Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rub Al Khali
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
djellison
http://marswatch.astro.cornell.edu/pancam_...b_al_khali.html

Same 'format' as the Lion King pan - it's a beauty smile.gif

That makes it 8 1/2 pans to Spirit, 6 to Opportunity (including two halves smile.gif )

Doug
Nix
It sure is a beauty.. smile.gif the .tiff version is awesome. The Whalepan is there too, did you find any others Doug?

Nico
djellison
Well - the only pan I can think of that is taken but not there- is the Independance pan - and to be fair thta's probably not on the ground in its totallity yet.

The only think I'm sad about is that they never really took a nice backward looking mosaic ( say 4 x 3 ) at around the fram / anatolia area - showing the crisp tracks leading back to Eagle smile.gif

Doug
Nix
yeah, that's a pitty. That would have been nice. I've checked too on Independence..

Nico
djellison
I think what Steve's updates, and the Pancam site show us is that they're the driving force behind the publicity of this mission. Steve and Jim have clearly done and wanted to do so much in terms of outreach..

But the Legacy pan from spirit speaks volumes - they supplied it to the Photojournal and the JPL web team not long after it was taken....and they just never put it online.

They've done a better job of outreach on this mission than any other unmanned space mission in history...but

We've seen next to nothing from the Mini TES team - I appreciated that P.C. is a busy guy - but the last update on their site is the Haematite map taken from Opportunitys lander. sad.gif THe Mossbauer and APXS teams I can understand - they're based in Germany and actually - we've had lots of graphs from them...but again, a blog type entry like Steve's would be superb!

I think a mandatory outreach budget as a %'ge of the mission budget. Only a tiny ammount - but it should be in there.

I lookforward to how Hirise manages to be the Peoples camera - will it be as fast as MER for getting stuff online, or more like, say, Odyssey which is about 3 months delayed - or somewhere in between.

Doug
Reckless
Doug
I agree completely. I'd love to see more mini tes data and would like to see spectral data graphs accompanying as many pictures as possible. Funding for and outreach department for each mission and instrument would be great.

Roy F
Tman
Regarding Mössbauer team have you already seen this site (probably smile.gif )?

http://iacgu7.chemie.uni-mainz.de/klingelhoefer/mer.html

It's in German and in English.
djellison
ooooo smile.gif Nice stuff, far FAR better than the Tes efforts...but...7 months since anything ohmy.gif

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.