Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Realtime True-color (an Official Pancam Webpage!)
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Tech, General and Imagery
slinted
The Cornell University Department of Astronomy is now hosting a webpage dedicated to true color pancam images, with up-to-date individual frames and mosaics. It looks like these are relatively new pages, having hit counters in the low hundreds, though probably not for long!
Between this page and the dust devil page at LPL it looks like the team isn't relying as much on JPL for realtime content delivery as the mission progresses, probably because most of the science teams are working from their home institutions. Huge thanks to the team at Cornell for making these available to the general public.
Nix
ohmy.gif I know what I'm doing tonight! Since we all have been given a true-color approximation with the work you have been doing I must say I especially like seeing their images and mosaics of recent sols..

A big thanks indeed to the Cornell team!
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (slinted @ Jul 9 2005, 10:06 PM)
looks like these are relatively new pages, having hit counters in the low hundreds, though probably not for long!

193 hits? Not for long!
jaredGalen
My God! The pic of the trench left after Oppy got stuck in the dune is so different to
what I had seen elsewhere.
And the amount of dust on the solar panels. Cripes!!
Bob Shaw
The colours don't seem as, well, *real* as I expected... ...perhaps the artistic/scientific touch evinced by the magnificent images posted here have spoiled me - or am I alone in this view?
djellison
They do look a little..er..'vivid' in places.

Am I right in thinking that most of the stuff from the Whale pan did make it into the explor, but not onto the JPL site ?

Given that the 'Legacy' pan from Middle Ground ( near Humphrey ) was taken, downlinked, stitched, and sent to the JPL web team more than a year before it actually ended up appearing on the JPL website - it's not suprising that the Pancam team are doing something on their own.

Doug
abalone
Enjoyed looking through this fine gallery, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Looking at the Spirit gallery in color raises an important question for me and it is this. Almost all the loose rock laying about in the hills seems to be basaltic and yet when we occasionally spot some bedrock it appears to be of a different origin, does this mean that all the surface rock on the Hills is impact ejecta from the basalt plain below?
Jeff7
Wow, even colored pictures from the MI there. Nice.
dvandorn
Now, this is frustrating.

Remember how I told y'all that Cornell's Athena website won't load at all for me if it has the numeral 1 inserted after the word "athena"? And yet, it loads for a vast majority of y'all with no prolem?

Well, this Cornell site you are all talking abouit consistently acts like it doesn't exist for me. I've tried it, and various permutations of its URL, about a hundred times, now.

Nada. Zip. Zilch. Nothing.

Sometimes I think some of you are pulling a little joke on the rest of us, privately agreeing to gush over websites that don't exist and posting faked links to them... unsure.gif

-the other Doug
edstrick
"Almost all the loose rock laying about in the hills seems to be basaltic and yet when we occasionally spot some bedrock it appears to be of a different origin, does this mean that all the surface rock on the Hills is impact ejecta from the basalt plain below?"

Most of the loose rock in the hills is locally derived. Basalt chunks lobbed up from the plains tend to be markedly darker and "blue" in the composites of raw images. Local rocks are redder and not as dark, even when wind-cleaned. The bedrock tends to be more eroded, flatter lying, and less exposed to eolian erosion, and has more dust and crud adhering to it's surface. Maybe it has more weathering coatings as well; we don't have a huge understanding of the spectral variety of coatings on rocks. All landing sites have had brighter and yellower rock coatings that are clearly not just the global average red dust. Years ago, I thought it was an in-situ weathering product, but I think things are a lot more complicated than that now.
Phil Stooke
Other Doug... I feel your pain... at least I would if it happened to me... maybe some mysterious "security" setting on your system is getting in the way. But whatever bizzarre thing is happening, it might be OK with another browser. Worth a try, maybe.

Phil
johnmerritt
Other Doug,

Have you tried using the IP address of the site? http://132.236.7.11/pancam_instrument/images.html

Sometimes problems resolving the domain name is the source of these type of problems, and using the IP address instead will fix it.

John
Nix
New updated true color images (latest sols) tongue.gif

http://marswatch.astro.cornell.edu/pancam_...true_color.html

Nico
Nix
And again some new images, Spirit sol 546, ...

Nico
Nix
Check out the new ones! Up to sol 555...

Nico
dvandorn
Quick update on my connectivity issue -- I've narrowed it down to an issue with my cable modem. If I completely reboot my cable modem, the Pancam web page (and a whole lot of other pages out there) load instantly, no problem. I can even get Steve Squyres' updates at either the site that begins with athena or the one that begins with athena1 -- that's been an issue for me for quite a while.

After the cable modem has been running for a couple of days, several websites stop loading again, including this Pancam site. I'm not sure if there is some hidden problem with the cable modem's built-in firewall, or if my roommate's machine (connected in via a cable router) might not be bollixing up the cable modem with his copy of AOL and its attached utility, Port Magic (which manipulates the ports on your cable router and cable modem). I'm tempted to think Port Magic is closing random ports that some websites need to use to connect.

It's easy enough to check -- I'll just remove Port Magic from my roommate's machine and see if the cable modem still gets screwed up. (I used to Beta-test for AOL, and I know for a fact that this latest AOL client will run just fine with Port Magic removed from the system.)

So, at least I know where the problem actually resides. Now to see if I can find the actual trigger...

-the other Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.