Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Creating Vertically-exaggerated Images
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Tech, General and Imagery
Bill Harris
Creating the vertical scale exaggerated "Phil-O-Vision" "Stookeygrams" is not at all difficult. The image editor I use is PaintShopPro 8, but this can be done with practically any image editor that has the ability to crop an image and resize an image.

The image used in this example is an Oppy color pan of Endurance from Sol 32:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre...ains-B034R1.jpg

Crop the image with the Crop Tool, centered on the crater. This cropped image has dimensions of 1100 pixels wide by 100 pixels high, but the size you select can be "whatever works".

--image: sol-32-endurance-cropped.jpg--

What you have is a wide, narrow image 1100x100. Using the Resize function of the image editor, you can "stretch" the image vertically to give any degree of vertical exaggeration. In this example, since Endurance crater is quite rugged, we will use a 5x (500%) vertical exageration. Resize the image, Width 1100 pixels (no change) and Height 500 pixels. And _voila_ we now have a 500% Phil-O-Vision'd image.

--image: sol-32-endurance-exaggerated.jpg--

Likewise, de-exagerating the vertical scale is done in a similar manner: if you have an 800x600 image that you want to "flatten" by 6-fold, you can resize it to 800x100 pixels.

Enjoy!

--Bill
TheChemist
A big thanks for the "Phil-o-Vision"TM stookeygram guide Bill !
This is so easy to do I'm ashamed I had to ask smile.gif
Bob Shaw
Windows Paint will also do it, if by chance you're not using a machine with any real software on it!
Phil Stooke
Cool! I wish I'd thought of it. Oh, wait...

Phil
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Aug 15 2005, 08:20 PM)
Cool!  I wish I'd thought of it.  Oh, wait...

Phil

Phil:

Welcome to the Board.

There used to be an old-time Member with a name similar to yours, but he was eaten by the Martians who live on the summit of Benny Hill.

Bob Shaw
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.