Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When Will Oppy Be Free
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2
alan
Place your bets. When will Oppy be free of this dune. Pick the sol when all of the wheels are out of the trench and on top of the soil.
I'll start by picking sol 490
dot.dk
I don't think (hope) it will take 23 SOLS to get out of this! ohmy.gif

I will say in about a week we will be free. So I bet we are free on SOL 474 smile.gif

The winner get's a Mars bar right? cool.gif
CosmicRocker
Good idea, but I was hoping we'd get another sol or two before having to hazard a guess. ohmy.gif I think we may need to better define the conditions where we would all agree Opportunity is mostly moving freely. May I suggest a progress ratio of 1 unit of length of actual movement per 2 units of length of driving attempt?

I totally lost out on the Titan landing location poll because I got into that bet after all the good locations had already been chosen. I see that there are major risks when betting early, too.

However we define success, I'll pick sol 480, and take my chances. (I'm really tempted to guess it will be sooner than that, but I am sticking with 480.)
dvandorn
I'll say Sol 479, but that we won't drive very far (less than 20 meters) from the "free" spot for another three to five sols after that.

-the other Doug
chris
482 for me

Chris
djellison
I'm going to be brave, and out of character is predicting ahead of most people - and say that oppy will be up and out of the trench on onto the surface properly by Sol 475

Doug
TheChemist
I 'll put my bet on Sol 476, thank you... smile.gif

By the way, no official announcement of the Titan landing poll yet dry.gif
ustrax
wheel.gif 477 wheel.gif
djellison
QUOTE (TheChemist @ May 18 2005, 09:39 AM)
By the way, no official announcement of the Titan landing poll yet  dry.gif

I'm still waiting for some papers or announcements from the Huyg team to wrap that one up smile.gif

Doug
Tman
Is sol 483 still free? Ok! My vote sol 483 in terms of an average of 3 meters wheel turns per sol.
OWW
I think it will be sol 485.

But actually I'm more interested in when Opp will reach the 'real' etched terrain, now that the dunes prove to be such a pain. How many meters left to go?
mike
I say sol 470.
alan
A quick analysis of the bets so far (best to do this before most of the options are taken) with 11 bets in we have an average of 479, the earliest is 470 (mike) latest is 490 (me)
It seems I'm the most pessimistic here, hope I'm wrong.
garybeau
I'm going to go with Sol 486. I don't want to be too pessimistic, but things never go as quick as I would like to see. Plus, all the good numbers are used up. smile.gif

Gary
RNeuhaus
My guess is that Opportunity will be free of sand stuck by sun 491. On the other words, that is when Opportunity has reached at a point which it will turn on the other way.

Rodolfo rolleyes.gif
Chmee
477 all the way baby! Note to self: Send email to Steve Squires to rev Oppy up so i can win the Mars bar biggrin.gif
alan
QUOTE (Chmee @ May 18 2005, 07:25 PM)
477 all the way baby!  Note to self: Send email to Steve Squires to rev Oppy up so i can win the Mars bar  biggrin.gif

477's already taken how about 478 instead?
EckJerome
QUOTE (djellison @ May 18 2005, 09:35 AM)
I'm going to be brave, and out of character is predicting ahead of most people - and say that oppy will be up and out of the trench on onto the surface properly by Sol 475

Doug

Bob, I bid one dollar! Oh...wait. Okay, Sol 474.
garybeau
Hmmmm. May have to re-think my estimate. Steve Squyres update.....

"We're going to kick her into a slightly higher gear today, commanding 8 meters of wheel turns, and we'll see what we see. Optimism continues to run high. "

http://athena.cornell.edu/news/mubss/

Gary
TheChemist
Oppy might be out of the trench after the 2nd 8m wheel turn, which would make all of us (except mike) look like extremely pathetic pessimists smile.gif
dot.dk
QUOTE (garybeau @ May 18 2005, 10:00 PM)
Hmmmm. May have to re-think my estimate. Steve Squyres update.....

"We're going to kick her into a slightly higher gear today, commanding 8 meters of wheel turns, and we'll see what we see. Optimism continues to run high. "

http://athena.cornell.edu/news/mubss/

Gary

Now we're talking. looking forward to that drive smile.gif
mike
QUOTE (TheChemist @ May 18 2005, 02:09 PM)
Oppy might be out of the trench after the 2nd 8m wheel turn, which would make all of us (except mike) look like extremely pathetic pessimists smile.gif

I'm good. smile.gif
Myran
Are sol 479 taken? If not I have it.
Thats on a weekend? blink.gif
Ill take that one anyhow. tongue.gif
john_s
QUOTE (TheChemist @ May 18 2005, 10:09 PM)

I just had this horrible thought that Oppy will suddenly spring free, dash across the trough, and bury itself in the dune on the other side. smile.gif
mike
I was wondering the same thing.. but that dune in front of Oppy (behind?) looks pretty simple.
Bill Harris
QUOTE (mike @ May 19 2005, 06:28 PM)
I was wondering the same thing.. but that dune in front of Oppy (behind?) looks pretty simple.

