Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dust Storm Season
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
jamescanvin
Given Steve Squyres consern for the upcoming dust storm season:

QUOTE (Steve Squyres)
And in the "it's always something" department... we are now facing a new threat to both vehicles. It is dust storm season on Mars. Dust storm season happens once per martian year, during the southern summer when the input of solar energy into the martian atmosphere is highest. And southern summer is now upon us. The atmospheric dust levels at both of our landing sites are high and climbing, and in fact the dust level at the Opportunity site is the highest we've ever encountered. It's not a serious threat yet, but it's a worry, and we're watching the dust levels in the atmosphere very closely.

The thing to realize about dust storms is that the threat is not high winds, nor is the primary threat dust buildup on the solar arrays. Instead, the primary threat is simply the attenuation of sunlight by dust that is suspended very high in the atmosphere, and the resultant loss of power from our solar arrays. RIght now we've got power to spare on both vehicles, and there is no imminent danger. But martian dust storms are notoriously hard to predict. In some years things are pretty quiet, and in other years what starts out as a small regional storm can blow up quickly into a monster that covers the whole planet, with solar attenuation that could be very bad for our vehicles. We have no way of knowing what's going to happen this year.

I think a thread about the possible effects is in order...

This page has some good info of the dust storm seasons. The peak season this year runs from July 01, 2005 (241° Ls) to August 16, 2005 (270° Ls). The good news is big bad 'global' storms are very rare so hopfully they won't be a problem anyway. (fingers crossed)

Steve mentioned that it is the loss of solar power due to the high levels of dust in the atmosphere that is the problem. I searched around for more info about how bad it could get and found this with regard to Sojourner:

a) Available panel power, any time during a clear-day (tau = 0.5) 6 hour period (20° N, untilted) exceeds ~11 W ( ~14.9 W at mid-day). This power could be attenuated by approximately a factor of two during severe dust storms (optical depth ~4, the worst that Viking experienced).

A factor of two loss of power wouldn't be good but that shouldn't be much worse than what Spriit had before her cleaning event, so should be survivable.

I think we'll have to be very unlucky to loose either rover to dust storms in the near future. I hope I'm right!

James
dot.dk
Latest flight director report also has something about Opportunity recording the highest tau value yet.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/mer/flightdir.cfm

But still no power numbers... I would really like an update to see were we are right now unsure.gif
Pando
I think Oppy is hovering somewhere in the low-to-mid 400Whr range in the past few sols...
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Pando @ Jun 15 2005, 04:16 PM)
I think Oppy is hovering somewhere in the low-to-mid 400Whr range in the past few sols...

Any idea how much of that is due to atmospheric dust as opposed to dust on the panels? i.e what was the power output the last time tau was low?

Thanks, James
Pando
The power levels were around 600Whr range before the dust storms started to kick in, two weeks ago or thereabouts. So yes, much of it is due to dust in the atmosphere.
edstrick
Dust storm season can run from roughly before mid southern spring to past mid summer. Some years have no global or globe-encercling storm. The Viking landers first winter on mars <soutnern summer> was hit by two globe-encircling storms.

Good views of "dust storm season" on Mars from Earth occur near perihelic oppositions: basically 2 or 3 oppositions, followed by some 5 oppositions closer to aphelion, the whole cycle taking very roughly 20 years. There was a major storm in '56, I don't recall adjacent oppositions, then in 71 the greatest ever, and a major one in 73. Probably not in 75 (before Vikings landed). 2 Storms in 77 (minimally observable from Earth, but observed from ground and orbit by the Viknigs), none the next Mars year (according to Viking 1) and there was a major storm (at least locally) as Viking 1 died from battery failure and command error the year after that.

During the perihelic oppositions in the 80's, I think the surprise was no major storms, and that prompted searches to see if there were other storm-free periods as seen from earth in the historical record, which I think was more confusing then informative, due to the spotty periodic occurrences of perihelic oppositions. It's very very unclear, at least from my memory, if there's any consensus on whether storms are random from one year to the next, or occur in clusters with a tendency for several mars years in a row to be storm-free.
4th rock from the sun
I does look as Mars is getting an atmosphere smile.gif

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...0P2428L7M1.HTML

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...0P2428R1M1.HTML

It really looks like a different place, less alien, more earth like. But also more rover unfriendly!
Jyril
I was hoping to see a good view of the Gusev crater rim from the top of the Columbia Hills. No hope for that anymore. sad.gif
RNeuhaus
I see no other no alternative to keep the power up unless Oppys sleeps more often. The next missions to Mars must not depend upon to the light power but another sort of source of energy. I was imaging if the Oppys has own very efficient light that can feed more energy than it consumes and helps to keep battery up all round year. unsure.gif

Rodolfo
alan

Interesting bright streaks where Oppy's front wheels were parked. They look like wind blown streaks.
dot.dk
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jun 15 2005, 02:47 PM)
I see no other no alternative to keep the power up unless Oppys sleeps more often. The next missions to Mars must not depend upon to the light power but another sort of source of energy. I was imaging if the Oppys has own very efficient light that can feed more energy than it consumes and helps to keep battery up all round year.  unsure.gif

So you want to make a device that produces more power than it consumes?
Good luck with that biggrin.gif

Before we can do that the good news is that MSL will use RTG power so sunlight and dust storms will not be a problem smile.gif
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (dot.dk @ Jun 15 2005, 11:37 AM)
Good luck with that  biggrin.gif

Before we can do that the good news is that MSL will use RTG power so sunlight and dust storms will not be a problem  smile.gif

Are you sure of this. I hope it would be so! biggrin.gif
dvandorn
QUOTE (dot.dk @ Jun 15 2005, 11:37 AM)
Good luck with that  biggrin.gif

Why is it a problem?

blink.gif

-the other Doug
Phil Stooke
It sounds crazy, but it just might work...

Phil
Phillip
Click to view attachment

Has anyone noticed the black circle in the sand located at about five o'clock within the navcam photo posted today in exploratorium http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...V4P1914L0M1.JPG? I have tried to include the photo in this post, but am not sure I succeeded. Any ideas what it is? It does not appear to be a mini-crater -- almost as if Oppy parked there over night and dripped oil biggrin.gif
dvandorn
Yes, I noticed it. I also noticed a circular feature in the interdunal soil that Oppy drove over just before it got bogged down in Purgatory.

If I had to guess, I might think that this dark circle is the nearly obliterated remains of a tiny crater. I've seen a few other circular marks in these dunes that seem to be tiny craters in various states of degradation -- this dark circle could be one that has been almost completely obliterated, leaving only a coloration "scar."

-the other Doug
Phillip
Thanks. Yes there is actually another black circular feature in the same photo that I posted above -- maybe one meter or a bit less to the right of the trench.
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (Phillip @ Jun 15 2005, 01:08 PM)
Click to view attachment

Has anyone noticed the black circle in the sand located at about five o'clock within the navcam photo posted today in exploratorium http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...V4P1914L0M1.JPG?  I have tried to include the photo in this post, but am not sure I succeeded. Any ideas what it is?  It does not appear to be a mini-crater  -- almost as if Oppy parked there over night and dripped oil  biggrin.gif

Not only one black circle but I see two other more alike black martian sand at the left and middle upper of the picture (right hand of tracks). The other, perhaps, might be another small crater.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.