Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old Images At Exploratorium
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
alan
Hundreds of new images posted at exploratorium today,almost all of them repeats. Is this some sort of glitch at exploratorium or did Oppy actually download that many images.
ToSeek
QUOTE (alan @ May 25 2005, 05:52 AM)
Hundreds of new images posted at exploratorium today,almost all of them repeats. Is this some sort of glitch at exploratorium or did Oppy actually download that many images.

They're on the NASA site as well, going all the way back to Sol 1, which I believe means that they're actually new images.
alan
If they are all new images where did they come up with that much bandwidth? Someone run high speed cable all the way to Mars? blink.gif
djellison
Well - theres only so much imagery you can take sat in a dune - so I guess they can really dump out the flash - so they can do a lot of remote obs of the dune post-egress to try and identify the 'flavour' of dune that leads to this.

Doug
Deimos
QUOTE (djellison @ May 25 2005, 10:08 PM)
Well - theres only so much imagery you can take sat in a dune - so I guess they can really dump out the flash - so they can do a lot of remote obs of the dune post-egress to try and identify the 'flavour' of dune that leads to this.

Doug

Kinda got ahead of themsleves, since they've already archived much of the data that just showed up. smile.gif

There was a reprocessing of data at JPL. Clearly some software at JPL got fooled into thinking things were new, and sent them out as such. I doubt Opportunity has enough flash for all that, let alone enough downlink capability (at least until MTO gets there ...).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.