Uh, so did the dune behind (in front of?) Oppy a few sols ago. wink.gif

I'll vote for "soon" on her freedom... wheel.gif

--Bill
dvandorn
QUOTE (Myran @ May 19 2005, 04:45 PM)
Are sol 479 taken? If not I have it.
Thats on a weekend?  blink.gif
Ill take that one anyhow.  tongue.gif

Sorry, I took Sol 479 two days ago...

-the other Doug
alan
sols taken 470, 474,475,476,477, 479,480, 482,483, 485,486, 490,491
chmee asked for 477 I bumped him to 478 since 477 was taken
so Myran how about 481?
Tesheiner
My bet is Sol 473.

Tesheiner
RNeuhaus
As remainder, now it is sol 470. The winner will get a ticket to Mars. ph34r.gif
mike
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ May 19 2005, 05:32 PM)
QUOTE (mike @ May 19 2005, 06:28 PM)

Uh, so did the dune behind (in front of?) Oppy a few sols ago. wink.gif

I'll vote for "soon" on her freedom... wheel.gif

--Bill

I'm not sure they could see the dune in which Opportunity is currently stuck when they started the drive. I wager $1 billion that Opportunity would have to try very hard to get stuck in the dune behind (in front of?) it.

And today Opportunity escapes its sandy trap! Enjoy.
ddeerrff
As a lurker, I have to jump in here and pick Sol 472.
brianc
Ref : JPL e-mail addresses for passing on congrats, mars bars etc

All seem to be of the format forename.surname@jpl.nasa.gov

e.g in the unlikely event Michael Jackson worked there it would be michael.jackson@jpl.nasa.gov

I guess MJ wouldn't have an trouble 'backing out' of difficult situations, perhaps thy ought to hire him
djellison
I'll try attaching a golden trowel as an email attachment, but I have a feeling it'll get stuck in my wireless ADSL router.

Doug
Myran
Alan said: sols taken 470, 474,475,476,477, 479,480, 482,483, 485,486, 490,491 chmee asked for 477 I bumped him to 478 since 477 was taken
so Myran how about 481?

Thanx for correcting me alan, I take 481, else it would have been only ½ a mars bar! laugh.gif

Joined up on this for a bit of lighharted fun, but to show my optimism andhope we might get a bit more on this Mars buggy that already have surpassed most peoples expectations in any way. Yes also mine, remember when Spirit sat in Gusev disabled only able to say 'beep' at the start of that mission? We've come a long way since!
Bubbinski
I'll take Sol 484 then. wheel.gif
EckJerome
Okay, Oppy, today's my sol....come out for a stroll! cool.gif
Myran
From AP: Engineers have managed to move Opportunity about a foot since then, and said it would take at least another week to free it.

Lets see Sol 474 + 7 days = 481! mars.gif
OWW
from http://space.com/missionlaunches/050524_rovers_update.html

Opportunity has also made progress, though not altogether scientific, at its Meridiani Planum. The rover is slowly but surely inching its way out of a deep sand dune, though mission managers don’t expect to free the robot for another few weeks.

and

At the current rate, it may be two more weeks before Opportunity once again reaches safe ground, Erickson added.

So let's see... 474 + 14 = 488. Looks like Alan's first estimate in this thread was pretty accurate.
CosmicRocker
Yep. The progress has been remarkably linear, so far. I wasn't expecting that, and wonder if I get a second guess. biggrin.gif

I have been plotting the progress that has been published by JPL and others so far, and the ratio of advancement to attempted distance driven has been pretty much constant.

I was hoping to post the data and some graphs, but other things prevented me from doing that tonight. The progress has been very linear, and the best ratio I have managed to derive is around 0.0056-0.0058. If someone wants to estimate the distance needed to set us free, the equation should be something like Y=0.0057X.

It is encouraging that the ratio has at least held constant.
CosmicRocker
OK, here are the plots, if anyone is interested.

The upper graph shows meters attempted versus centimeters advanced, for sols 464-469...the only sols I have individual data for. In the lower graph I have added a point that is the sum of all the previous points, and also a point gleaned from the recent space.com article (which apparently was privy to information from sols later than 469.) They reported a total of 48 meters of attempted driving and 27 centimeters of progress.

What I find most interesting is the fact that a linear best fit equation based on sols 464-469, constrained to pass through the plot's origin, also passes very close to the space.com point, which contains information about an additional 26 meters of attmpted driving.

