12:34 PM)
I finally got some free time today and listened to the interview.  Like everyone else, I thought Doug did a great job - thanks for doing it!

Towards the end, when asked about Carl Sagan, Steve mentioned that someone sent him an e-mail with a quote from Cosmos about a future rover mission.  I cracked my copy open and think I found the passage - hopefully I transcribed it correctly.  Have a read, it's very prophetic...

Excerpt from Cosmos by Carl Sagan (1980), “Blues for a Red Planet”, pp. 129-130:

Replace "television screens" with "computer screens" and he's got it. smile.gif

Carl Sagan also mentioned two robot Mars rovers in his 1985 SF novel, Contact, one of which had a prophetic incident:

"They approached L’Orangerie, in the annex of which was a special exhibition, so the poster proclaimed, “Images Martiennes.” The joint American-French-Sovict robot roving vehicles on Mars had produced a spectacular windfall of color photographs, some—like the Voyager images of the outer solar system around 1980—soaring beyond their mere scientific purpose and becoming art. The poster featured a landscape photographed on the vast Elysium Plateau. In the foreground was a three-sided pyramid, smooth, highly eroded, with an impact crater near the base. It had been produced by millions of years of high-speed sandblasting by the fierce Martian winds, the planetary geologists had said. A second rover—assigned to Cydonia, on the other side of Mars—had become mired in a drifting dune, and its controllers in Pasadena had been so far unable to respond to its forlorn cries for help."
AndyG
Hi Doug,

I'm one of the 200+ downloaders and I got an hour to hear the interview today. I don't normally post "me too" replies, but I have to say the interview was well done, informative, and a cut above the usual level of reporting we find in the media. SS's humanity came through well (I haven't really heard him speak before.)

In summary (apart from the occasional wind noise) an excellent job.

Thank you!

Andy G
Redstone
Doug, I've now listened to the interview twice. A second time through was rewarding because there is so much good information packed into 50 minutes. Thanks for putting it all together.

Odave, thanks for the quote. It helps put Steve's comments in context.

And for David, ElkGroveDan and SFJCody, I put on the headphones, cranked up the volume and deciphered Steve's answer to the 3rd Rover Site queston.
Melas Chasma, you know, down in the Valles Marineris, that was really tempting. That would have been a good one. Its a scary site because a lot of it's covered by sand dunes, like 30% of that site was covered with sand dunes and you come down on the dunes, man, you're screwed. But, it would have been spectacular topography, and really cool layered rocks, so that would have been a good one.

I guess we have to remember a dune is not a ripple!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.