Apparently the going has not been getting any better for our dear Opportunity, which is quite contrary to what I was expecting to see. unsure.gif
chokai
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ May 26 2005, 09:11 PM)
Apparently the going has not been getting any better for our dear Opportunity, which is quite contrary to what I was expecting to see.  unsure.gif

It's kinda stating the obvious here but I think getting back on TOP of the sand is going to be a pretty big problem for Opportunity, rather than actually getting out of the dune itself. I have wondered a lot over the last couple of days if they will simply "trench" rather than climbing out. My experience from driving cars on Long Beach in washington state is that sometimes once you have sunk in you'll stay sunk in, even if you can move, until you have some type of major texture change in the sand, such as going from dry to wet. And unlike us here on earth they don't have the luxury of finding some logs or boards and throwing them under the wheels to provide traction and lower the ground pressure until they do get up on top.
sapodilla
QUOTE (chokai @ May 27 2005, 07:35 AM)
It's kinda stating the obvious here but I think getting back on TOP of the sand is going to be a pretty big problem for Opportunity, rather than actually getting out of the dune itself.  I have wondered a lot over the last couple of days if they will simply "trench" rather than climbing out.    My experience from driving cars on Long Beach in washington state is that sometimes once you have sunk in you'll stay sunk in, even if you can move, until you have some type of major texture change in the sand, such as going from dry to wet.  And unlike us here on earth they don't have the luxury of finding some logs or boards and throwing them under the wheels to provide traction and lower the ground pressure until they do get up on top.

How deep is the soil between the dunes? 5cm? - 10cm? - 15cm?. I think if it`s only about 5 - 10cm Opportunity can turn on the bottom and then drive between the dunes till it get to a safer ground and back on top of the soil. Between dunes - the blue "road" left of Opportunity in this picture: Blue road
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (sapodilla @ May 27 2005, 02:51 AM)
QUOTE (chokai @ May 27 2005, 07:35 AM)
It's kinda stating the obvious here but I think getting back on TOP of the sand is going to be a pretty big problem for Opportunity, rather than actually getting out of the dune itself.  I have wondered a lot over the last couple of days if they will simply "trench" rather than climbing out.    My experience from driving cars on Long Beach in washington state is that sometimes once you have sunk in you'll stay sunk in, even if you can move, until you have some type of major texture change in the sand, such as going from dry to wet.  And unlike us here on earth they don't have the luxury of finding some logs or boards and throwing them under the wheels to provide traction and lower the ground pressure until they do get up on top.

How deep is the soil between the dunes? 5cm? - 10cm? - 15cm?. I think if it`s only about 5 - 10cm Opportunity can turn on the bottom and then drive between the dunes till it get to a safer ground and back on top of the soil. Between dunes - the blue "road" left of Opportunity in this picture: Blue road

Maybe Opportunity will find some ice under the floor after trying to rotate the wheels. It is possible to get out of sand only under exceptional conditions without any help. The bigest help is to drive toward to the negative slope. Sometimes, after sinking some cms, it will find a harder texture on the bottom, perhaps, it would be wetter (some humidity??? under the floor?) that would help Opps to get better grip to advance. This is true when I drive a mud floor, the wheels sinks until reach a firmer soil (stones) and it helps to advance.

Hope the Opportunity will be free by the sol 491 as I put my bet.

Rodolfo
sapodilla
I guess that Oppy need to back about 6 meters to get free. 6cm a Sol x 100 Sols = Sol 580

I think they (MER team) should stop playing with 5 - 10cm a Sol. They should roll the wheels 100 - 200 meters a Sol which is 50cm - 1 meter (0,5%) in reality, then Oppy should get free in 5 - 10 Sols.
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (sapodilla @ May 30 2005, 11:36 AM)
I guess that Oppy need to back about 6 meters to get free. 6cm a Sol x 100 Sols =  Sol 580

I think  they (MER team) should  stop playing with 5 - 10cm a Sol. They should roll the wheels 100 - 200 meters a Sol which is  50cm - 1 meter (0,5%) in reality, then Oppy should get free in 5 - 10 sols.

Its advancement won't be uniform all long way.

A very important matter is that Opps will reach very soon (about one meter) to start to slide down which will increase its daily advancement.

Rodolfo
djellison
Yup - you dont want to command too far - because it might suddenly pop up out the trench and head off like a scalded cock back towards Endurance smile.gif

Doug
Myran
Were making progress! biggrin.gif

Edit: Removed hotlink and say you can look for yourself instead by going to:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...PSP1214R0M1.JPG
Bubbinski
Couldn't Oppy be programmed for a 250 meter drive, but with built-in stops every 70-80 meters (of commanded wheel turns) to survey the scene and be programmed to stop if they are at a certain point away from the dune?

Also, it seems to me based on the maps and animations that Oppy's gone past the crest of the dune and is on the downhill slope. Here's hoping for freedom soon - I've got dibs on Sol 484 but we'll see what happens. It'll be interesting to see what conclusions and how many scientific papers come out of this impromptu soil science experiment.
Jeff7
QUOTE (sapodilla @ May 30 2005, 12:36 PM)
I guess that Oppy need to back about 6 meters to get free. 6cm a Sol x 100 Sols =  Sol 580

I think  they (MER team) should  stop playing with 5 - 10cm a Sol. They should roll the wheels 100 - 200 meters a Sol which is  50cm - 1 meter (0,5%) in reality, then Oppy should get free in 5 - 10 Sols.

I guess they don't want to risk driving it too much and then chance it hitting a spot with traction, and then it winds up driving itself right into another dune.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.